Toyota "Sports Lowering Springs"

Started by Anonymous, July 4, 2003, 11:36

Anonymous

I've just booked my '2 in for it's 20,000 mile service for the 5th August.  When it's in it'll be getting the "Sports Lowering Springs" fitted (from the Toyota MR2 accessorries, same as the TTE lowering springs).

Many thanks to Liz for her opinions and pictures on this mod.  I'll feedback my opinions, observations etc soon after.

BTW my dealership is doing this fitting for £270 including parts, labour and VAT.  I think this might be a bit more than Liz paid, I can't quite remember, but it's a great dealership and I'm not about to go shopping around so I hope they live up to their normal leverls of good service.

More news to come...

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"BTW my dealership is doing this fitting for £270 including parts, labour and VAT.

does that include your service... if not then they saw you coming!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks Kris!

No it doesn't include my service.

I'm not bothered really, their price is their price.  I want to get it done and they're the only decent dealership within reasonable travelling distance (I've tried a couple of others and I'm not haoppy with them at all).

Hey, it's only money, you can't take it with you!

--H--

Anonymous

I cant remember exactly how much i was quoted, but i think it was under £200 (about £170 inc fitting i think, which i thought was super cheap!). I'll dig out the price list anyway - im probably wrong! LOL!

Anonymous

I felt like I was paying more than I had heard, but not enough more to put me off, if you follow!

I'd gladly pay a bit more for the peace of mind I have with this particular dealership anyway.

I'm feeling generous (to myself anyway) because I've nearly paid for the '2 completely now.  It'll be a happy day in a couple of months when I finally completely own her!

--H--

Anonymous

Thats fair enough - will have to think twice about going back to my local dealer!

Ohh, i have a few years to wait till i pay off my '2.... but in the mean time, i'll just have to enjoy driving her knowing im paying loads of money for the privilage... and is it worth it... HELL YEAH!!!!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"... and is it worth it... HELL YEAH!!!!   s:D :D s:D
It sure is!

s:D :D s:D  

--H--

filcee

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Ohh, i have a few years to wait till i pay off my '2.... but in the mean time, i'll just have to enjoy driving her knowing im paying loads of money for the privilage... and is it worth it... HELL YEAH!!!!   s:D :D s:D

OK - time to let the cat out of the bag .....

My '2 is just about 2 years old it's not yet paid for - but - I've just ordered a 2003 model and managed to save a few quid on the monthly payments to boot!

Do I feel happy - HELL YEAH   s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

(or should this have been posted under 'Next Mod' elsewhere on the forum   s:) :) s:)  )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Liz

Quote from: "Hardcore"Many thanks to Liz for her opinions and pictures on this mod.  I'll feedback my opinions, observations etc soon after.

I am sure that you will think it looks great, I only find it bumpy when I am coming home after night turn and I am tired - its like the car is jostling me around to keep me awake, I am sure that it has got autopilot!

Just checked my costs it was £255.24 with discount for being a member of MR2DC.  Money well spent though, just considering my next mod, thinking of the short shifter at the moment...ho hum what to spend money on!!   s:?: :?: s:?:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Just checked my costs it was £255.24 with discount for being a member of MR2DC.  Money well spent though **snip**
That makes me feel better, not that I was having any reservations, but if I'd found you had it done for like £100 cheaper or something I might have be bothered!

Cheers!

--H--

markiii

Core, Make sure they re-do your alignment as part of the ftting.

Liz, I have the &M if you want to try it out before you order let me know. I beleive Phil is about to order one so you might try getting a deal for 2.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Cheers Mark, it has been a while since I put a mod on the car, I quite fancy the idea of the short shifter! Will get in touch with Phil
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Sorry to dig up and old thread...

Quote from: "Liz"Just checked my costs it was £255.24 with discount for being a member of MR2DC.

I've just been quoted exactly the same by Marshall Rolfe, Southampton, breakdown as follows;

Parts: £124 (.something)
Labour: 2 hours @ £59/hour
MR2DC discount: -10%
VAT: 17.5%

Oh, and another hour labour for 4-wheel alignment, once I asked (ie optional)

markiii

make sure you getback your stock springs.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Good point.

I'm still deciding i) whether I want them or not (ok, perhaps I mean "can afford", not "want"  s:) :) s:)  ), and ii) if I do, whether to do it myself, given the recent discussion in another thread.

markiii

well you know my view.

but for the record, buy the eibachs there cheaper, change them yourself (you'll be more careful) Then buy Kerry dinner with what you've save and everybodies happy.

Comer

What about a group buy on the Eibachs and then we all meet up at Mark's where he fits them  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

Well were doing Steves this weekend, so  if you want to pop in and see how easy it is (cue major cock up now I've said that) feel free.

Jap GT300

With any luck (both fingers crossed) The Monocraft should be operational (at a huge additional cost) by Saturday.  I wouldn't mind having a look at how the springs are changed, as I need to change them myself.  

I also have the de-cat pipe to put on  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .  BTW I have a spare O2 simulator if anyone needs it!

Adam

Anonymous

Any chance I can get in on that?  I'd love to see that Mono...

Comer

Mark are you doing the springs at yours or Steve's on Sat / Sun?
Michael

markiii

mine, though I need to speak to Steve tonight to confirm for definate and which day.

Anonymous

Well I've just come back from having my 20,000 mile service and the lowering springs fitted.

My initial thoughts are these (bearing in mind I've only driven about 10 miles on them so far!):

There's no real noticable increase in stiffness and the ride on smooth, straight roads, i.e. the motorway, if pretty much the same as before so there's no huge bone shaking effect thankfully!

Under heavy cornering there is noticably less travel and the suspension does feel stiffer with less body roll.  I couldn't judge on the brief trip back wether cornering ability was any better or not but the feel is much better with less roll and bounce.

In visual trems the car now looks more like a proper sports car.  It seems to sit more than the prescribed 30mm lower, but doesn't look like some muppet machine with the wheels slammed up under the arches.  Very nice!

All in all a decent mod, worth the price Toyota charge?  Well it's too early to tell, but even from the first impressions it's definately worth doing if you can do it yourself.

More to follow...

--H--

Jap GT300

Mark, is it ok for me and mono' admirers to rain down on you at the weekend?

That is subject to it running okay!

Cheers Adam

Comer

No harsh ride then.  I always feel close to the ground in my car until I pass an Elise!

If the ride is ok and the cornering feels better then I'm up for these.  Although I wonder what the insurance think about these?  Any increase in premium H?

Anyone know the cost of a set of Eibachs shipped to the UK?
Michael

Tags: