Rear Brake callipers - help!

Started by Willbott, June 7, 2011, 12:02

Willbott

Hi there MR2roc people!

Having had new discs and pads fitted all round it has now become apparent that I also need new rear brake callipers. Drat!  s:( :( s:(  

Having found some reconditioned ones at Brakes International at a reasonable price (£87 each) - they've just got in touch to say they can't actually get hold of them from their supplier. Double drat!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I know Camskill do them for around £140 a piece, but does anyone know where I might get them for more like B.I. price of £87???? I wouldn't normally care too much, but having just spent several hundred pounds on brake parts I love to get these for as cheap as possible!

My car is a mid 2002 (02 plate) five speed car.

Big thank you for any ideas/help.

Will

Steve Green

The cheap option is to refurb the calipers yourself. I did a write up that's in the How To's taking you through the steps.
If its beyond your skills take a copy to your friendly mechanic and get him to do them.
Otherwise good luck tracking a set down.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Willbott

Thanks Steve!

I'll take a look.

Will

frogger

Also, if you can afford to wait a short while (I.e have another car) big red will take your callipers and do a top notch rebuild for you.

I've always been an advocate for home refurbing and fully endorse a good diy job if your willing and able... However I'm not to sure about giving it to a garage that needs instructions!

If the mechanic needs you to provide instructions, then they are no more qualified than anyone else.... and they are less likely to have the motivation to put the care and consideration into getting the job well.

This is why I firmly believe that its good to get to know your own brakes ... No one will care more about the quality of your brakes than you do yourself!

Also - there's a reason why garages usually do not refurb - it can potentially end up costing more in labour rates than a camskill replacement. So they just give partco a ring.

uktotty

But if he wants them for £87 each then Big red at £400 are gonna be a bit steep?

Steve Green

Much of what I wrote is in the Toyota MR2 workshop manual, the parts are supplied in the rear caliper seal kit and Toyota supply the special tool for the job for less than £5.00.
There are few reasons that a Toyota dealer can give for not carrying out the proceedure apart from lack of experience in doing the job and the fact that customers are easily convinced to buy recon or expensive new calipers.
I would guess that there are many vehicles that fall into the same catagory as the basic caliper design is quite common, even some Haynes manuals include similar instructions.

A mechanic that needs instruction is not that unusual, it would be hard to find a Toyota trained mechanic who is fully conversant with all things MR2, the majority of their regular work will be doing after sales services on all the other Toyota models. So I would hope that he would pick up a manual, if its only to remind himself of basic torque settings etc etc when faced with an unusual job.

Brakes are important! If you are not confident in your skills and ability then don't tackle the job.

I have used Biggred in the past and agree that their work is good but part of what you are paying for is the added value of a shiney new finish, something that looks nice for a year or two but does not contribute to the function of the caliper itself.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Willbott

Cheers Steve Frogger and Russ,

Great advice - I'll let you know how I get on. As you say, brakes are pretty important! So I'll make sure this is done right.

Will

frogger

Quote from: "uktotty"But if he wants them for £87 each then Big red at £400 are gonna be a bit steep?

whoa! had no idea they charged so much, I retract my recommendation!

Tags: