Seems to be the season for clutches.

Started by Wabbitkilla, June 15, 2011, 13:12

Wabbitkilla

Well last night when going for a drive with friends (after a 200 mile trip to a family "event" in Newcastle) I lost the ability to disengage the clutch.
Started as a feeling like when you don't press the pedal far enough and ended with a complete lack of ability to release the clutch.
No big noises or anything, just a pretty quick inability to change gear.
Clutch pedal operates as normal and I've lost no fluid in the system, although the usual squeaky noise has become more noticeable on operation, most likely the clutch itself making that noise.

This clutch is an Exedy Organic clutch which I bought as a part of the group buy a couple of years back, it now has 60000miles on it, and to be honest I have treated it pretty harshly over that time. Not particularly slipping it or anything, the friction material is just fine, it seems more to do with the centre, I'll take photos when I get it back. I am just so relieved it didn't let go during my recent jaunt through Europe into Italy. As the car is immobile and I don't have any facilities to work on the car off-road then I'll be getting a local garage to do the work, he is someone I can trust to do a good job. I've ordered a good replacement clutch ... and I'll probably need to order some gearbox oil at the same time ... any recommendations on a gearbox oil anyone?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

PeteT

Please to hear you have found the problem.
Pete

steve-m-uk

How lucky that it gave up so near the sun inn  s:) :) s:)  bit of a polava getting it on the recovery truck but was good to see everyone wait with Nik and help out loading the car onto the truck. My bet is on a crack in the centre plate near one of the damper springs.
Re gear oil I got some great stuff from opie for the mk2 it was called motulgear iirc
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

loadswine

MT90 is pretty good Nic. I put that in mine when I changed my clutch a few weeks back.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

FGrob

Yep same here - Redline MT90, seems to be OK had it in for 18 months now.

I'll be interested to hear about your replacement, I've got a rattling thrust bearing which really needs replacing, plus I'd like a better flywheel.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

E

Redline MT90 for me to.

mr-ed_smt

another vote for MT90 - really transformed the shift on my SMT
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Wabbitkilla

I'm on a TRD lightened flywheel at the moment (fitted the same time as the Exedy clutch).
I've ordered the LUK clutch which is getting a good reputation.
2L of MT-90 is now ordered too, thanks chaps I know it's been recommended before but I'd just forgotten the name.  s:) :) s:)  

Unfortunately I have to wait till the 27th to get it into the garage for fitting so will be relying on the trusty Ford until then.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

muffdan

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"so will be relying on the rusty Ford until then.

Fixed that for you.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

Another vote for mt90. Broken clutches mus be catching. Got new one in now, can't wait to drive It.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

ChrisGB

Did you replace the actuator when the exdey went in? Could be that it has given up so it won't fully disengage.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: