Started by mrsmr2, April 4, 2004, 19:35

mrsmr2

I've just read JuanSolo's one year report on his web site.  An interesting issue he mentioned is that the front windscreen and wipers can freeze repeatedly in winter due to the lack of engine heat at the front.

As I'm planning to use mine all year round, how much of a problem is this?

Thanks

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I've just read JuanSolo's one year report on his web site.  An interesting issue he mentioned is that the front windscreen and wipers can freeze repeatedly in winter due to the lack of engine heat at the front.

As I'm planning to use mine all year round, how much of a problem is this?

Can be a pain but i put hot water over my bonnet in the winter and it helps a bit. Its what you have to put up with with a mid engine car without heater washers. Not worth not buying the car over though!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mrsmr2

Wow, that wins the award for the fastest response.

At the moment, I'm travelling 400 miles a week (4 * 100 mile journeys), so a freezing windscreen would be a problem (admittedly for only a small part of the year).  Also, I won't have the option of using another car as my wife needs it for transporting the kids.

I'd be interested to hear of any other winter hindrances.  (Tail happiness I can live with - in fact I'm looking forward to it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ).

Thanks

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Nope, just the washers freezing was my only problem and i could live with that. as for the tail happy... trust me, if it snows like it did a few months back you wont be looking forward to it... then again, unless you have a 4x4 nothing is going to help really!

Anonymous

Interesting... while I had the washer freezing I never had the wipers doing the same, and never had any problems with them really (make sure you use extra concentrated washer fluid in the winter, it'll help).

To be honest my old front engine front wheel drive car had similar problems, even with the engine heat.

SteveJ

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Nope, just the washers freezing was my only problem and i could live with that. as for the tail happy... trust me, if it snows like it did a few months back you wont be looking forward to it... then again, unless you have a 4x4 nothing is going to help really!

Get an '03 SMT - the TC & VSC actually made driving kind of fun in the snow (assuming you avoid all of the other muppets) - the back end steps out to about 15degrees and just stays there with the ECU's controlling the brakes and the throttle for you - just keep the peddle pushed down and go with it  s8) 8) s8)

Just don't get too carried away, as you still have the same problem stopping  s:( :( s:(

aaronjb

I can honestly say that my washer jets didn't freeze once this winter.. Must just have plenty of washer fluid in there I suppose  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Though I'm told cheap Vodka or Gin work exceptionally well as antifreeze  s:? :? s:?  

As for the wipers freezing to the windscreen.. there's this stuff called de-icer......  s;) ;) s;)  (and then just 'peel' them up from one end - once you've done that, they don't stick back to the windscreen. At least, mine didn't - and it's parked outside all night, not garaged)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "aaronjb"Though I'm told cheap Vodka or Gin work exceptionally well as antifreeze  s:? :? s:?  

They also make bloody good paint stripper too - don't even be tempted  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

I also use the '2 all year round & didn't have a problem with wipers etc - mine stays outside in an enclosed car port (back yard to the rest of us (damn that rust happy TR7 for demanding the garage  s:x :x s:x  )) I start mine up a few minutes before I go out & put the heaters on full, de-ices the wipers pretty quickly & also warms the car up inside cos those leather seats can get pretty cold if you jump straight in.

As long as you use a good quantity of screen wash then you won't have any winter problems with washers freezing.

What you need to remember is that come March/April you get to have lots of "top down action" which makes the winter seem like ages ago & is worth any inconveniences that you may have had  s:D :D s:D

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Roadblade"What you need to remember is that come March/April you get to have lots of "top down action" which makes the winter seem like ages ago & is worth any inconveniences that you may have had  s:D :D s:D

Damn right!

DP

zud

Mine sits on my drive overnight, and I've used it for the daily commute for about 15 months now.  I don't have (or want) a hardtop, and it's rare for a week to go by without putting the top down!  It's great way to relax after a cr@p day at work.

As far as frost/wipers go... [flame-proof suit mode]... I use water from the kettle on the windows.  Not absolutely boiling, but i put a full kettle on when i return from walking my dog and let it boil while I get changed for work.  Then i use the hot water of all windows and wing-mirrors.  The frost melts (obviously!), but the water evaporates to leave the windows dry and crystal clear.  And it seems to leave enough heat in the window to prevent a re-freeze.  I'm sure someone will tell me why i shouldn't be doing this, but i haven't noticed any problems over the last 9 or 10 winters since a mate recommended it and I poured the first keetle full and held my breath waiting for the window to crack!! [flame-proof suit mode]
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Bongo

Isn't it incase the water drips on the brakes and freezes?

Slacey

Quote from: "Bongo"Isn't it incase the water drips on the brakes and freezes?
Unlikely I would have thought. The main culprit IS the screen cracking with the rapid temperature change, but I also have done this in the past with no problems.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

windscreens nowadays are very well made and unlikely to crack under those circumstances. 15-20 years ago though, it would have been very different!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"windscreens nowadays are very well made and unlikely to crack under those circumstances. 15-20 years ago though, it would have been very different!

Very true. Although if you have even the tiniest crack/large chip in your screen, it's probably going to go pop sometime - mine cracked all the way across from just using the heater when it was slightly frosted up on the outside! It started from a small crack however...

Tim

Anonymous

Also, the water doesn't actually have to be that hot either. The way I do it is to pour "tap hot" water over the screen then quickly turn the wipers on. Not only does it get heat into everything, but also clears the screen of any water to prevent the re-freeze. Once you are on the move, you can then get the A/C on (for those of us who have it) and heat the screen pretty nicely. Worked for me on pretty much every car I have owned and not a single cracked screen.

GSB

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"
Quote from: "Tomr2"windscreens nowadays are very well made and unlikely to crack under those circumstances. 15-20 years ago though, it would have been very different!

Very true. Although if you have even the tiniest crack/large chip in your screen, it's probably going to go pop sometime - mine cracked all the way across from just using the heater when it was slightly frosted up on the outside! It started from a small crack however...

All true, windscreens now are far superior in terms of optics, strength and environmental factors. However becasue of this, they have become an integral part of the vehicle structure and are now stressed parts. They are securely bonded to the cars shell rather than supported in a rubber moulding like they were years ago. Thus any stress raising defects like chips or cracks will spread, especially if they are near the edge of the screen where the stresses are greater.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

I had no problems through winter; just used de-icer and very concentrated screen wash to prevent washer freeze up. Smells good too  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: John WoodwardOnce you are on the move, you can then get the A/C on (for those of us who have it) and heat the screen pretty nicely.quote]

how does air con help clear the screen quicker? it doesnt make the heater any hotter does it?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tomr2"
Quote from: "John Woodward"Once you are on the move, you can then get the A/C on (for those of us who have it) and heat the screen pretty nicely.quote]

how does air con help clear the screen quicker? it doesnt make the heater any hotter does it?
It takes the moisture content away from the air your pushing out of the ducts preventing steaming. Aye aye  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Cheers Heath! And also, if you read the manual, it does actually say to use the A/C to defrost the screen (you can do it without though) and I have to say, it does work...........  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

I also find that it helps when leaving the motor parked up overnight outside in Winter with the selection on window deminster. This gives a trickle of air through the duct through the duration and keeps the bottom end interior clearer.

Tags: