Turbo: whats needed

Started by Anonymous, June 13, 2011, 07:16

Sonner

So here's a question.... with a breif statement first.

I will never have £3500 sitting in an account.. if i did i would probs sell the MR2 add that to the £3500 and go buy a VX220 or a Boxster 3.2S with a few bob on finance.

However i would like to turbo charge my 2,

i will probs buy the Apexi first(fit immediately)..... then a fidanza flywheel and performance clutch as a set(fit immediately)..... then bigger injectors(dunno if i can fit immediately)....i have a T28 turbo removed from a friends car that did all of 300miles before he got banned from driving after writing off his car(couldn't handle the power)

i will get Zero to fabricate me a manifold and sports cat to bolt the turbo to and match it up to my TTE exhaust.. and i know i need an intercooler

but what else do i acutally need, and can i do it all this way. probably take about 8months for me to do all this

markiii

oil pipes, coolant pipes, engine management, air pipes

to name but a few
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Sonner

apexi power FC is the engine manangement???

Sonner

just checked the Turbo, it's a KKK K03, i've had it for a fairly long time gathering dust, it's soooo new, he fitted it to a fiat Sciecento of all things and wrote it off 6 days later! had it 3yrs was originally wanting to put it on my 1.2 corsa but cost was inhibitive and it was cheaper to sell the corsa and buy a faster car to start with

it's probs a bit on the small side for big BHP gains by the looks of it, but i hope it can still provide at least a 50bhp boost, 190-210bhp with standard internals is what i would like to run.

markiii

do KKK use a Garret flange?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Good chat about the K03 here: linky looks like it may just be the job for you giving up to 12psi .... 9psi is quite healthy on our engines. I don't know about the flange you need to mount it though
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Wabbitkilla

Be aware that the K03 came with two different trims, one reaches max boost at 1900rpm for the diesel engine that only revs to 4500rpm, and the other reaches max boost at 2300-2400 rpm for the petol engine. The diesel one will be over-spinning with our redline of 7000rpm.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Sonner

YEs has garret flange, well it's the turbocharger they used on the 20vt VAg  unit. he bought it from VW as a part for a gti golf 1.8 T

Sonner

it is defo for the petrol

Sonner

by the sounds of it that turbo will produce a upto 70bhp extra from the 1zz-fe, so with APExi i would hope a max of 220bhp, tbh i would probably try 180-190bhp at boost of 6-9psi and go from there, depends really at what stage my chassis tuning is at and how the engine is running and fuel economy. but i think even 180bhp would make the MR2 Fast as opposed to Brisk...

Anonymous

if the turbo is from a stanard 20v then i think its only a t25. my mates 20v is running 225 on the stanard turbo. now if he wants more power he will need a bigger turbo.

muffdan

a T25 is good for making between 230 and 240bhp
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

markiii

Quote from: "rbuckingham"if the turbo is from a stanard 20v then i think its only a t25. my mates 20v is running 225 on the stanard turbo. now if he wants more power he will need a bigger turbo.

he states its a KKK, thats not a T anything

Anonymous

nope he says t28.

markiii

Quote from: "Sonner"just checked the Turbo, it's a KKK K03, i've had it for a fairly long time gathering dust, it's soooo new, he fitted it to a fiat Sciecento of all things and wrote it off 6 days later! had it 3yrs was originally wanting to put it on my 1.2 corsa but cost was inhibitive and it was cheaper to sell the corsa and buy a faster car to start with

it's probs a bit on the small side for big BHP gains by the looks of it, but i hope it can still provide at least a 50bhp boost, 190-210bhp with standard internals is what i would like to run.

really

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "Sonner"just checked the Turbo, it's a KKK K03, i've had it for a fairly long time gathering dust, it's soooo new, he fitted it to a fiat Sciecento of all things and wrote it off 6 days later! had it 3yrs was originally wanting to put it on my 1.2 corsa but cost was inhibitive and it was cheaper to sell the corsa and buy a faster car to start with

really

missed that  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

never heard of kkk

stargazer30

Quote from: "rbuckingham"never heard of kkk

I think this is the same turbo used on the focus ST.  I know it was a KKK just not sure if its a different model.  On the ST its a small turbo that can produce 1.2 bar of boost but can't hold it at high RPM, but the ST had a larger CC engine to feed.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Sonner"So here's a question.... with a breif statement first.

I will never have £3500 sitting in an account.. if i did i would probs sell the MR2 add that to the £3500 and go buy a VX220 or a Boxster 3.2S with a few bob on finance.

However i would like to turbo charge my 2,

i will probs buy the Apexi first(fit immediately)..... then a fidanza flywheel and performance clutch as a set(fit immediately)..... then bigger injectors(dunno if i can fit immediately)....i have a T28 turbo removed from a friends car that did all of 300miles before he got banned from driving after writing off his car(couldn't handle the power)

i will get Zero to fabricate me a manifold and sports cat to bolt the turbo to and match it up to my TTE exhaust.. and i know i need an intercooler

but what else do i acutally need, and can i do it all this way. probably take about 8months for me to do all this

If it where me, I would try and buy the bits then do the fitting all in one go. By doing things in stages, you cost yourself more time and each time you set something up, you have to add mapping time. When you say you would fit the Apexi first, I presume you mean the ECU? If so, you would need to have it mapped, then you have to re do it when the bigger injectors go in and again when the turbo is fitted. You could end up wasting several hundred pounds in unnecessary rolling road bills.  Buy the bits and store them, then hit it all in one go.

For the manifold, a couple of alternatives: PTR Exhausts in Brackley, I have been well impressed by the standard of work there. Nearer home to you is Powerspeed in Ashton, good reputation, not used them myself.

That turbo should be good for a safe 230bhp if it is the unit I think it is.

Key thing is to add the handling enhancements before adding the power though.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Sonner

Yes i know the car needs handling enchancements, i have a set of 4 toyo T1-R's ready to go on(my fronts are different to my rears at the moment) but all my current tyres have a good 6mm of tread and i want to wear them down to 3mm before i chuck them otherwise i'm wasting money.

The only thing i have done is a front strut brace at the moment, but next month i am going to poly bush the whole vehicle, then fit a reat brace and lowering springs...

and when money allows i will slowly buy all the bits that form the 3.0 bracing kit... but tbh i wanted to avoid coilovers until i turbo the vehicle(if i turbo the vehicle)

markiii

not being funny but if your teh kind of person prepared to risk running down your known mismatched tyres before changing them just to save money then I don't think a DIY turbo is for you,

it will need tweaking, maintenance and money spending, its not fit and forget and the it can last a bit longer attitude is likely to result in a dead turbo and a grenaded engine

Sonner

and if i do get coilovers, i will chose the comfort ones with 4/6kgs settings like you have Chris as i won't ever track the vehicle and it's kind of a daily driver

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Sonner"and if i do get coilovers, i will chose the comfort ones with 4/6kgs settings like you have Chris as i won't ever track the vehicle and it's kind of a daily driver

Comfort is a relative  s:D :D s:D  You are welcome to a ride in mine sometime to see what they are like. Certainly stiff enough to keep it tidy on track.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"not being funny but if your the kind of person prepared to risk running down your known mismatched tyres before changing them just to save money then I don't think a DIY turbo is for you,

it will need tweaking, maintenance and money spending, its not fit and forget and the it can last a bit longer attitude is likely to result in a dead turbo and a grenaded engine

hes got a point. i wanted to put my engine in with the supercharger and everything else as its more cost effective in mapping mainly as that costs a fortune to get done. sadly i had to put my engine in quick as the other one died from ovalbore. so far its cost me nearly £3k which isnt much but that plus an extra £500 everything would of been everything. now because i had to rush it in is going to probably cost me £1500 to get the other bits on and mapping. also way up the cost of doing it this diy way, and i bet for the same power the sp will probably not cost any extra and its a proven working kit.

Sonner

THERE ISN'T ANY NEED TO HAVE MATCHING FRONTs AND REARs, IT's NICE BUT NOT NECESSARY! as long as you know your car and your tyres it makes no real difference. The fact that i already have bought the matching tyres(first thing i did when i got the car) shows i do not have the 'it can last a bit longer attitude'

i never put them on because i found the car handled fine with what's on there, still had predictable on the limit handling and braking stability in the wet etc etc.

i may not have alot of money but i know what the priorities are on a car and how to drive one.

Sonner

Sorry Tristan about the thread hijack btw.

And i don't mean to act aggressively in my previous post, but markiii did upset me with that comment.

i have calmed down now, sorry for being stressy

Tags: