Slightly hesitant when pulling away

Started by zipimini, May 12, 2011, 21:33

zipimini

Hi everyone,
I'm now a Roadster owner after a few turbulent years with an MGF. She had been stuck in a barn for nearly two years and I'm very pleased with her after sorting a few issues out, four different types of tyre (including directional and assymetric on the front), extremely bad tracking, cheap crap oil, etc etc. Got her sorted with a set of Toyo's oil and filter/air filter change tracking sorted and she's running well......except for when pulling away. Revs are around 600 on idle but when I goto move away the revs drop slightly and she almost stalls. The MGF used to idle at around 750 so can anyone tell me if this is a common easy fix or do I have to delve a bit deeper?
Thanks in advance

loadswine

Glad we have another Roadster owner on board.  s:) :) s:)  
You could try cleaning the mass air flow sensor, that might help.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

zipimini

Quote from: "loadswine"Glad we have another Roadster owner on board.  s:) :) s:)  
You could try cleaning the mass air flow sensor, that might help.

After life with an F the roadster is a pure pleasure. I'll give it a go and report back. I did run an OBD and one of the historic faults was engine running lean. Oh and if anyone in the Peterborough area needs an OBD scan just drop me a PM.

Anonymous

Check out my signature for a guide.  s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

Tickover is normally around 800rpm, so that could explain the nearly stalling.
You've been given good advice here, give the maf a clean and reset the ecu while you're at it (not that it probably needs it after that amount of time in a barn   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Welcome to the club   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

onion86

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"reset the ecu while you're at it (not that it probably needs it after that amount of time in a barn   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
I was going to say that too  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ; I assume the battery was long gone and you had to put a new one in it anyway, but I would definitely reset the ECU after the MAF clean.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

zipimini

OK guys, firstly thank you to you all for diagnosing the MAF sensor. I removed the sensor and cleaned it with Carb cleaner and a cotton bud. Disconnected the battery for an hour and then took her for a run............. Bloody hell what a difference!

I'd always been a little disappointed in her performance compared to the MGF (she is 200 kilo's lighter and officially only a few BHP down), but I took her out for a run and no hesitantcy in any gear, sorted. As it was a nice day I went for a bit of a longer test drive, put my foot down to overtake and.......She came alive!! It was like someone had put another 20 horsepower in her!
So once a gain a big Thank You to loadswine and Life of Bryan and everyone else who came up with suggestions

Tags: