SMT to Manual Conversion - How I did it...

Started by Anonymous, April 10, 2011, 21:58

Anonymous

All - just for info

I've just completed an SMT to manual conversion - I'm posting the full tread on SC (Cap's been a real help with my constant questions) - it will take a few days to complete but may be of assistance to anyone in the same boat.

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to post here

Anyway the link is below

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?46221-SMT-to-Manual-Conversion-How-I-did-it...

Cheers

mrzwei

Excellent stuff, well done.
That guide will be worth its weight in gold in years to come.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Very impressed! Ive been looking for an actuator for my SMT a few weeks without success. Ive just aquired a manual front bump write-off, and am thinking of copying your example.
Both cars are MRSs.
If starting again would you swap gearboxes? Also I assume you swapped the instrument pods. Any hastle there?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve Green

Can I have first dibs on any SMT parts you take off. I have a 6 speed, with no problems, but would like to think I have the odd bit to resolve any issues.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

Will do Steve. Ive got a pod and steering wheel from a 2001 SMT here now if you want a full set.

Anonymous

Hi  sdick dick sdick 2ski - Re the gearboxes; No probably wouldn't have changed them if I could have competently made a plate for the SMT hole.  In fact if it wasn't for changing the clutch/getting the shifter rod stuck it would have been a really easy conversion.  Also I'm not convinced the gearbox from the manual has a lsd in it - so I might switch the old gearbox back in when I have the time.  I also haven't changed the instruments yet - wanted to tie the mileage to the donor car - just running with the Traction and Stability lights on at the moment - but don't foresee any issues.

if you have any further issues feel free to contact me

Anonymous

Thanks Dammo, Ill give it a go!

Anonymous

Quote from: "dick2ski"Thanks Dammo, Ill give it a go!

You were singing the SMT's praises here D!ck:    l viewtopic.php?f=75&t=34678 l   Why do you want to change it now?

Anonymous

Simple answer is Ive got two. My own roady is working perfectly, but a car I bought to break has an actuator fault.
Ive tried sourcing a replacement part(2k+ from Mr T) but had no joy, so Im looking for a solution.
The car is far too good to break, and has a bonded on body kit, which looks good, but ruins all the panels when breaking.
Also Ive noticed a few with SMT faults popping up, so f I can master the conversion itll be another string to my bow.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Ok good answer,let us know how you get on and if it's worth the effort.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Bit aprehensive, but what could go wrong???? (temping fate!)

Anonymous

Quick question, Both the cars are MRSs. Will this solve the key/ECU problem when I do the swap?

Anonymous

Just stripping the donor car and realised Ive got no transponder key. How important is it? I thought the MRS didnt have the same imobiliser function in the key?

Tags: