CEL after high revs up-hill.

Started by JudoKilli, May 24, 2011, 19:57

JudoKilli

Last night I was overtaking a slow moving bus on a steep hill. Engine was warm as it was at the end of an hour long journey. I must have been 200 or 300 from the red line before changing gear.

A few seconds after overtaking the bus and off the hill I noticed the engine warning/check engine light pop on. I've never had it before and it's never popped up according to previous owners. I checked engine oil, coolant, and all the usual stuff, and nothing worrying showed up. No wires were loose and the car runs fine. In fact, it seems to be run a bit smoother than before, I'm just scared to drive it just in case.

Before I take it to a garage for the code to be read is there anything I should do or check? Bit worried as it's the first time I've had a CEL on any car I've driven in the last 5 years.

mrzwei

Should be ok to drive it, the handbook will just say have it checked by a garage asp. I think there is more of an issue if it is flashing. Ought to be a member near you with a code reader otherwise it's probably 40 odd quid from a dealer.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: