well im f@~:>d!!!!

Started by Anonymous, April 2, 2004, 12:30

markiii

hmm, well even teh interim services include oil and filter change, so I suppose their argument still holds.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

I think replacing the engine with a second hand one may be the best bet.
Some of our members import broken 2s that the japanese guys have smashed up and it's quite probable that the engines are fine for reuse.
When mine goes ,and judging by others experience ,that's in about 10k as mines done 30k now, I'll try to go this route. There is a wealth of knowledge in the membership and everyone is very helpful.
Remember you are not on your own!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

my handbook states that i must have a service every 9,000 miles! it's J-spec   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

But servicing is required every 10K miles.

Anonymous

says nothing about 10,000 in mine, definately 9,000, maybe the japenese have shorter service intervals

Slacey

Quote from: "Tomr2"says nothing about 10,000 in mine, definately 9,000, maybe the japenese have shorter service intervals
It's pretty much irrelevant though as the warranty isn't valid on Jap cars in the UK anyway is it? If so, service it whenever you like, 9 or 10k intervals.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "Tomr2"says nothing about 10,000 in mine, definately 9,000, maybe the japenese have shorter service intervals
It's pretty much irrelevant though as the warranty isn't valid on Jap cars in the UK anyway is it? If so, service it whenever you like, 9 or 10k intervals.

it might be, just a bloody long drive to teh dealer to find out  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Sh*t im a bit scared now, mine is Y reg and I had to scrimp and save 2 get her. The engine going is last thing I want. On the up side she has done only 20k Been serviced by Mr T twice oil changed each time. Also got a great garage by me, best m8 runs it. Just got him to check the cat etc and change the oil for fully syntetic last week just incase.  Hopefully these are isolated cases, I HOPE

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"only 20k

Just got him to check the cat etc

Mine had about 20k when it blew...

And I think you should check the cats daily, if you want to notice them in time. Things seem to happen pretty fast when they start happening...

I'm still not worrying too much, these engines seem to be pretty cheap. Skip a major maintenance and you already saved enough for new (=used) engine  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Im sure these are just isolated cases, im sure if loads of 2's had this problem then a re-call would have been in order ?????????

aaronjb

Quote from: "j80rjo"Im sure these are just isolated cases, im sure if loads of 2's had this problem then a re-call would have been in order ?????????

[cynical hat on] Doubtful - engine failures are unlikely to cause anyone serious bodily harm and/or kill anyone, ergo the cost of sorting each case out isn't great. If we were talking about wheels dropping off and killing people, the potential claims against Toyota could be billions - that would warrant a recall. A few hundred, or even a few thousand engine replacements would most likely cost far less than a few million.. The cost of issuing a recall (in terms of every car coming back, in every market, along with the damage to image) would be far far greater. [/cynical hat off]

Of course, you'd hope things didn't really work like that but..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

But there wouldn't be THAT many MR2's to recall as there isnt that many around. I wonder what the % rate for engine failures in 2's is, and it seems to be getting higher all the time

GSB

Quote from: "Tomr2"But there wouldn't be THAT many MR2's to recall as there isnt that many around. I wonder what the % rate for engine failures in 2's is, and it seems to be getting higher all the time

As of this time last year, they'd built about 60,000 of them...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

worldwide though right?

GSB

Quote from: "Tomr2"worldwide though right?

Right, but they arent going to initiate a recall in just one area of one market, they'd have to do it worldwide...

You have to put these things into perspective though, out of 60,000 cars built (as of a year ago - theres possibly another 10,000 now) we as enthusiasts have only really heard of a handful of cases. Theres been no stories in the press about MR2's suddenly grinding to an expensive halt at the side of the road like the MG-F, and the car continues to shine through in reliability surveys... Yes there is a problem, but in the big scheme of things, its not that bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant a massive recall campaign.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Perhaps a recall is a bit over the top, but im sure I or one of us on here would have read something about the enigne being ( I have to say it sh*t if it only lasts 20 - 30k. Being a sports car and being made for those slighly, should I say heavy footed )

markiii

I think many of us on hear have read something about teh engine being shit.

Anonymous

accord to toyota gb there is no fault with the engine or with the pre-cats.
but the techs at the dealership say different and because toyota gb say there is no problem then there will be no recall.also the techs will not put anything in writing as i found out on monday.(cant really blame them as it would cost them there job)
i have lost all faith in toyota gb as i have recieved 2 different versions of the engine problem but cant do a thing about it.
its annoying that i chose toyota because of there track record with engine reliabilty only to be told the engine is faulty even before i mentioned that i had missed a service by the tech at the dealership in bromsgrove.
me missing my service may or may not have contributed to the problem i now have but considering the number of post regards to the pre-cat problem and toyota gb still insist that there is nothing wrong it makes me wonder whether a main dealer can be trusted.
sorry but i had to get that off my chest.  s:D :D s:D

SteveJ

But it still comes down to one thing - you arrived for the service with the oil level not even registering on the dipstick - how can you be sure that the problem was caused by an inherant design flaw and not your basic lack of mechanical empathy for the engine and it's requirements for lubrication.

Given that the oil hadn't been changed in 20,000 miles, it's not unreasonable or excessive for it have been used up by the engine in that time. Once the level had dropped as low as you reported, the VVTi will probably have stopped working (leading to a huge loss of power above ~3500rpm), and the wear rate on the cylinder bores will have massively increased.

There is no way that this failure can be blamed on the pre-cat problem that we are currently gathering information on. Yes - it could be the cause, but we will never know due to the lack of basic maintenance.

Tags: