Year 2000 Alloys Problem

Started by Anonymous, April 4, 2004, 21:34

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  My year 2000 Mr has been attacked by the dredded Alloy wheel corrosion problem.  I've scanned all the topics in the forum and they mainly focus around warranty solutions.  I'm the second owner of the 2 and it has no dealer service history, in fact its only done 13k since new, so I have little or no redress from a dealer on this issue.  So my only option is to get them repaired/treated has anyone been down this road or could suggest any other solutions?  cheers

markiii

do a search on KN wheels, theres loads to be found on this  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

On a different note - if you have no service history, are you aware it should have had at least 3 oil and filter changes in that time (possibly 4 if it was an early 2000).

If this hasn't happened then you are sitting on a time bomb  s:( :( s:(  (see jonboy's engine failure thread)

Anonymous

i hope you got it a VERY good price, as i wouldn't buy any car 2nd hand car with no service history.
Mine is a 2000, and one of the fronts has slight bubbling on it, its not that bad so i am happy to leave it for now. But if it gets any worse i will get them treated.

i bet for the cost of refurbing all 4 alloys you could buy a set of good condition used ones

darrenjuggins

You will be lucky to find any good quality one, unless Slancy is selling he's refurbished ones at any point.

I was horrified when I visited the dealer the other day and saw 3 MR2's and 2 Celica's all with the new wheels on, all blistered and scabby, what a poor show by toyota on such a key part of the car.....

Can't belelive anyone will by them looking that way, I certainly wouldn't.

Cheers
Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

ANY dealer should replace the alloys on the car if they are bubbling as part of the service. They wouldn't put new wheels on a second hand car for show until it is sold. Dealers will not and should not have a "sold as seen" policy, hence if you want the car, then either ask for the wheels to be changed or you ask for money off. If you don't get either, Toyota should lose a sale right there and then. Simple.

When I bought my second Mk1, the car was utterly spotless and had a complete Mr T FSH and was bought from MrT thenmselves. But it DID have the ubiquitous rear wheel arch rust problem (as most  10 year old ones would have done by then). I asked for them to repair it, they said no problem, all part of the service, no charge (although they were then very reluctant to drop some of the price, which is fair enough), but I would have to wait a week extra while the car was taken to the body shop. I said Ok and me and Mr T have been (fairly) good friends ever since.

I wouldn't let the wheel problem bother me for a second hand car. Even then, its under warranty and they SHOULD be changed.......

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Cheers guys now I'm really depressed!!  Although the previous owner never officially serviced it via a dealer he did do the basics himself, like oil, air etc.  Engine seems to be tiptop.  Just need to sort out these naf wheels.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rabbit":shock: Cheers guys now I'm really depressed!!  Although the previous owner never officially serviced it via a dealer he did do the basics himself, like oil, air etc.  Engine seems to be tiptop.  Just need to sort out these naf wheels.

I'm sure the car is absolutely fine after only 13k miles.. but doesn't seem a bit odd that the previous owner would deliberately void the excellent manufacturers warranty by not having it officially serviced? I presume there's no paperwork at all, even from his/her local garage?

I guess if they've only done 13k miles, then perhaps they didn't think it was worth it.. but even so...! I agree with Tomr2, I hope you got a real bargain!

Tim

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rabbit":shock: Cheers guys now I'm really depressed!!  Although the previous owner never officially serviced it via a dealer he did do the basics himself, like oil, air etc.  Engine seems to be tiptop.  Just need to sort out these naf wheels.

Don't get depressed, some people just are really strange.  Personally I make sure my cars are well serviced, but others don't.  Make sure you give the car a good service now, including all the items that should have been carried out in the last 4 services (check the handbooks carefully!) and it'll probably be fine.  Oh, and get rid of the pre-cats!

Andy

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"i bet for the cost of refurbing all 4 alloys you could buy a set of good condition used ones

I've got a similar problem. My 2000 car has very rusty wheels which need reocnditioning. KNwheels in Telford were the cheapest by a long way at £25 per wheel, but you have to give them just the wheels with no tyre for a week. Once you factor in taking the tyres on and off some of the other places are not so expensive. I've seen sets of alloys secondhand for around £250ish which is a touch more than the most expensive recon places.

dave.

DAZ400

I have a NEW set from MR T gathering dust in the garage make me an offer tyres still legal but worn.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"I have a NEW set from MR T gathering dust in the garage make me an offer tyres still legal but worn.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Buy Daz's, run them while yours are away, sell Daz'z again.  Bingo!

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"I have a NEW set from MR T gathering dust in the garage make me an offer tyres still legal but worn.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You've got PM!

Tags: