3 front wheels on my wagon, and i'm still rolling along...

Started by calaerial, May 30, 2011, 17:04

calaerial

Quick question -

*note* the previous owner didnt keep the tyre stagger.

So i'm swapping my wrong sized but tready rear 185s to the front and putting my worn 185s to the back to be replaced with 205s when i find that one of the rears wont go on the front. Turns out its because theres a screw in it that doesnt fit in the front.

Ive screwed it out of the alloy and it now fits fine but have i got 3 front wheels and 1 back? And if so will it make any difference? Are the rims different front to back?

If so i'll have to get a new set of backs from the scrap yard >_< could have done without that
Work in progress - 2001 MR2 Roadster - Silver

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

Treboeth

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3313 l

First post gives the correct sizes for tyres rims

Rear wheels: 6.5"x15" (OEM Toyota Offset +45mm)
Rear Tyres: Stock Bridgestone Potenza RE040 205/50/15
Front Wheels: 6" x 15" (OEM Toyota Offset +45mm)
Front Tyres: Stock Bridgestone Potenza RE040 185/55/15   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

time to measure them up and get them right   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I have a set of 16" facelift rears in the for sale section if you are stuck and fancy upgrading at the same time.    l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32731 l

SimonC_Here

And both rears should have had that "screw" or stud in it you'll find that tyre places "lose" them when they balance the wheels.

They are there to stop you putting the wider rear wheels (note not just tires) on the front.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Simon

calaerial

Ahh i thought so, thankfully it would seem that the other rear has a hole for a stud but not an actual stud in place, probably as you say lost by a garage.

So at least i have the right rims...

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

markiii

Just on the wrong end of the car
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

calaerial

Yeah pretty much >_<

Gonna swap them back and just change the worn fronts.

Downsides - Well i have to live with an incorrect tyre size on the back for a while longer, but at least thats the same compromised handling characteristics ive gotten used to over the last 6 months, wont be any nasty suprises, it still grips well.

Upsides - I dont have to pull out for 4 brand new tyres (or 2 tyres plus 4x fitting and balancing to swap the rear tyres onto front rims) on the same day my tax is due.

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

Tags: