MOT - Where to do it ?

Started by crankshaft, April 6, 2004, 13:56

crankshaft

Well, I will be back in the UK this week after being seperated from my 2 for 3 months (sad I know). It's just over 3 years old and the MOT has just become due.

I am only in the UK for 2 weeks and MRT who sold me it is fully booked, what should I do ???

Should I take it to 'any old garage' and let them do it and if it's anything major send it to MRT to be fixed - hopefully quickly ??

My time is very short and I know it's easter weekend - any suggestions welcome !!

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Took our previous car to Mr Clutch.  And other bits done by A1 Autocentres.

I reckon you are fine with any of the main name garages like these, dont think you really need a Mr T MOT.

Maybe wrong - and prepared to be flamed   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

GSB

Any MOT station will do. I would hope that a reasonably looked after 3 year old MR2 would at least be able to pass an MOT!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

At the end of the day, an MOT is an MOT - all approved centres have to be licenced by the DofT, so as long as it isn't some dodgy backstreet place, anywhere should be OK - it's also a standard test, so the examiner doesn't need an intimate knowledge of the car.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

zud

FWIW, my options would be:
1.  Take it to the garage that normally does the servicing.
2.  Take it to a place that does MOTs only
3.  Word of mouth to find someone other people have found "fair"

Avoid special offers!  My wife got a "free MOT" with her insurance a few years ago... they found approx £600 worth of work to get it through the MOT... I took it away, replaced one wiper blade, took it to an "MOT only" place... and it went straight through!! I was so shocked I even mentoned some of the things the other place failed it on.  One was that the front brakes were "out of balance".  The "MOT only" man said they weren't perfectly balanced, but were well within the acceptable tolerance.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

crankshaft

Thanx guys, I know I will be breaking the law for a few days, but my car's only done 12K from new, I have owned it for 3 months and only driven it for 2 weeks and still have to fit my new vents, dual exhausts, MR2ROC stickers, Focal Speakers and Alpine head unit so I'm gonna be busy !

Is there any 'silly' thing that they can fail me for just to get me to come back for a re-test ??

As far as I am know, it's all A1, but of course I have not seen it since January 9th !!!

Hope the weather's kind, have never had the hood down and can't wait  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Crankshaft, I wouldn't worry. Take it to any approved MOT centre and there should be no trouble. Also, my car had about the same amount of milage on it when I took it for its first MOT and it flew it. Couldn't find anything wrong with it and no tolerances were out or needed to be adjusted. Your car should pass with flying colours

Tags: