Oil Change Tutorial ?

Started by Anonymous, May 18, 2011, 21:15

Anonymous

Hello

I have searched high and low looking for one - is there an oil + filter change guide/tutorial available out there?

Thanks !

nathanMR2

Not as such but its a fairly easy job. Im sure theres variations of this.

Get engine warm.
Jack car up on axle stands or ramps (make sure secure)
Remove underplastic tray from below the sump.
Remove Oil Cap.
Remove sump plug and drain.
Remove oil filter and drain.
Leave to drain for a bit.
Screw sump plug back in with new gasket on.
Fill oil filter with some oil, smear oil around the rubber ring on the filter and refit.
Add around 2.5-3l of oil. Run engine for a short period.
Top oil up to desired level.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Thanks, that's as much as I thought - I was really looking for some photo's etc.

Cheers

Steve Green

Ah but you missed the most important bit.
You will need a catch tray for the old oil and something to take it down to the recyclers in.
And some means of protecting your driveway/garage from oils spills, not to mention the rubber gloves and overalls to protect yourself.

Sometimes worth having a good oil filter wrench if your filter is 'stuck' on.

Photo's, for what MK car?
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

frogger

Have a search for pics for pretty much any japanese car of a similar age, it'll all look the same  s:) :) s:)

To add 1 more line to the instruction, to save you getting dribbled on...

Get engine warm.
Remove Oil Cap.
Pop sump plug back in for a second after draining
Remove oil filter, remove sump plug, and drain.
Fill oil filter with some oil, smear oil around the rubber ring on the filter and refit.
Add around 2.5-3l of oil. Run engine for a short period.

frogger

Oh and be bloody careful not to overfill as it approaches full.
The dipstick is crud, and hard to see where you are, and the top end fills up v quickly

Patch

What about a flush?  My oil gets bloody filthy after a while, I'd like to be able to change the oil and clean all of the dirty oil out before filling with clean... (I use 5w-40, by the way).

K T M Rider

If you've got an early car you might find this alternative method also works:

drive 500 miles / top up 1 litre

repeat.

still have to get your toolbox to change the filter though   s:( :( s:(
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

I change mine without jacking after I have removed the under tray and loosened the filter on the ramps as it keeps the engine level,filter can be reached easy enough from just in front of the rear wheel.

Anonymous

Manage to do mine without ramps and without taking the tray off, just use a drain tray, open the oil drain flap in the nappy, reach under  to undo the sump plug and oil filter, the only difficult thing is getting the old sump plug gasket off   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanks you all seem to know what you're doing, but I'm still none the wiser as to where the sump plug and the oil filter are located, and what socket I need to get the sump plug off ??

Also you've added the complication that you may / may not need to remove the undertray ?

s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

The under tray is easy to remove so just remove it,there is a small square flap in the under tray and the sump plug is directly above it in the middle of the sump.
the oil filter is on the front bottom of the engine towards the drivers side which is viewable from just in front of the drivers side rear wheel.Have you even taken a look before posting here? If these things are stumping you then maybe it is something you would be better leaving to a professional.

SimonC_Here

Actually there is one more REALLY important line missed out!

Get engine warm.
Remove Oil Cap.
Add around 2.5-3l of oil.
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!
Run engine for a short period.
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Actually there is one more REALLY important line missed out!

Get engine warm.
Remove Oil Cap.
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!

Get engine warm.
Remove Oil Cap.
Remove sump plug and drain into container.
Remove oil filter, remove sump plug, and drain into container.
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON
Take container with old oil in to the proper place to be disposed of

sorry still some bits missing. as for the op i would put it on ramps and remove the tray just makes life easier.

zipimini

Still some important stuff missing guys!

Get engine warm.
Remove Oil Cap.
Remove sump plug and drain.(the oil will pour out all over your hand and down your arm)
Remove oil filter, remove sump plug, and drain.(the oil filter will be stuck fast, use a filter wrench then as you unscrew the filter, say a few swear words as your knuckle hits the sump and enjoy the sensation of warm oil running over your hands and down your newly cleaned arm again)
Leave to drain for a bit.(in the meantime look for the drain plug and the oil filter that you dropped into the container)
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!
Drop car from stands or off ramps before checking oil level!
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!
Move car and spend the next hour cleaning up the black old oil that has somehow got everywhere on the drive. I recommend thinners, it cleans it up a treat and gives you a nice buzz

nathanMR2

Looks like i missed all the important stuff   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Steve Green

Depending on your driveway/garage surface take care of the cleaning products used.

If you have a tarmac drive, thinners of any sort will degrade the tarmac itself. Check the web for suggestions on what to use.
Even oil will degrade tarmac over a period so its a bit of the lesser of two evils.

I keep a bag of cat litter (fullers earth) to soak up any spill before trying to clean it up.

For the environmentalists among us, conside any chemicals you may be washing down the sewers.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

nathanMR2

I just use washing up liquid neat over any oil spills

Anonymous

I don't spill any   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanks all - I got there in the end !

The Scoop

Can someone please confirm the size and what material the sump plug gasket washer is?  Or what the Toyota part number is?  (Halfords were rubbish and didn't have it on their database)
Thanks.

frogger

Gonna take a punt and guess you've bought a Halfords filter? If so, get a toyota one next time  s:) :) s:)

Back to the washer - If you just turn up at the toyota parts desk they will supply you with one for less than a quid.

The Scoop

Quote from: "frogger"Gonna take a punt and guess you've bought a Halfords filter? If so, get a toyota one next time  s:) :) s:)

Back to the washer - If you just turn up at the toyota parts desk they will supply you with one for less than a quid.

I didn't buy a halfords filter, no.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    I bought a Mahle one from Opie.

I'm a little worried about fitting it though as it says on the side 10W40 when I'll be putting 5W30 in the car.  Mr. Opie reckons it'll be OK, but has anyone else had experience of these filters??  Would appreciate any feedback before I make the decision to fit or buy a Toyota one.

mikey P

Added some more to the guide like bolt sizes as may help someone deciding to do this for the first time.

Get engine warm.
Jack car up on axle stands or ramps (make sure secure) although to be fair its possible without even jacking the car up as everything is within easy reach from just in front of the driver's side rear wheel.
Remove underplastic tray from below the sump. This requires a 10mm socket and there are 6 bolts in total; 2 at the front 2 at the rear (which joins the rear plastic under tray) and 1 each side and also a plastic fastener that needs prizing out each side. If you want to remove rear tray it's another 3x 10mm bolts/screws along the back but its ok to just hang there while you work as it's not in the way.
Remove Oil Cap.
Remove sump plug and drain.(the oil will pour out all over your hand and down your arm) this is a 13mm nut and there is very good access to it.
Remove oil filter, remove sump plug, and drain.(the oil filter will be stuck fast, use a filter wrench then as you unscrew the filter, say a few swear words as your knuckle hits the sump and enjoy the sensation of warm oil running over your hands and down your newly cleaned arm again).
Leave to drain for a bit. (in the meantime look for the drain plug and the oil filter that you dropped into the container)
Screw sump plug back in with new gasket on. Mine didn't have a gasket on it and didn't seem to be to any detriment but advice is to use a new one and can it be bought for about £1 from Toyota.
Add around 2.5-3l of oil. You need a funnel and a tube as the hole is just below where the x brace sits.
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!
Refit all the under trays reverse of removal
Drop car from stands or off ramps before checking oil level!
PUT OIL CAP BACK ON!

Overall this job is very easy on this car as access to the oil filter is very easy so if you are considering going DIY or paying someone I would recommend having a go.

AndyM

Quote from: "mikey P"Remove Oil Cap.
Remove sump plug and drain.(the oil will pour out all over your hand and down your arm) this is a 13mm nut and there is very good access to it.

Just my 2p worth but I do this the other way round, I've found leaving the cap on until after the plug is removed arrests the flow slightly resulting in a partially less oily arm)  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tags: