2ZZ or turbo?

Started by Anonymous, April 1, 2004, 00:26

MRMike

Quote from: "spwolf"i think its safe to say 2zz swap and then turbo it... you can get some mad power (if thats your thing) and it will be more reliable than turbo 1zz

But if you turbo a 2ZZ your going to have to lower the compression ratio presumably, doesn't that negate the point of having the 2ZZ in the first place?

Seems a bit like reverse engineering to me???
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tem

For the "mad power", you have to pretty much change both engines internals...that's why I don't really see the reliability issue...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"
Quote from: "spwolf"i think its safe to say 2zz swap and then turbo it... you can get some mad power (if thats your thing) and it will be more reliable than turbo 1zz

But if you turbo a 2ZZ your going to have to lower the compression ratio presumably, doesn't that negate the point of having the 2ZZ in the first place?

Seems a bit like reverse engineering to me???

apperantly not, as written in the previous post, 2zzge turbos in the states can get to 250whp w/o any mods, and so far nobody there had issues.. You dont need new pump, no new injectors, no need to build up the engine, nothing... And they only use crappy 91 octane gas (which is our 95). Low boost needed is good for reliability... if you wanted to get more than 250whp, they are now (finally) parts for building up 2zzge as well.

Kingsypder's 1zz engine is nicely modified, at least 2k-3k in basic mods to the engine that you would have to do to get your 1zz up to that kind of power... and he probably put $15k-20k into the whole car

2zzge turbo kits appeared recently, but 2zzge seems to be holding up quite well.

To me, 250whp is a lot, and 250whp in a spyder is definetly  mad power... it also solves 2zzge low torque below 6k... and as juansolo posted in the other thread, you wont have much traction with that kind of power, kingspder said that he slid through 1/4 run (at lower boost than 12-13 psi needed for that 285whp) on the track  s:) :) s:) .

If you had money, then you would probably want 2zzge+turbo, it will get you more reliably to where you want to go... as long as you really know why you need that much power in lil spyder...

I shall be very happy with TTE turbo and 190 crank hp, if it comes out, but longer they delay it, it will be harder to tell the women to stop looking at that new apt  s:) :) s:)

Tem

Quote from: "spwolf"2zzge turbos in the states can get to 250whp w/o any mods, and so far nobody there had issues.. You dont need new pump, no new injectors, no need to build up the engine, nothing...

I wouldn't say nothing...here's a list for getting those 250whp from  e http://www.newcelica.org/other/dyno/keyshawn/xs2.htm m

Not really sure, cause I haven't been following FI 2ZZ's that much, but I think stock pump+injectors are fine for over 200whp, but not for 250whp.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I am really unsure of injectors, but they should hold up to 8psi, then again new injectors are $300-$400, if you check his info, he did not strenghten the engine at all actually... unlike 1zz that has to be seriously strenghten to handle that much whp

as i said previously, 2zz-ge FI is in its early stages, at this point the best kit (IMHO) is SF kit, which will give you around 250whp, with the kit, and alcohol injection for safety, all together $3.5k... not bad at all.. you dont need PFC or anything else, HOWEVER I am sure keyshawn got all of that since he wants to fine tune the kit to a lot more than 250whp... He got PFC, bigger pump and injectors so he can boost it all the way up - consider that he was runing 7-8 psi at that point in time... he could do a lot more with PFC

Nevertheless, if you wanted a lot more than 250whp in 2zzge, there are now finally parts to build up internals (up to 6 months ago, there were none)...

Anonymous

Its not all fun and games for the 2ZZ Celica owners eathier. Check out Smaay on newcelica.org's misery he went through with his turbo.

Honestly a Turbo 2zz price wise would be rediculous plus all the internals you would have to do. I persoanlly wouldnt feel safe boosting 250+whp with 11.5:1 Compression ratio on pump gas.

Turbo 1ZZ with some light internals would be nice!

Anonymous

Turboing any originally NA engine is a risk, doesn't matter which model it is. It just isn't meant to be. It would be foolish to think one WILL be better than another.

You make a choice, you take a chance.For every success story, there's a horror one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"Turboing any originally NA engine is a risk, doesn't matter which model it is. It just isn't meant to be. It would be foolish to think one WILL be better than another.

You make a choice, you take a chance.For every success story, there's a horror one.

Would it be impossible to decrease the compression ratio a bit? Here's a link from SC: http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10195&start=0

Tags: