will this engine fit

Started by mxxromeoxx4203, June 2, 2011, 07:40

mxxromeoxx4203

will this engine out of a toyota avensis fit the engine code is e1z-t82 1.8 vvti???

uktotty

Same engine you already have I think!
Avensis uses the 1ZZ but just watch out for where the other bits bolt on

markiii

I beleive they are rated slightly differently on power

key issue to bear in mind is teh avensis doesn;t have teh block fitting for the oil/water cooler. You can run without it if you choose, but its a decision you need to make
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

AmeR

Isn't the Avensis 1.8 around 127bhp instead of the 138 usually found in the 2 and celica?

I say go 2ZZ and have the 2 powered more like it should have been from the factory!!

K T M Rider

Was under the impression that the engines were fundamentally the same internally and that the power difference would be mainly down to the ECU?

Any parts for our engine are always just listed as 1ZZ so I am not aware of any mechanical reason (eg smaller valves or lower compression pistons) for a lower power output.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

aaronjb

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"Was under the impression that the engines were fundamentally the same internally and that the power difference would be mainly down to the ECU?

Any parts for our engine are always just listed as 1ZZ so I am not aware of any mechanical reason (eg smaller valves or lower compression pistons) for a lower power output.

Not all 1ZZs are the same, at least in the US market:  m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... post414256 m  (pictures there as proof)

A good thread on head differences:  m http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/show ... hp?t=78534 m

Cliff Notes: Some variants have significantly (1mm & 1.5mm) smaller intake & exhaust valves.

However, which cars got the 1ZZ-FED in the European market vs the 1ZZ-FE is (I believe) unknown, the information I've seen (above) is written and researched from the US market.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

K T M Rider

Ah, interesting.

thanks for the links Aaron.

Certainly adds weight to the notion that you don't know what your getting with a recon engine - smaller valves was one possibility I hadn't considered.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Dyn-Evo

Yes interesting indeed!

Seems to imply that there are 1ZZ's out there that have no VVT-i and single-point FI.....?

...and the MR2 / Jap "D" version has lighter rods than the Avensis version..?
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Cap

The 'Style' of the Fuel Injection ( SFI or MPI ) is a function of the Engine Computer..  and that will be In the ECU of the MR2..  so that function will be the Same no Mater what engine goes in.. as you will move all of your 'Spyder Bits' over to the New Engine in the Exchange..

Early 1ZZ's ( Late 90's in the US Market ) had an 'Advance or Retard' for the Valve Timing.. Called VVT..  Not  VVTi..  these will not work Properly with the MR2, as the Control Valving is Different, and the ECU will toss a Cell Code to the Fact of No VVTi Control..

and some 1ZZ Engines do not have the 'Mounting Holes' for the Axle Carrier of the Right Side Axle..  But they can be Drilled..

Cap

smarty72

I know I'm a bit dum, but I keep reading 2zz. What engine is this and what does it normally go in?
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "smarty2072"I know I'm a bit dum, but I keep reading 2zz. What engine is this and what does it normally go in?

Some people keep splurging it over everything when an engine goes pop, it is NOT a direct replacement and will need other work to fit, such as;
New ECU
Wiring modifications
Fabricated engine mount
Different exhaust manifold
New intake manifold and Throttle body (unless it comes with the engine).
Best to replace the gearbox with one that is matched to the 2zz engine.

If you have the money and the time it's a great conversion, if you just want to get the car on the road with minimum fuss then look for a replacement 1zz.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "smarty2072"I know I'm a bit dum, but I keep reading 2zz. What engine is this and what does it normally go in?

Some people keep splurging it over everything when an engine goes pop, it is NOT a direct replacement and will need other work to fit, such as;
New ECU
Wiring modifications
Fabricated engine mount
Different exhaust manifold
New intake manifold and Throttle body (unless it comes with the engine).
Best to replace the gearbox with one that is matched to the 2zz engine.

If you have the money and the time it's a great conversion, if you just want to get the car on the road with minimum fuss then look for a replacement 1zz.

+1 i was going to do it for when my old engine was going to die but found a modded 1zz. a 2zz is going to cost as much as mine + another couple of grand. if you dont care about more power stick with stock. if you want more it will cost less to do it now but be prepared of cost. mine coming up to 3k now and i got a very good deal.

frogger

Quote from: "smarty2072"2zz: What engine is this and what does it normally go in?

It's a higher output 1.8l engine engineered by Yahama for Toyota.  m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ-GE m

Realistically, the only UK donor car you'll find such an engine in is the VVTLi (not the VVTi) Toyota Celica, the 190hp one.  m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Cel ... .932006.29 m

Anonymous

Or the corolla T-Sport.

markiii

Or the Elise 111r
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mxxromeoxx4203

hi there will the engine out of a 2000 avensis automatic fit a 2000 mrs manual ???

mrzwei

My gut feeling would be that the gearbox is adapted to fit the engine and not vice versa so a 1zz is a 1zz, subject to all of the other cavea already posted in this thread. If nobody on here has actually done the swap then you will need to get a really good look at the donor engine / box. I got caught out once when the input shaft from the auto box was a larger diameter than the bush on the engine from a manual and spent ages filing down the bush until I got a fit. (That's a very historic example so will probably not be a problem in this case).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: