Tyre Tyres Tyres - Add your tyre reviews to the ROC database

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2004, 13:49

norwichred

Don't get me wrong.  Don't want remould or cheap.  Just not looking for the absolute very very best if that makes sense.  What size am I looking for?

Thanks for your advice!

HFB

Quote from: "norwichred"Don't get me wrong.  Don't want remould or cheap.  Just not looking for the absolute very very best if that makes sense.  What size am I looking for?

Thanks for your advice!

Lots of people go with Toyo T1R's for daily road usage and seem to rate them quite highly (considering buying a set myself for everyday road usage when my Yokahamas road wheels run low on tread)

I use Tyreleader.co.uk as they seem to be keenly priced and deliver for free.

m https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/ ... 89v-385148 m

Your rears (assuming they are pre face lift (do you have spotlights - if not then it is a pre facelift unless a modified bumper)) are 205/50/15's and your fronts will be 185/55/15's

Looks like you could get all 4 replaced for under £200 plus whatever you can wangle (for cash probably) with a local tyre fitter.

HTH

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

james276

Year of Roadster: 2005

Rear Tyres: Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun 185/55/15
Front Tyres: Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun 215/45/16

Supplier:Blackcircles
Cost: £262

Previously had Yokahoma AD043 on the car so was a bit concerned about 'stepping down' on tyre quality, however my fears were unfounded.

In the dry they're very stable and responsive. hey're very grippy and I've had no surprises even when trying to find their limits

In the wet they're a bit twitchier but nothing to worry about. Therefore again stable with no surprises- you'll know where the limits are

The Other Stu

Year of Roadster: 2003

Rear Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/45/R16
Front Tyres: Already on (Bridgestone RE040 Potenza - 185/50/R15)
Supplier:Blackcircles
Cost: £170 (10% eBay discount) fitted

Wow! What a difference. I previously had some autogrip tyres on which, whilst plenty of grip, don't provide the feedback that the Bridgestones do.
I took advice from the fella who sold me the wheels and he wasn't wrong.

However, they're not cheap for what they are. A whole set will realistically set you back around £330 on a good day. The Toyos can often be had for around £200ish (not fitted). I've not tried the toyos yet, but if I ever need replacements, I'll probably try them.
No Longer Here

trooper99

Hi, I've decided to go for Toyo Proxes T1R, and would like to ask what size to get for the rears?
Fronts are 195/50 15's, which it seems everyone agrees on, the rears however have different profiles, should I get 225/40 16's, or 225/45   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I would prefer the 40 profile as they should be a bit stiffer than 45's and they are £20 a tyre cheaper!
Its the same question if I do choose another brand, do I get 40 or 45's?   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

shnazzle

Quote from: "trooper99"Hi, I've decided to go for Toyo Proxes T1R, and would like to ask what size to get for the rears?
Fronts are 195/50 15's, which it seems everyone agrees on, the rears however have different profiles, should I get 225/40 16's, or 225/45   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I would prefer the 40 profile as they should be a bit stiffer than 45's and they are £20 a tyre cheaper!
Its the same question if I do choose another brand, do I get 40 or 45's?   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

225/45 is the way to go. Definitely. 100%
Although there is an argument for trying 225/40 on the T1Rs as they're made of jello....Not sure if anybody has tried
...neutiquam erro.

MisterK

I've got 225/40 16" rears and 195/50 15" fronts - Toyo Proxes T1R.  
Very happy with the set up and the ride.  For everyday use these tyres are fine & I'm sticking with them.  Had Bridgestones & Yoko's fitted previously but I can't fault the Toyo's for the money & what I want them to do.  Not the ideal tyre for a track day though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

shnazzle

Quote from: "MisterK"I've got 225/40 16" rears and 195/50 15" fronts - Toyo Proxes T1R.  
Very happy with the set up and the ride.  For everyday use these tyres are fine & I'm sticking with them.  Had Bridgestones & Yoko's fitted previously but I can't fault the Toyo's for the money & what I want them to do.  Not the ideal tyre for a track day though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

good stuff. WOuld be interesting for someone to try yours to see if it removes the "slop" from the cornering by dropping the profile
...neutiquam erro.

stavros58

Time came to fit some new tyres so I went ahead and had fitted 4 Avon ZV7 16" at the rear 15" on the front replacing the Bridgestone tyres that are no longer available for the front, total cost £260 + tracking at £40, a lot cheaper than the previous Bridgestones. I've done a few hundred miles on them now motorway and windy fast country lanes, After less than a week on the tyres I am very impressed and my confidence is growing as they start to deliver really decent grip. They feel every bit as good as the Bridgestones but quieter and what feels like a better ride. I've yet to use them in the rain which is amazing considering I live in the North but I'm sure being A rated they will be fine. ATM I would recommend them no problem for everyday use but I've no idea about track use as I don't do track days. They are rated A for wet grip and both size tyres are V speed rated whereas the Bridgestone were rated W for the rears and V for the front. I've had the car for nine years now and never had anything other than Bridgestone so I was hoping these will be as good, as I always found the Bridgestones reliable and predictable and I believe these are. As its early days I will update in a month and see if I still rate them as highly.
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

The Other Stu

s:D :D s:D  Thanks Stavros
I have Bridgestones which I'm enjoying at the moment, but very aware that the fronts are no longer available.
No Longer Here

ShieldsOnTour

Having been running T1R's for the last couple of years - and I have no real complaints about them - I decided to put something different on. Just put on Avon ZV7's (215/45/16) on the rear (the front's remain as T1R's) and what a difference. Not sure what the overall grip is like compared to the Toyo's (i've not pushed that hard .... yet ...) but you don't get the mid-corner wobble I got with T1R's on the rear. Overall it feels much more planted and stable. Only downside is that its a much firmer tyre so the daily commute is a little more uncomfortable (especially when you consider just how many cobbled roads there are in Edinburgh).
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

StuC

Can you remeber how you felt when the toyo's went on Tim?
Just aware a new tyre will feel better than a 2 year old one.

I had Avon Z 'something or other' when I changed to my current 17" wheels. The lasted well enough ans gripped well. Once approaching the legal limit for depth, the wet performance dropped off quite quickly.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

ShieldsOnTour

Toyo's (at the rear) don't last 2 years - I was getting 3-4 months out of them in the summer  :-) :-) :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

stewart@boro

Quote from: "MisterK"I've got 225/40 16" rears and 195/50 15" fronts - Toyo Proxes T1R.  

Same for me too
The fronts have done 26k whilst I got the second set of rears after 16K.
Them Edinburgh cobbles must take their toll Tim  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

stavros58

Just to update earlier post the Avon ZV7 are turning out to be a really good tyre dry grip, ride and noise level excellent and now I have had some lovely British weather the wet tyre performance is excellent as well, I've also done a couple of emergency brake tests in wet and dry and the stopping and control was also excellent. At £250 for 4 tyres I'm very happy with the buy. Even if wear is an issue and I've no reason to suppose it will be, but if so at this price it's not a major expense.
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

Ardent

always good to read afollow up report once a tyre has been lived with.

insx

Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"Having been running T1R's for the last couple of years - and I have no real complaints about them - I decided to put something different on. Just put on Avon ZV7's (215/45/16) on the rear (the front's remain as T1R's) and what a difference. Not sure what the overall grip is like compared to the Toyo's (i've not pushed that hard .... yet ...) but you don't get the mid-corner wobble I got with T1R's on the rear. Overall it feels much more planted and stable. Only downside is that its a much firmer tyre so the daily commute is a little more uncomfortable (especially when you consider just how many cobbled roads there are in Edinburgh).

I'm in exactly the same boat. I just put two ZV7s 215/45/16 on the back but I still have nearly new T1Rs on the front. I've only just done the drive back from the tyre centre but I too have noticed a firmer ride (the car had Accelera Alphas on there before). Tyre shopper was by far the best price I could find at under £139 fitted.

Jims

Currently running dunlop sport blue response(?something like that) on the front and dunlop sportmax on the back.  Not really impressed with either in terms of raw grip but prefer them to T1R's I've used on previous cars by a long shot. In that price range I have prefered the falken ziex alternatives

hq114

Year of Roadster: 2005

Rear Tyres: Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun 215/45/R16 (Pumped to 32 psi)

Front Tyres: Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun 185/55/R15 (Pumped to 30 psi)

Supplier: Blackcircles

Cost: £282.88 (fitted)

My car came with a pair of cracked Bridgestones on the back, and some sketchy looking No-Brands on the front. I've heard awful things about mismatched tyres on an MR2, so they needed to be gone. These Falkens were some of the few I could find that came in the sizes for both the front and rear wheels. I have nothing but nice things to say.I am not a skilled driver at all, but these perform consistently in the wet as well as the dry. Used them all through the winter and they have never put a foot wrong, or put me in a hedge. I've taken them motorway driving, B-road blasting and tarmac autotesting, they've been brilliant throughout. Highly recommended.

Ardent

Enjoyed mine when I had them.
had mine at at 26 on the front.

Jonrav

Yokohama Advan AD08R

Had these fitted a month or so back, and they have completely transformed the car. The ride is more composed than the previous V12 EVOs, the grip is fantastic with great turn in once again - something that was missing from the V12 EVOs. But the ride is the best thing about them, the bumpiness has disappeared and the car feels great to drive once more. The Yokos may be slightly more expensive then alternatives but well worth it in my opinion.

shnazzle

Another one sees the light

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Tomo70

Quote from: "hq114"Year of Roadster: 2005

Rear Tyres: Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun 215/45/R16 (Pumped to 32 psi)

Front Tyres: Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun 185/55/R15 (Pumped to 30 psi)

Supplier: Blackcircles

Cost: £282.88 (fitted)

My car came with a pair of cracked Bridgestones on the back, and some sketchy looking No-Brands on the front. I've heard awful things about mismatched tyres on an MR2, so they needed to be gone. These Falkens were some of the few I could find that came in the sizes for both the front and rear wheels. I have nothing but nice things to say.I am not a skilled driver at all, but these perform consistently in the wet as well as the dry. Used them all through the winter and they have never put a foot wrong, or put me in a hedge. I've taken them motorway driving, B-road blasting and tarmac autotesting, they've been brilliant throughout. Highly recommended.

I have the same tyres, purchased from Ardent   s:D :D s:D  . I also run 26psi on the front. Feels a bit better planted than running at higher pressure.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Ardent

As above.  Stock pressure.
Very pleased to hear you are happy with your purchase Tomo70.
I echo your comments. I was very happy with them.

Tags: