What year base car for a 2zz swap?

Started by bluesmoke, June 7, 2011, 16:16

bluesmoke

Hi folks. I am thinking about letting my MK2 Turbo go at the end of the year/early next year and might go to a MK3, on the condition I can put a 2zz 190 engine in it, or turbo it. The 2zz seems the most likely option though as Turbo kits seem to be way more expensive from what I've seen.

Anyhow, if undertaking such a swap, does it matter whether or not you get a facelift car? If doing a Turbo conversion or keeping it standard, I'd want a facelift model, but if changing the engine and gearbox etc. does it make any difference?

markiii

turbo will be cheaper than a 2zz
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

bluesmoke

Quote from: "markiii"turbo will be cheaper than a 2zz

Even if you did the swap yourself? All the Turbo kits seem to be like £5k that I've seen (albeit I haven't looked in any real detail).

uktotty

2nd hand turbo kits are £2500
New engine, gearbox and ecu are £2500
190bhp for 2zz
220 + for decent turbo

markiii

to do a 2zz properly you need teh engine, wiring mods, new engine mount

celica gearbox

new manifold

new dipstick

and you won;t get any of it back come resale
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

bluesmoke

Fair enough. So I'd be better with a facelift and a turbo kit then?

Will have to wait and see what happens  s:) :) s:)

markiii

2 different types of delivery by a mile,

do you want slugs of torque or revs teh nuts off it power delivery?

bluesmoke

Love the way my Rev 3 Tubby drives and delivers its power in all honesty.

Ilogik

if you like turbos go turbo, I had both a tubby mk3 and currently have a 2zz, I love the 2zz, far more fun to drive than the turbo, less hassle than a turbo, especially if you like to monitor knock and heat   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Check your insurance on turboing the car, going 2zz my insurance stayed the same, but when i had the turbo fitted it went up. Depends how you like to drive, the great thing about the 2zz its roughly the same as the 1zz to drive about normally in, but it has the power there when you want it.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

mattbrown82

You might be able to reduce the cost of going 2zz by getting a pre facelift with a knackered engine.  Your no doubt aware of the issues with the early engines, so there are going to be lots going cheap with dead/dying engines.  

However, if you are going turbo you will want to do it on a healthy engine.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

PeteT

Quote from: "bluesmoke"Hi folks. I am thinking about letting my MK2 ....... and might go to a MK3

Thats not what you said a couple of months ago  s:? :? s:?   Are you being converted   s:) :) s:)  

Don't just just straight onto the turbo/2ZZ bandwagon. Try the standard car, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Pete

FGrob

Quote from: "PeteT"
Quote from: "bluesmoke"Hi folks. I am thinking about letting my MK2 ....... and might go to a MK3

Thats not what you said a couple of months ago  s:? :? s:?   Are you being converted   s:) :) s:)  

Don't just just straight onto the turbo/2ZZ bandwagon. Try the standard car, you will be pleasantly surprised.
There's a few at the Jap show in a couple of weeks time, always a chance to have a run in one.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

sh4branze

calaerial

Oh my...
Work in progress - 2001 MR2 Roadster - Silver

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

bluesmoke

Quote from: "PeteT"

Er..... maybe  s:) :) s:)  I've been quietly impressed ever since that trip to the coast, trying to follow those little MK3's round those twisty roads, and as you know, I've had some issues lately that are causing me to lose my love for this car  s:( :( s:(

I have no doubt about the handling being nice on a standard car, but I'm 100% sure I need more power  s:D :D s:D

mrzwei

Quote from: "bluesmoke"but I'm 100% sure I need more power  s:D :D s:D

Nah... you don't need more power, you WANT more power   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

aaronjb

Did someone say secondhand turbo kit?

You never know, there might be a TopSecret kit up for sale soon... (with optional huge injectors, PFC, PWR barrel)

Just sayin'.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

stargazer30

Of course the other option is a trip upto Durham, hand over £4.5K and wait 4 months for mr woodsport.  Them drive out in a V6 roadster   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    Personally I'd go turbo, but that's me.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

SimonC_Here

LOL if we are pimping turbo kits, mine is ready to go!  s:) :) s:)

bluesmoke

Ha, calm down guys, I'm a LONG way off buying anything! There's been too much work put into my current car to justify letting it go yet, I am just planning ahead so that when I do change, I do it with my eyes completely open.

All the advice is much appreciated. I'd really like a V6 roadster but it's just too much money for me. And I like turbo cars, being on my third successive MR2 Turbo now. I just want to come intot he modern age  s:D :D s:D

bluesmoke

Looking around, it looks like I would need around a £6k budget for a facelift car and one of those US turbo kits posted earlier.

Do we think facelift cars may start coming in under £4k more regularly at the end of the year?

Otherwise it may be better to buy a £2k pre facelift and go the engine swap route. Hmmmmm........... Much prefer the thought of a Turbo'd 220bhp to an N/A 190 though.

Wabbitkilla

After recent experience i would recommend a pre-facelift, add bracing, improve brakes, add a turbo kit with pfc. push to a reconcile 1zz if necesary with a 6speed box. you will end up with a terrific car.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

bluesmoke

Thanks Nic. Very interested in why you say a pre facelift? And are you actually saying to drop in a recon 1ZZ and turbo that?

My phone also tried to autocorrect recon to reconcile  s:D :D s:D  

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Anonymous

postface seem to hold value a bit better than preface probably down to engine fails. but at end of the day both are subject to fail. for me spend less getting the car then spend the saving doing the engine up. change displacement cams etc. i just recently hit 187bhp on a 1zz normally aspirated.

Wabbitkilla

I suggested a recon 1zz in the event the original is toast.
Facelift or pre-facelift is entirely a question of which looks you like best.
bracing improves both cars, and really replacing the bracing on the facelift car with alu items makes a marked improvement. i know others may disagree, but It's my opinion and it depends on what you can afford. having had drives in a few turbo mk3s, the torque available is impressive and very usable. i would suggest either a GT25R or GT28R is well suited to the 1zz with the right appendages and mapping.

I wouldn't say na or turbo is better, they're just different and demand different driving methods, both are superbly enjoyable in the chassis the mk3 gives you especially with additional bracing.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: