1ZZ Haynes Manual

Started by K T M Rider, May 9, 2011, 17:54

K T M Rider

Hardly surprisingly (for a car now comfortably into it's second decade) a common question on this forum relates to the availability of a suitable MK3 workshop manual, with the usual replies something along the lines of:

'no haynes manual exists'

and then possibly some slightly cagey reference to ebay manuals that for copyright reasons we're not supposed to talk about.

Of course the Toyota info is also available for download by the hour, but if like me you much prefer to use an actual physical book (with photos) to trawling through endless PDFs on screen that seem to call for an SST every other page then the lack of a Haynes is a real pain.

After owing numerous other vehicles that never needed any mechanical attention that I DID own a Haynes for, the lack of a Mk3 Haynes feels like a very bad joke indeed   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   when your poxy unreliable early 1ZZ lump adds an ominous rattle to the oil burning as mine started to the other week !

(any sympathy if forthcoming would be misplaced - was my own stupid fault for bouncing it off the rev limiter a few times to see how much oil it was chucking out   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Minor rant over and my point is?

For anyone after a Haynes (or equivalent) I would say this, for the more everyday stuff you won't need one  - just search the topic on this forum / look at the how to guides / ask a question / and er, failing that maybe have a look on ebay but I'll let you work out what you might be looking for.

If like me, you find yourself contemplating a full engine strip get yourself a 1ZZ Haynes manual (will probably say Celica or Avensis on the front - just look for the magic words 1794cc & Petrol)

My secondhand Avensis manual (Haynes No 4264) cost me a paltry 8 quid and (for anyone not already aware) it covers our engine.

What a breath of fresh air, a relevant workshop manual that I can hold in my hands, talk about freely & buy for under a tenner   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

markiii

or just do it properly and buy teh toyota ones

haynes are pants
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"or just do it properly and buy the toyota ones

haynes are pants

Fortunately the BGB is pretty good (as are the Nissan service manuals) - Vauxhall ones are abysmal though, you're actually better off with a Haynes Book of Lies!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

i agree teh vauxhall ones are useless for a 1zz
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

cclarke99

Quotehaynes are pants
is perhaps a bit harsh, I know they're sometimes a bit generic, and some of the instructions "tap lightly to remove" rather optimistic, but they don't assume you have a 10000sq ft workshop, £250K worth of special tools and years of training like the official manuals do. Obviously as cars have become more varied and complex they've struggled to keep up, but having tried both, I'd be happy to use a Haynes manual. This is especially (as the OP says) now that you can pick them up on ebay for much less than the new price.

markiii

I stand by pants

Better than nothing maybe

mrzwei

Depends upon your requirement really.
I've tackled all the usual bits on 2CV's Sprites, Volvos, BMW's, Saabs, Minis, Hilmans, Peugeots etc, etc, etc and Haynes proved to be very accurate and reliable.
Pages upon pages of detailed engine / gearbox strip down data that I've never needed and not enough info on current diagnostics but for the routine, 'beat the garage bill servicing stuff' then  good 3/4 spanner diy.
Just used an American one to do some stuff on the Z3. Would have got there without it but quicker with it.
Definately better than nothing
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

K T M Rider

Quote from: "markiii"or just do it properly and buy the toyota ones

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear  I wasn't suggesting buying a Haynes Avensis manual instead of the Toyota manual, I was suggesting that for around a tenner secondhand some forum members who like to have a second opinion might consider it a worthwhile purchase as well as the Toyota manual, primarily for the reasons suggested by Cclarke.

Which is why I said first:

QuoteFor anyone after a Haynes..........have a look on ebay but I'll let you work out what you might be looking for.

what you might be looking for might possibly be copyr**** info   s:P :P s:P  

Quotehaynes are pants

You are entitled to your own opinion. My opinion is that when  newcomers come onto the site and ask about a Haynes, a more useful response might be to say that although no specific Haynes exists for the MK3, relevant sections can be found in the Avensis manual.

I would estimate the currrent market value for my own Mk3 to be around a grand tops in its currrent condition. For anyone buying an early roadster on a budget (the ones most likely to need engine work) who would like a hard copy manual to refer to, suggesting they purchase the BGB is pretty laughable given the likely cost.

£8 or £9 for a s/h Avensis manual is being realistic.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

mrzwei

I'm sure Haynes (America) won't mind me quoting the purpose of their manual:

'The purpose of this manual is to help you get the best value from your vehicle. It can do so in several ways. It can help you decide what work must be done, even if you decide to have it done by a dealer service department or or a repair shop; it provides information and procedures for routine maintenance and servicing; and it offers diagnostic and repair procedures to follow when trouble occurs.
We hope you use this manual to tackle the work yourself. For many simple jobs, doing it yourself may be quicker than arranging an appointment to get the vehicle into a shop......more importantly, a lot of money can be saved.....'

Fact is, if they did one for the 2 then we would all buy it. Maybe they would buy the stuff on here   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

The Haynes manual for my 1964 Austin 1100 was brilliant, although it never showed the rust or oil covered parts that I seemed to have  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: