2001 Mkiii Rear window smashed

Started by Anonymous, April 13, 2011, 15:55

Anonymous

Hi,

The rear window of my 2001 Mkiii MR2 has been smashed by some idiot! Firstly i spoke to my insurance, direct line, and they sent autoglass out to repair it. They turned up and informed me that they cannot replace the rear window in a soft top and advised me to speak to the main dealer. So, i called Toyota and after a few phone calls back and forward they also advised it is not possible to replace and that i'd need a new hood - which they quoted me £1600 for!!!!

I've had a temporary repair done by a local garage, using a piece of perspex, but this is really annoying because i can now not get the hood down and the sun is out! I don't know what to do - If i go through insurance i am going to have to pay a large excess and lose my no claims, its all very frustrating as it was only caused by a mindless idiot.

Has anyone had any similar problems? Or got any advice?

Cheers,

Alex.

Wabbitkilla

Argh, there are some horrible people out there.

Autoglass and the dealer are correct, the window cannot be replaced, it does mean a full new soft top unfortunately.
However you don't have to have a Toyota soft top as a replacement, have a look at this;
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22955&p=293186&hilit=softtop+replacement#p293186 l

There have been a couple advertised on ebay recently too, both vynil and mohair.

Could be worth getting a quote for an after market one and talking to your insurance company about it?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

Sorry to hear about this. I think its worth speaking to the insurance company and asking them to replace the entire soft top under the windscreen cover, as that's the only way it could be fixed and they have insured the window glass under the windscreen cover. Others have done this before I understand.
Good luck with it all, hope you get it sorted quickly.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

frogger

Quote from: "loadswine"Sorry to hear about this. I think its worth speaking to the insurance company and asking them to replace the entire soft top under the windscreen cover, as that's the only way it could be fixed and they have insured the window glass under the windscreen cover. Others have done this before I understand.
Good luck with it all, hope you get it sorted quickly.

+1

If you swing this, you get your new screen with just the windscreen excess (if you have one).

Toplesscouple

You're not a neighbour to this chap are you, Tig?

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32852&start=30 l

Never did find out how he got on.

uktotty

window on ebay for £15 if you want a quick and dirty fix

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments people. Will speak to Insurance again and see if i can get anything through the windscreen cover... If not, i think i'll have to shop around and see where i can get a new hood from for the cheapest price poss!

Anonymous

Thought i'd update people with how i've got on - I had a temporary plastic window fitted to keep me moving. I've only just got round to speaking to insurance - they said to take it into Toyota, get it assessed and quoted, and then to go back to the insurance so that they can sign it off and get the work done through them with me only havin to pay the £75 excess. Happy days!!

Toyota have quoted £2800 (Yes, two thousand eight hundred quid!!!) for the new hood & fitting!! Now about to call the insurance and see what they have to say......

dcod

Quote from: "tig2705"Toyota have quoted £2800 (Yes, two thousand eight hundred quid!!!)

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   ... nuff said.

They quoted £97 for a 6 speed gearknob, I thought that was bad.

Good luck.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

kentsmudger

Might be worth a call to these guys if your insurers baulk at Toyota's price - They have agents around the country and do a replacement hood made by Robbins in the US. A member here had theirs done a while back which looked very well done - Much more reasonable price too - Website currently says fitted price £1044 +VAT
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Wabbitkilla

There are one or two second hand hoods on ebay at the moment, always a risk but worth getting the cost of one of those and a garage willing/trustworthy to fit it to quote?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Ive got a couple for sale. One is near perfect, other currently on ebay has a small defect pictured, if anyone is after a replacement. Instructions on how to fit are on here somewhere.

Anonymous

All sorted now. Insurance agreed to cover it, had to pay £400 excess though. However the new 'mohair' hood looks way better than the old one, and probs will add more than £400 value to the car so happy days in the end!

markiii

A new window can be fitted, teh problem is youcan;t buy one.

If you can get holdof a totalled hood with a sound rear screen its no big deal to unstitch the panel and restitch the new one in
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Ive got a car here with a kn*ckered roof. Youre welcome to the glass for £25, but its going to scrap next week, so be quick.

markiii

bargain
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kentsmudger

Quote from: "tig2705"...the new 'mohair' hood looks way better than the old one...
So where did you get that from?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: