Service intervals..

Started by aaronjb, April 2, 2004, 13:34

aaronjb

Ok - thought I'd ask a really dumb question  s:) :) s:)  (No change there then, I hear you say!)..

I know the service interval is every 10k (so, 10k minor, 20k major, 30k minor and so on?)..

But is it:

10k/1yr
20k/2yr

Or:

10k/6mths
20k/1yr, and so on..

The reason for asking is Toyota just wrote to me to remind me of my next service - it's 6 months since I got the car from them (and it had it's 30k service when they sold it to me), and I've done about 5k miles.. So.. Should I get it serviced now, or wait till it's 1yr/10k since the last service?

Ta,
Aaron

(I know, search search.. you should see the hits for "service interval"  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Every 12 months/10k, whichever comes first, IIRC.

Anonymous

they did the same to me... ignore it.

Its 10k OR 1 year, whichever is sooner. As it happens i had a service about 8 months owning the car as i hit 10k

aaronjb

Ta guys - presumably they expect me to be doing 20k p/a then.. Or perhaps the previous owner did. Assuming their mailing system is that clever  s:) :) s:)

It actually had it's 30k service at 27k, so I'll go back when it gets to 37k, or next October - whichever comes first  s:) :) s:)  (The former, I should imagine)

Thanks for the peace of mind  s:) :) s:)
Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Slacey

And as a note, let jonboy's experience be a lesson to us all - missing services can and will end in disaster  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Indeed.. although, my car has a FSH.. and when I checked the oil earlier (oops, 1/2 way between min & max - must top up) the dipstick appeared...

...rusty!  s:eek: :eek: s:eek:   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:? :? s:?

Pulled more rusty crud up with it as well, though the oil on the bottom seemed clean enough  s:? :? s:?

markiii

hmm, time for an oil change I think. Might run a flushing agent through it a swell.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

You probably want to get the dipstick tube changed under warranty as well - it shouldn't have gone rusty  s:( :( s:(

aaronjb

Indeed Steve - looks like the dipstick is rusty too.. certainly about 4" down from the top there's a brown 'mark' about 3" long on the dipstick (which I presume is steel cable)..

If I had to guess, I'd say previous owner (though I don't remember it being like this before I picked it up) or the garage left the dipstick slightly out, and moisture ingress caused it to rust - it's quite near to the drip trays, afterall. No mayo in the oil, so I'm not too worried about water contamination in the sump.

Definitely think I'll be doing a flush & fill this weekend though - assuming it doesn't chuck it down with rain!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

mine indicates sevices at 9,000 miles or 12 months its a j-spec. 9,000 is odd, why would it be different for jap cars?

i checked my oil the other morning when it was cold, it was exactly in between the min and max on the dipstick, but then checked it later on when the engine was up to optimum temperature and it looked as if it had gone a little thinner and was at the full mark on the dipstick. When is it best to check oil? Had service 600 miles ago by the way

markiii

according to my handbook,

get teh engine up to operating temp. wait 5 mins and then check it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: