toyota smt

Started by Anonymous, April 3, 2004, 19:33

Anonymous

major help needed   nov 2002 toyota mr2 smt facelift 03
march 2003 when i first took off the hard top (had it on from new)
the hood wouldnt close propery took to dealer adjusted ok
a few days later still not right they adjusted again but the next time i used it the hood rucked up above window .
took to dealer again and in putting it right the hood is now damaged
replaced under waranty along with hood frame.
later on in year knocking from  front suspension regrease top mounts
still knocking took back told road springs incorrectly fitted from new!!!
still knocking so the do a "mod" which the do to rav 4 put a piece of rubber under spring to stop rubbing also replaced strut top under waranty
gearbox
whilst driving comming up to junction car stalls cant get into gear managed to get to dealer who informes me after 2 days that the gear box has lost its memory so cant find first gear has to be reprogamed via ecu
about month later same happens again
dealer orders new clutch and actuator puts back in now got bad clutch judder.
orders up another newclutch and flywheel
needs new set of alloys as original ones corroding changed under waranty
dealer fits new clutch and flywheel but cant program the car to start when they do gearbox can only find 5 gear and that is where the car is now
they cant start it and dont know what to do
any body out there help!!!!!!!!!

Slacey

Hmmm. Sounds like you have a problem or two  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

SteveJ is our SMT expert, he's around a lot, but PM him as well as I'm sure he'll have some useful advice.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Sounds horribly reminiscent of my first car (2001 Y SMT) - I had a failure in the pump/control assembly which basically meant whenever selecting third gear, the system lost all pressure, and the gearbox would shut-down, locked in gear and no way to release the clutch (very scary when you approach a roundabout and the engine's anti-stall program kicks in!)

The car spent six weeks at the dealers being 'fixed' during which they had to register a brand-new Corolla T-Sport from their showroom for me to drive   s8) 8) s8)  . Eventually they did manage to fix it, but it was always a little 'brain-damaged' after that - it would snatch the clutch changing up from 1st to 2nd occasionally, especially if you made a quick start in 1st, then took it easy in 2nd gear.

As I understand it from the dealers, they ended up replacing the pump assy, the actuator assy (combined gear select and clutch actuator) and the ECU. Essentially the whole darned system except the wiring harness. Even then they couldn't get the car to drive properly, but this was traced to 2 things - first they spilled some of the fluid whilst dismantling the system, and didn't top up the reservoir (if it's not absolutely full, you get air into the system with some very strange results). Second they got the hoses transposed on one of the attempts with the result that the car selected reverse when it should have got 3rd - boy am I glad I wasn't in the car for the test drive when they discovered that!

Anyway after 6 weeks of messing about I got the car back, and apart from the little bit of brain-damage it suffered, it was fine and survived another 35K miles of my driving   s:? :? s:?  before I part-ex'd it for my black roadster in April last year (and the reason I'm now driving a blue roadster? Now that's a whole other story - http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785 & http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1476)

Hope you get this sorted - keep us posted.

Anonymous

well they finally fixed the car   s:D :D s:D  much to and fro to technical ,one new UPGRADED ecu  and running fine if not better  .
lets hope for some good weather for the weekend

Tags: