YOKOHAMA TYRES?

Started by nymets, May 25, 2011, 20:19

nymets

Hi. I am going to need new tyres shortly, and currently I hav three different makes on the car, so I am actually pleased that I can now change!

Am I right in saying that the MR2 Roadster came with Yokohama tyres from new, and if so, what is the "215/45R16 86W ADVAN (A043A) R (Option)" that is listed on the Yokohama website? Are these road legal tyres, and how will they affect the handling of the car? Were they offered as an option from new by Toyota?

What are the Yokohame ADVAN Neova's?

Any thoughts or opinions on other tyres that might be better are welcome. Thanks.

Anonymous

nimrod

My 2004 came with Bridgestone RE40,changed to yokohamas AO43 this year because I could not get hold of the Bridgestones,the tyres were changed this year and seem fine they don,nt tramline like Bridgestones used to not sure what they will be like over the winter but then again the Bridgestones were crap.

pmr01

I considered the advan neovas (AD08 I think) and the Toyo 888's as well. I really was all over the place with arriving at a decision. I then went back to the T1R's as they were quite a bit more reasonable (£230 I think from camskill) and then finally ended up at the R1R which I thought may be a good compromise. I dont have them yet so I cannot comment on them but I certainly read enough.

There were some good reviews from knowledgeable club members about these 'type' of tyres but I believe there are drawbacks and, like evrything in life, there are compromises to be made.

I will update you when I get the r1r's on...they were £350 delivered for 195/50 and 225/45's....

pmr01

ah well...spoke too soon about getting the R1Rs....I never realised quite how much an earthquake may affect me. Apparently the factory was in one of the worst hit regions and getting the Toyo R1R's is not too easy...AD08 Yokohamas ordered tonight.

stavros58

I have the Bridgestones REO 40 which came with the car as oem, last set did 20,000 miles and no problem with winter grip or tram lining I like them and they seem very good for grip, but then i don't do track days. My understanding is that the Yoko's are even worse in winter and wear quickly and cost abut the same. when you make a choice try event tyres they were the cheapest for me and they came to my house to fit them.
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

pmr01

its ok....got a phone call from camskills today and they cannot get yokoham ad08's either for the front. I give up.

Steve Green

That's the same probem I am coming up against. I was looking at getting the same brand and tread pattern for the front and rear on standard Mk3 facelift rims.
As the rims need a refurb, I am getting very tempted to look at new alloys that perhaps will get around the problem.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

pmr01

I know what you are saying...the sizes of the facelift wheels restrict your choice of supersticky tyres and increase your price. going to try demon tweeks tomorrow. If not, there is plenty tread left on the bridgestones for this summer. sad, but....

Anonymous

if you get a different size wheels just be careful of the tyre size not because of stagger but the fact i can only get falken in the sizes i need.

Tags: