Cold air pipe

Started by Anonymous, April 6, 2004, 16:49

Anonymous

Got the BLITZ induction kit, sound is fantastic but power gain is not noticeable. Untill I get back off holiday in three weeks, and can get the pipe you guys recommend, ive made my own joby using the old pipe that came off. Was wondering if the pipe you guys use makes it noticable or am i just best sticking to the one I have made. Or does the cold air pipe realy help the BHP.

Realy not happy with power @ the mo, just seem to be getting too used to the car, probably as it used to be my 2nd car. Getting in it after driving a diesel was like WOW, but now its the only one I drive its more.,, UMMMM.

But is it worth pushing the extra power out when we are getting all these bad engine reports. ?????????????

Anonymous

If your worried about the engne side of things then your probably best off ditching the BLITZ filter as they are not exactly the best filtering you can get.

GSB

Quote from: "j80rjo"But is it worth pushing the extra power out when we are getting all these bad engine reports. ?????????????

Keep running that Blitz filter, and you wont have an engine left to worry about. Those things couldn't filter tea leaves...

As for the power gain not being noticable, you wont have one, any advantages in improved breathing will be nullified by the fact that your engine is breathing hot air. Hot air = less bhp.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I have now got a cold air pipe buts its a DIY one, seems to help slightly. I read an article posted on here about airfilters, blitz was as good as any for filtration ! As anyone on here had problems with the BLITZ, i guess they have. all the talk on about the engine being sh*t got me a bit worried but im starting to think about getting rid before something does happen. I seen the post about 2nd hand engines being cheap as chips but do you realy want to be doing that every 20 - 30 k as I was looking to keep the 2 for some time. Might just bite the bullet and get an elise / vx220 but dont realy want 2.

mph

Do try and remember that the nature of the forum will tend to be biased towards the problems the car has.

Mine is just coming up three years old the end of this month which will so happen to be coinciding with 40,000miles.

It's had an A'PEXi air filter since June 2002, it's been tracked regularly since July 2002, had the Unichip fitted October 2002 and then was turbo'd in May/June 2003. It gets thrown into 1G corners at 100mph* and screams** down autobahns at 150mph. (Due to a slight calibration error) it's been run at 1bar boost (14psi) and not melted nor blown the block apart.

In essence, yes, some people have had problems; however the vast majority enjoy trouble-free driving even when asking the most from their '2 and its engine.

*on the odd occasion I get the car properly balanced
**actually, that'd have been me ;)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "j80rjo"I have now got a cold air pipe buts its a DIY one, seems to help slightly. I read an article posted on here about airfilters, blitz was as good as any for filtration ! As anyone on here had problems with the BLITZ, i guess they have. all the talk on about the engine being sh*t got me a bit worried but im starting to think about getting rid before something does happen. I seen the post about 2nd hand engines being cheap as chips but do you realy want to be doing that every 20 - 30 k as I was looking to keep the 2 for some time. Might just bite the bullet and get an elise / vx220 but dont realy want 2.

the test in question didn't put blitz as good as any, for filtration it is teh worst available.

and if it's teh inlet duct your talkign about it won't work with an induction kit anyway.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Sam I think was the one who had problems with the Blitz IIRC
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"the test in question didn't put blitz as good as any, for filtration it is the worst available.

Indeed;  m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7371#7371 m

Anonymous

i cant see this cold air pipe that many of you have ordered will give any noticeable power gains.

I think you are best to remove the elbow pipe, as to get more cold air into the engine. And i dont think that where the air box is, especially the elbow pipe has warm air around there.

1. it is contantly getting a fresh cold air supply from the left air intake

2. there is a heat shield right next to the air inlet pipe to further prevent warm air getting sucked into the air box.

3. its free and makes a nice sound   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

well the air is hotter with no pipe, we tested it with teh pocketlogger and proved it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

how much hotter though? cant be any more than a few degrees Celcius??

markiii

granted, but that few degrees, nullifies any benefit from teh extra airflow. Thats why a full width replacement pipe gives teh best of both worlds.

Anonymous

really needs to be dyno'd with and without the inlet pipe. dont suppose anyone has done this?

Anonymous

Probably just me over reacting, seeing that your 2 handles all that "MPH". Had my heart set on getting a duel exit exhaust but then thought better not MOD too much just in case. Going to get one. With regards to the BLITZ come on guys there is not much between the filters. Reading some JAP mags loads of MR2's seem to be running them. Time will tell but it sounds great. I have made a DIY cold air pipe to bring in the cold air from both side vents. NICE. Sorry if I seemed to be dissing the 2 guys BAD DAY.

markiii

Quote from: "Tomr2"really needs to be dyno'd with and without the inlet pipe. dont suppose anyone has done this?

not yet.

the dyno is about 3 times teh cost of the pipe, so it's cheaper to just try it and see.

however the pocketlogger is a good indication, it recorded increased airflow with teh pipe out, but higher temps. With the original pipe in air temp went down, but so did airflow.

should be kind of obvious that this gives the best of both worlds and has the best chance of making power. However chance is the word, as clearly stated in the discussion.

aaronjb

Just to add a little fuel to the fire on the Blitz side of things, so to speak..

I ran a single stainless mesh cone on the 300ZX for several thousand miles before a strip & rebuild (as you do, not that there was anything wrong with the engine except some annoying oil leaks from annoying gaskets) and found zero impellor wear, zero inlet tract wear, and zero bore wear..

Granted, perhaps if I'd run that filter for 60,000 miles I might have seen some wear, but..

Must admit though that the inlet tract on the ZX is much longer than on the '2, so perhaps that played a part.

Other than that, I will admit that the 'tests' I've seen have all shown the Blitz to let through more small particulates than other filters. But, given my experience above, I wasn't too worried about that..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

well as they say, you pays your money and takes your chance.

Personally having seen them I won't put one on my engine, but if your comfortable with teh idea go for it.

GSB

Engine wear from particulates is obviously dependent upon the type, size and number of particulates ingested. Some areas have more damaging atmospheres than others.

A decent filter will remove the majority of harmful particulates, many "performance" filters sacrifice filtration in the name of flow.

Bear in mind the all aluminium construction of the 1ZZ engine, and the fact that it doesnt have valve seats in their conventional sense (the valves run directly in the auliminum head) and you'll realise the good filtration is perhaps a tad more important on this engine, than on one of more "substantial" construction.

Any filter you can actually see through, may as well not be there at all. All its going to filter out is nuts and bolts.

Your filter is very important to the longevity of your engine, which has already been seen to have a 'fragile' nature. So choose carefully.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "GSB"Bear in mind the all aluminium construction of the 1ZZ engine, and the fact that it doesnt have valve seats in their conventional sense (the valves run directly in the auliminum head) and you'll realise the good filtration is perhaps a tad more important on this engine, than on one of more "substantial" construction.

A fair point - it's true to say that the VG30DETT was built like the proverbial - afterall, it's roots are in 1970's block design (just the heads etc that were new, along with the bearing journals & crank technology), whereas the 1ZZ is an all new design, taking advantage of much tighter tolerances, so it will be much less forgiving when it comes to particulate ingestion.

QuoteAny filter you can actually see through, may as well not be there at all. All its going to filter out is nuts and bolts.

Yikes - gotta say, I definitely couldn't see through mine!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

the one we saw at adams was worse than your average tea strainer.

Anonymous

at least where the air intake is on the 2 it is quite high up in the air, thus not that likely to suck in too much dust and other nasty little things.
Whereas on a typical front engine car, the cold air pipe can go right down below the chasis (like on my last car a puma) very low to the ground   s:( :( s:(

Tags: