2ZZ or turbo?

Started by Anonymous, April 1, 2004, 00:26

Anonymous

which out of these would be the cheaper mod including all labour work?

also, if swaping for a 2ZZ, how do you go about telling the insurance? -  

Me: have swapped my enigine but its still a 1.8
Insurance: oh, no extra charge then!

markiii

ref insurance they'd ask havs it increased teh power, and you'd say yes.

which would be cheaper? depends on your insurance company.

which is better.? it's as much personal preference as anything.

you could argue a 2zz is more reliable as your leaving it stock, but by the time you've bought it, had it fitted, paid for a full custom exhaust, to do it properly e.t.c you won't have spent far of teh costs of Perry's turbo kit.

you pays your money you makes your choice,

for me turbo = torque, that woudl be my choice.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

is the stock 1ZZ reliable enough for a turbo, meaning no parts need replacing for stronger ones.

What power figure do the turbo kits kick out? i would want at least 200bhp

markiii

TTE reckon that the clutch may need replacing if you go as far as 200bhp, but that your basically safe to wait and see if it blow get a beter one.

teh engine internals can cope with modest boost certainly enough to get 200bhp. after that, maybe.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

The stock clutch will *not* hold the level of torque and will fail sooner or later. Mind took probably a couple of months, including a hell of a thrashing at an airfield.

Due to a slight technical mix up, I was running at around 0.9bar for a while (@14psi) - nothing went pop happily! Have since dialled it back down to 0.5 - 0.6 bar which seems optimal on stock parts anyway. I wouldn't try and push the engine past 200bhp but IMO, if you really want more than that, you're in the wrong car.

Throwing the 2ZZ in will ultimately be more reliable, however, you will be reducing the ease of day-to-day driving as the torque moves up the rev range. To the get the most from it, the rev range is something like 6000-8000rpm. The turbo is a very lazy 3000-6000rpm.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Throwing the 2ZZ in will ultimately be more reliable, however, you will be reducing the ease of day-to-day driving as the torque moves up the rev range.

Actually it's pretty much the same as 1ZZ till 6000rpm...

Power/torquewise you can pretty much think of it as equal to 1ZZ up to 6000rpm. The difference is that just when the 1ZZ is about to start losing power and hit the limiter, the 2ZZ really comes alive.

I know it feels like it's missing a lot of torque from lower revs, but it doesn't. It just feels so cause of the massive upper rpm power.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

I stand corrected.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I have some but little experience with the 2ZZ.

It'd be interesting to see overlaid dyno plots of a 140 & 190 Celica. Anyone?
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

Quote from: "mph"It'd be interesting to see overlaid dyno plots of a 140 & 190 Celica. Anyone?

I have one at home...I'll post it tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

Anonymous

TURBO IT  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

mph

When Adam's finally finished his 2ZZ conversion, we'll all be able to have back-to-back tests. Should be interesting!
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

i would be under the umbrella of changing for a 2ZZ and then go from there as it's more than starndard and i think that altho a turbo do look nice and give good torque i think the reliablity of the 2zz is unquestionable.

Also at a later date and it's still not engoth power then there's nothing stopping you with putting better pistions cranks pulleys eyc and then if thast still not enogth then turbo the 2zz
   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"The stock clutch will *not* hold the level of torque and will fail sooner or later. Mind took probably a couple of months, including a hell of a thrashing at an airfield.

Martin is 100% right here but i thought i'd throw in the fact i've been turbo'd for nearly a year and still no clutch slip. (kiss of death i know)

MAYBE and it is a maybe the JSpec version has a different clutch, or i'm just a lucky sod. I have a clutch at home on standby anyway.

Tem

Quote from: "mph"It'd be interesting to see overlaid dyno plots of a 140 & 190 Celica.

Here's one with the US versions, so the 2ZZ-GE is the 180hp version...

heathstimpson

Whats the 2ZZ rev limit then  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mph

Something in my head is telling me that those graphs don't look right, but I can't think why.   s:? :? s:?  Interestingly, all my graphs for the 1ZZ pre-turbo and even pre-unichip peek around 6600-6700.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Whats the 2ZZ rev limit then  s:?: :?: s:?:

As an owner of both engines (n/a), I would recommend the turbo for it's more linear delivery (feels odd, saying that about a turbo).

The way the power comes in on the 2ZZE is not a good idea for a ME installation.  Note the ECU has been completely reporgrammed for the 111R.

And, the 2ZZE isn't that reliable.  There are 3 on Celica-Club.co.uk that have had the short engine replaced under wty.

Jap GT300

Limit is 8450 according to my diagnostics sheet from Jap Parts who ran the engine up when it was imported.

From the graphs ive seen of standard 1zz they look more like this

______
      /
    /
  /

Roughly of course.

[admin edit (mph): added code tag to preserve spacing]

Jap GT300

It wont let me draw it because it take out all the spaces.

aaronjb

Put your drawing within [ code ] [ /code ] tags Adam  s:) :) s:)  (Tags without the spaces, of course)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mph

Err, or get a mod/admin to take pity and do it for you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"Err, or get a mod/admin to take pity and do it for you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah but you can never find a nice mod when you need one..

Oh.. hello Martin, didn't see you there  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (Only kidding.. honest!)

Back to topic - didn't our Portugese member post a dyno chart recently? I'll do a quick search..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Like I said, those are from US Celicas...they might be different from UK/EU, but my 1ZZ dyno sure seems a lot like that one...
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/dyno.jpg m

2ZZ has different rev limits on different years. At least 8200 and 8400 have been used, maybe more...

Anonymous

i think its safe to say 2zz swap and then turbo it... you can get some mad power (if thats your thing) and it will be more reliable than turbo 1zz

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

there is nothing wrong with 2zzge reliabilty, just the fact that some people might mis-shift our 6speed and drop from 3rd into 2nd at 8,100 rpm might be slightly damaging to your 2zzge... and that might happen if you are not careful and if your transmission didnt loosen up a bit or you got used to it more... thats also an reason +02 models of our 6speed got stricter gates and are harder to shift smoothly

Tem

Quote from: "spwolf"i think its safe to say 2zz swap and then turbo it... you can get some mad power (if thats your thing) and it will be more reliable than turbo 1zz

Why would a turbo 2ZZ be more reliable than turbo 1ZZ (at same power level)...?

Also, don't know how much mad power really is, but here's one example of my idea of mad power from 1ZZ:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11742 m

Note that the dyno shows rwhp...and even if the hp number really doesn't seem that huge, think again. Let's take a 3500lbs Skyline, with 600hp and (estimated) 30% drivetrain loss. That's 120 whp/1000lbs.

Then take a 282 whp Spyder with 2200lbs and you have ~130whp/1000lbs. Suddenly the sub 300hp MR2 sounds pretty good, huh?  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

because - according to people who build turbos for both 1zz and 2zz - 2zz is much slicker design and tougher engine, and you could have same whp with 2zz while running at smaller psi, which would make it loads more reliable... 2zz-ge kits with t3/t4 do around 250whp at 8 psi, with no mods to the engine at all, no IC,  with no issues - except that the 6speed tranny likes to blow up if mis-handled

have no doubts though - my choice will be TTE turbo, nice and reliable, not too much power either... but 2zzge turbo is good stuff...

Tags: