1500 rpm idle speed

Started by Anonymous, May 25, 2011, 16:22

Anonymous

Hi,

My 2003 MR2 has a high idle speed of 1500 rpm.

This is typically associated with crud on the idle control valve on Fords etc - it is the same on our roadsters ?

Thanks

mr-ed_smt

clean your MAF first of all. and reset ECU
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Anonymous

Anonymous

Thanks, I searched the forum (and others) and found that thread and others that conflicted and mentioned a 750rpm idle speed.

Confused !

Anonymous

Yes starts off high and drops to around 750rpm when engine is warm.

roger

Agree with LOB. If its only that high when its cold and the "choke" is out, but drops back to around 750/500 when warm, don't worry, its normal.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

Just to add to this. If your revs aren't dropping noticeably after a warm-up period then it is as you hint likely to be a stuck idle air control valve. These are crazily over-engineered on the Roadster and can get gummed up.

If this is the case, let us know and we'll point you to it.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

russw69

my idle speed does not drop even when the car is warmed up, even when the rad fans com in it still idles at about 1500 to 1600 rpm, any help or advise please?

Anonymous

Quote from: "russw69"my idle speed does not drop even when the car is warmed up, even when the rad fans com in it still idles at about 1500 to 1600 rpm, any help or advise please?

All the clues to fix this are in this thread.

russw69

Air idle control vavle removed stripped, cleaned and oiled runs like a dream now.   s:D :D s:D

JudoKilli

Just to continue this thread a little bit, mine seems to be hitting on the normal speeds, but when at 600_750 it sometimes feels as though the engine might drop out, as if its about to stall, judders a little, then recovers.

Tags: