Binding rear brakes

Started by Willbott, May 19, 2011, 14:52

Willbott

Hello lovely MR2 people!

Can anyone help with a little question? Just started finally using the MR2 every day, which is great! I had all the brakes renewed both putting it to work as my daily drive.

The brakes are great, but since they've been fitted (new discs and pads all round) the rear brakes seem to be binding a little. After about 10 miles driving they start making slight groaning noises in fast bends, and at the end of the commute (about 15 miles) the rear alloys are very warm to the touch (but not the fronts) - this would seem to indicate binding brakes - oh and the brake dust on the wheels!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Is this normal as the new brakes "bed in", or should I have them looked at again by the garage that fitted them? I've done about 50 miles since they were fitted, so I was wondering if they needed more time to bed in, or should they be re-adjusted.

Thanks for any help!  s:D :D s:D  

Will

Anonymous

sounds like sticking calipers on the back possible the pistons on the back were pitted slightly and now they been pushed back in causing them to stick. either way its not them bedding in as it would not bind / heat the wheel is the slightest.

Willbott

Cheers Richard,

That's what I thought might be the case. I was giving them a few miles to see if it cleared up, it does seem like they are binding on.

I guess I should get the garage to see if they can sort it out.

Thanks for your help mate.

Will.

Anonymous

calipers will need to be refurb only fix for it mate. that or new one which is normally a refurb caliper anyway.

Willbott

Cheers Richard. That's good to know.

Garage that fitted them just called and said they'd take a look next week. If they can't sort it I'll order some callipers from Camskill I think. Going to have a look at the handbrake cable too, as it seems like a bit of a coincidence that both both rear wheels are getting as warm as each other...

I'll let you know what the outcome is...  s:? :? s:?  

Will

Tags: