TTE exhaust fix?

Started by WillsSayers, May 18, 2011, 13:37

WillsSayers

Afternoon to one and all!

The driver's side exhaust pipe (from tip to backbox); are these held in with a exhaust clamp, or are they welded in place?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Anonymous

goin by what i have seen in pictures from ebay etc etc i would say its a clamp

loadswine

Yes, that's as I remember it as well.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

definately a clamp
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Both tips are clamped. Its not any old clamp although some have made generic clamps fit with good success. Euro carparts part number is 712770690

Toyota can source and supply the gen article.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

WillsSayers

Can I just buy any ol' jobby from Halfords and get clamping? Is there a certain size requirement? From what I remember of my old one, there's no need for a gasket, correct?

PS Thanks for the awesome speedy replies, I love this place  s:) :) s:)

EDIT:
Just saw Spit's reply. Sadly Toyoto don't keep stock, so I'll have to try a Halford's clamp first and fore-most, then order one if necessary!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

Bekatee

Thank you... i won't get my hopes up just yet, but this is sounding positive, right...?! Thank you Wills  :-) :-) :-)
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

spit

The eurocarparts one works a treat. Dunno what Halfords stock.

IIRC, the clamp has a w-shaped groove as it squeezes the flanges on both the exhaust and tip together. With your bog-standard D-clamp you might struggle to get a seal and/or a firm hold.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

WillsSayers

Flanges - that's the word I was trying to think of when writing my last reply! That's great Ste, I'll see what they stock. Don't have access to a eurocarparts unfortunately, so I'll let you know how it goes!  s:) :) s:)

markiii

halfords won;t have them, but very likely a local exhaust shop would
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Just rang Unipart up and they've got some, and they're literally a 30 second walk from my office o/ Bonus!

Cheers for the time saver there Mark  s:) :) s:)

WillsSayers

Looks like the original clamp must've rusted so much, it just fell off. New clamp on has fixed the issue; fortunately I bought a spare rubber mount as well, as having the entire pipe hanging from the rubber mount caused the original to snap! All sorted now though for the cost of a fiver - thanks for your help everyone  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

good to see you fixed it mate

Bekatee

...with help from a little one... cause Wills couldn't slide as far under the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

deadmau5

For anyone else with this problem, the NEW part number for Eurocarparts is 712745101 and it's £1.68 inc VAT  s:) :) s:)

Tags: