Blow Ups !

Started by Anonymous, April 5, 2004, 17:29

filcee

My first one was an 01 'Y' plate SMT, which did 32k miles in 26 months (probably mostly motorway  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: ), serviced to schedule.  Paint blemish on driver's door, misting headlamps & Sony radio/cassette/CD (faulty volume control) sorted under warranty, otherwise no problems.  It was starting to show signs of the infamous clonking noise from the front when I chopped it in, but the front tyres were well worn on the inside edge, so might have contributed to that problem.

Currenty running an '03 SMT (03-plated), now 9 months with a 10k service booked on the 19th of this month.  Gearbox went AWOL after 3 days (less than 200 miles), but fixed by the nearest dealer when the problem arose, and on the same morning.  No trouble since then ... touch wood.  Most annoying problem is the rattly dash.  The '01 was rock solid in build quality, quieter than our sensible hatchback, whereas this one seems to have been built on the MGF line for some reason  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

As to my driving style - everyone on here will say I drive like a girl, but I don't stint with either pedal when the opportunity arises, it's just I'm not a dab hand at all the sideways stuff  :-) :-) :-)   Plus, it's my daily drive, so my thinking is a little respect  for the machinery should help with reliability and longevity.  Having said that, I only check fluids and pressures every couple of weeks or so - so it's not like I'm mr. paranoid pit crew here!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Y reg - 19k no problems @ all ( watch this space )

Anonymous

I've got a 2000 with 59k (there must be someone with a higher mileage!?)

I had the belt tensioner done at 35k(ish) but apart from that it's been fine engine wise. (Touch wood)

dave.

Tags: