Blow Ups !

Started by Anonymous, April 5, 2004, 17:29

Anonymous

With all the posts on here recently about dead engine's was wondering how many of us have driven say over say 60,000 with no real problems. Also could be an idea to say how hard you drive the 2 and the truth about how may services you have. Also which engine version

darrenjuggins

MR2 Silver - Register November 2000

Full Service - Current Milage 55,000

Only engine problem, faulty exhaust rear pipe, changed under warranty (Design Fault)

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

That makes me feel slighly better, but only 1 post since yesterday, thats bad if you are the only "1". lol

markiii

well benvic went through 2 engines IIRC, but is no longer a member so you won't be hearing from him.

My manifold just got replaced due to cracks appearing in teh pre-cats. hopefully caught in time as no material had actually come away at that point.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris

I'd say that not many people will have done over 60000 in the 4 years that the car has been available - unless of course you're someone like SteveJ who seems to do about 10000 every few months!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I have so far done 10000 miles in both of my roadsters with no engine problems what so ever.
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

SteveJ

Mileage in my cars (roughly)

Silver 'Y' - bought with 9500 miles June 2001, sold with 58,000 miles April 2003

Black '03' - bought with 0 miles April 2003, swapped by Toyota with 14,500 miles November 2003 - please note for ~5months of that I didn't have the car - it was languishing at various Toyota dealers or the tech centre  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Blue '53' - delivered November 2003 (see above) with 0 miles, to date 15,200 miles

Current mileage is approx 3,000 per month (and expected to rise  s:? :? s:?  )

So far (touch wood) I haven't had any engine problems and, as most of the regulars on here will attest to, I don't drive the car slowly  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

22 K miles on a 2000 reg and no problems apart from a blocked 4th injector but replaced under warrenty

Anonymous

24K on a W reg 2000 and no problems at all. My worry is that it is getting to that milage where all the horror stories start to happen  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Needless to say, the belt tensioner is rattling, but that is it. And I have become SERIOUSLY vigilant about checking oil and water now too.

Anonymous

9k   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   on a 2000 X Reg.

No engine problems (touch wood) so far... and serviced regularly as per the guidelines.

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

QuoteNeedless to say, the belt tensioner is rattling, but that is it. And I have become SERIOUSLY vigilant about checking oil and water now too.

What!!!
You need to check your water!?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Where is that, i couldn't find it when i first got my car last year and presumed it was self contained!

Anonymous

Sky, I only check it as a matter of precaution. Nothing to worry about. Its part of a habit I formed when I got water leaks on my old Minis and I have never really got out of the habit, especially when you have to pay out for new engines.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The water bottle is on the left hand side of the engine bay, towards the back. Should be filled with a pinkish fluid (MrT's "liquid gold" called Forlife). Mine has NEVER changed from full, but I like to look all the same.

Anonymous

Mines a black 2000 X with just over 20K on the clock and I've had no engine problems at all.

I try not to worry about it. I've had two Rover K Series cars and done 45K and 15K in them without any problems. That's an engine with a real repution for going pop due to HGF.

I'd never let something that affects a small percentage of cars put me off having the one I want.

Fingers crossed,
Paul.

Anonymous

hey I have a 52 plate and it has done 16k and no problems ,... touch wood!

Slacey

'02 plate, 26k, no engine problems at all, pre-cats fine.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

99 import, 45k when i bought 8 weeks ago now 52k
dont baby the 2 at all in fact im quite hard on the poor thing - just ordered the o2 sensor socket to check precats etc, changed oil but happy motoring so far...touch wood

Anonymous

Oct 2000 X-reg - 51000 miles, with absolutely no engine reliability problems at all.. and although most of those miles are motorway cruising at approx a constant 3800rpm, I don't baby it the rest of the time!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tim

Anonymous

if you look at spyder chat, in the maintance section, it seems to me that most engine fairlures have happened on a 2000 model.

Mine: 2000, 19K miles. No problems so far..., although the engine does sound a little rough to me - could just be the pre-tensioner belt getting a bit loose - i hope!

MRMike

Well might as well add mine as an 'outlier'
Driven with respect, occasional blast
6000 miles
Pre cat failure, gulping oil, major loss of performance
Caught early, seems fine now!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

Peter also got through 3 engines if memory serves?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Sam

Well mine won't make too good of a read, here goes:

Currently 42,000 miles Y Reg (2001) (serviced as per manual from new)

Changed under warranty:

Most of the gearbox (was making a grinding noise)
V-Belt Tensioner
Precats + Main Cat

Pending:

Piston knocking about in cylinder #1 (prob due from incompetent dealer changing cats and not checking for engine damage at time).
Due for a engine strip and examination on 14th April.

I used to do mainly motorway miles, but when I was off the motorway I'd drive it hard. Took out extended warranty this March (Thank God - considering the recent engine probs).

Sam
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"Well might as well add mine as an 'outlier'
Driven with respect, occasional blast
6000 miles
Pre cat failure, gulping oil, major loss of performance
Caught early, seems fine now!

you say you have a 2003, 6000 miles and the precats failed?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Blimey!

DAZ400

The answer is go turbo no more less reliable and sooooo much FUN.....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

MRMike

Indeed! I posted about it a while ago..it wasn't breaking up as has been noted previously, it had cracked down the centre apprently. Though it still consumed oil and had a loss of back pressure and performance, which I'm still not sure about. I'm keeping a watchfull eye on it for the time being
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Chris

Quote from: "SteveJ"Black '03' - bought with 0 miles April 2003, swapped by Toyota with 14,500 miles November 2003 - please note for ~5months of that I didn't have the car - it was languishing at various Toyota dealers or the tech centre  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

See what I mean!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   14k in about 4 months - about 3x the national average innit?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

14k on a 52 plate.
Runs sweet as a nut (where did that saying come from?)
Only noise at present is what sounds like clutch thrust bearing whine.

Tags: