Toyota "Sports Lowering Springs"

Started by Anonymous, July 4, 2003, 11:36

Comer

My springs have just arrived at home so I'll definitely be at Mark's with some tools tomorrow at 9am.  Am I right that there are 4 cars being done tomorrow (Steve, Phil, Adam? and me)?

Could be a long and hot day!
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

There's a 9 AM on Saturday's now?!

--H--

Comer

Shocking I know but I wake as soon as it gets light anyway.  One day I'll buy some decent curtains instead of parts for my car!!

Just realised that the Hammers are playing Preston   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  live on Sky at 12.30pm, damn!
Michael

SteveJ

Quote from: "Comer"Shocking I know but I wake as soon as it gets light anyway.  One day I'll buy some decent curtains instead of parts for my car!!

Just realised that the Hammers are playing Preston   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  live on Sky at 12.30pm, damn!

I keep trying to convince Mark to join the 21st century but he won't stop spending money on his car  s:) :) s:)

Springs it is then I guess   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Looks like my MrT has screwed up (now, there's a surprise   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  ); I'm awaiting a call back, but it would seem the order didn't get made.

Unless they can find a set kicking around somewhere, it looks like there'll only be three sets tomorrow   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"Unless they can find a set kicking around somewhere, it looks like there'll only be three sets tomorrow   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

After a grovelling apology, they're getting them in overnight, for me to collect at 9:30. So I'll be with you all at ~11ish.   s:P :P s:P    s:P :P s:P

Comer

Indeed springs it is Steve, see you at tomorrow at 9.  

Phil your power as Club Chairman is impressive to get Mr T to act as quick as that, nice one. See you tomorrow at 11.

PS Anyone got any pics with and without lowering springs.  I need something to whet the appetite with this afternoon!
Michael

SteveJ

Quote from: "Comer"Indeed springs it is Steve, see you at tomorrow at 9.  

Phil your power as Club Chairman is impressive to get Mr T to act as quick as that, nice one. See you tomorrow at 11.

PS Anyone got any pics with and without lowering springs.  I need something to whet the appetite with this afternoon!

Liz,

Can you oblige?

Anonymous

Liz has before and after photos on her web site... but i cant remember the address!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"Phil your power as Club Chairman is impressive to get Mr T to act as quick as that, nice one. See you tomorrow at 11.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I didn't mention the club, or my position, since I don't think it would've been appropriate to use that as leverage with a private problem.

Comer

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Comer"Phil your power as Club Chairman is impressive to get Mr T to act as quick as that, nice one. See you tomorrow at 11.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I didn't mention the club, or my position, since I don't think it would've been appropriate to use that as leverage with a private problem.

s:D :D s:D  Of course. That comment was made tongue firmly in cheek.  I don't think Mr T care who we are except a walking wallet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Jap GT300

I ordered my springs from Toyota along with £1800 worth of other bits  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The car is due to be started for the first time tonight (Fingers Crossed).  Toyota haven't yet delivered the motor for the rads fan, PAS fluid or the drivers rear Hub Carrier.

Although it will be drivable as I'm due to take it home tomorrow I don't know if I can risk taking it all the way to Marks.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Adam

markiii

Your call Adam,

we can always do yours another weekend if you feel like it?   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Let me know as soon as you can though.

Ben,

Can you PM with a mobile number? If your still coming over to see the monocraft I'll need to get you some directions?

Adam, Give me a call if you nee direction.s
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Comer

Got the Eibach springs on and I'm very happy with the look so far and the handling isn't half bad pre alignment   s:D :D s:D  

Many thanks to Steve, Mark, Phil and of course Chris (Mrs Markiii) for their valued help today.

Off now until tomorrow.......
Michael

Anonymous

Ditto; got my TTE springs on, and WOW, how low does it look now ?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Handling seems okay now, after a slight scare on the initial test drive   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ; I guess things have bedded in. I still intend to get a four-wheel alignment done soon though.

Thanks also to everyone for helping out and use of tools, etc, and especially Chris for keeping us supplied with drinks in what must have been the worse choice of day to be outside working on the car!!

And lastly, next time Mark says "do it yourself, don't bother paying MrT", then bear in mind that he's got one of the most comprehensive DIY toolkits I've seen for sometime. That airgun really did help...  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

doh I knew i'd forgotten somethin'

Anonymous

so do the TTE lower the car more than the ebaich?

And what are the prices respectivlely?

And what gives the best improvements on handaling?

Questions questions dear chaps   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Comer

Quote from: "Buster"so do the TTE lower the car more than the ebaich?

And what are the prices respectivlely?

And what gives the best improvements on handaling?

Questions questions dear chaps   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Eibach make them for TTE.  They are identical colour size etc.  AFAIK just the logo is different.  

They are both £145 with VAT.  Eibach require postage from Demon Tweeks wheareas you can collect the TTE's from Mr T.

Mine now feels like a Go Kart  s:D :D s:D
Michael

markiii

Quote from: "pmdye"Ditto; got my TTE springs on, and WOW, how low does it look now ?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Handling seems okay now, after a slight scare on the initial test drive   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ; I guess things have bedded in. I still intend to get a four-wheel alignment done soon though.

Thanks also to everyone for helping out and use of tools, etc, and especially Chris for keeping us supplied with drinks in what must have been the worse choice of day to be outside working on the car!!

And lastly, next time Mark says "do it yourself, don't bother paying MrT", then bear in mind that he's got one of the most comprehensive DIY toolkits I've seen for sometime. That airgun really did help...  s:) :) s:)

Just as well really, having discovered Phil had seriously greasey nuts we needed some decent tools  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Okay, so it sounds like all went well. If I can source the various tools, then I'm hoping to do the same this weekend.

1) Any hints, tips, advice etc.? I'm a little cautious/anxious that I'm doing this to my baby  :-) :-) :-)  What tools did you require above and beyond the ordinary?  s:-( :-( s:-(  I don't have an Airgun

2) How long did it take? How long per spring? What have you done with your "Cast Offs"?

3) Do you think that the cost saving (~£100) was worth the hassle of doing it yourself?

Cheers guys - glad it went okay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ender"What tools did you require above and beyond the ordinary?  s:-( :-( s:-(  I don't have an Airgun

Nothing particularly out of the ordinary; a good range of sockets and spanners (up to 19mm?), a good breaker bar (some of the nuts are damned solid, hence the airgun  s:) :) s:)  ), torque wrench, etc.

I think the instructions from SpyderMagazine that Mark already posted should cover the procedure. The main thing we kept forgetting was to slacken (not remove!) the bolt on the top of the damper before removing the entire strut from the car, and vice versa (esp on the front, where you can't tighten it once it's in place... doh!).

Quote2) How long did it take? How long per spring?

We managed 2-and-a-half cars (Steve's to be finished the following day) in the day, with four people, but also got quicker at the end. The work-rate was also hampered by the extreme temperatures  s:) :) s:)

QuoteWhat have you done with your "Cast Offs"?

Sat in a box at home, to be added to the rest of my stock parts store.

Quote3) Do you think that the cost saving (~£100) was worth the hassle of doing it yourself?

Given the help and expertise, yes. Had I done it solo, probably not TBH; there'd have been much swearing and scratching of head going on  s:( :( s:(

markiii

Tools;

Ideally a Torque wrench (you can just do things bloody tight) but as the suspension is involved better be safe than sorry.

10mm. 12mm, 14 mm, 19mm, 21mm, sockets, with ratchet

breaker bar (without an airgun this is vital)

Spring compressors, vital and probably an 11mm spanner to work them.

Axle stands.

String.

workmate or equivelant with gripping jaws.

Tips;

Be careful with the spring compressors.
Make sure you line up the bas of the new sprinsg with the lockinh lip on the strut before you remove the spring compressors.
Clean all the dust and grit out of teh strut top mounts while dissasembled and make sure the front bearings and cenrtre nut are well greased.
Loosen but do not remove the centre nylock nut on each strut before removing from the car.
Make sure you re-torque the centre nut on the front strut assenblies before putting back on the car, as they are on bearings and will just rotate on the car, the rears are solid mounted so you can retorque in situ.
When removing teh front struts use string to secire the hub carrier to the wheel arch hole (you'll no what I mean when you see it) so as not stretch the brake pipe while the strut is off.

Finally take it slow and check that you've but all the parts back as you go.

Tags: