£2000 to spend ...uk

Started by Anonymous, July 2, 2011, 20:34

Anonymous

Hi guys n Gals,

After reading many older posts i need up to date advice,    s:D :D s:D  

from what i have read.... items needed are ......( please tell me where to get them for the best deals)    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
                                                Induction kit
                                                Exhaust system
                                                Bolt on chip

I also want new wheels/tyres (Black mr2 roadster)   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

If extras are needed  or new items are out please tell me...i want More fun...  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Also does the club do meetings ....I am having such fun in my little MR2   s:) :) s:)  

Can some one please give me the best options/advice for the uk and a place to get the work done ............if possible for £2000   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

uktotty

Sounds like a good price

Exhaust £3-500
Chip £200 plus £300 to map it
Induction kit £70-£100

Wheels £100 - £5000

Meetings all over the place if you put your location we can put you in touch with local members

Anonymous

can you name brands and where to get them

OMG fast reply

happy mr2 driver.... yer lovin twin exhausts on your mota....thats the way to go  s:) :) s:)

your spoiler and rear bumper looks great bud

coventry driver

VVT-i

Forget an Induction kit, unless of course you want sound over performance.. if you want performance get a good panel filter and a MKiii inlet pipe (trd copy). Induction kits can suffer from heat soak and reduce power slightly.

Wheels... gun metal grey with a polished lip looks good on black cars, but it's a personal preferance, so get whatever you think will look good on your car.

Chip - Unichip etc, can get gains between 10 - 20 bhp when coupled with a good exhaust system (£3 - £500 as totty has said) and panel filter... but a lot of money for the gains you will get... £1500 for what could turn out to be 15bhp.

Exhaust - There are lots of options out there, searching the forum will throw out plenty of names, I had the Magnex twin exit which gave me an extra 5bhp on the standard setup, it was dyno tested before a Unichip was fitted. (Graph to proove will be kicking about somewhere). You could also get a custom system made up to your own specification for more or less the same outlay

My advice for a 2K budget would be to forget about power modifications and concentrate on the handling....

Lowering Springs - £150 + fitting
or
Coilover suspension kit - from roughly £700 upwards + fitting
Uprated anti-roll bars - Whiteline front and rear, with a camber kit and droplinks cost me £500.. this included a full geometric set up too.
Chassis and strut bracing - search for pricing

You don't need power to get the most from these cars, the fun is in the cornering, the car was built for twisty B roads, sort out the handling and you will get far more bang for your buck.

If you want more power, save more money and drop in a turbo... £4 - £7K depending on what you factor in for ECU and mapping, Cooling, gauges etc etc etc.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

great reply thx

wheels are exactly how i was thinking ,, gun metal all the way what size rim/trye como is best plz

i have got to go Chip - Unichip best mod

and springs then .....

i will get looks ... 15bhp and lowered

i guess 700 for wheels n tyres
           1500 for chip
          150 lowered
and maybe a savage looking rear spoiler.....

2000k ??? oh by the way i need the rear grill inserts for my back end ... any ideas ?

if i do this and get the mod bug i will go with exhaust and turbo

i want a road racer up to 70 mph of course ...but looks and handling and a little more poke will do for my first venture

i have given my email ...if you know a fantastic garage ill get it done and post the mods

thx...any more ides are welcome...i want this to happen

checked your gleaming mota...i want that spoiler ...looks great...what is it?

cheers haxor

mrzwei

Some on here have saved a bit for track driving tuition. This coupled with some of the handling mods mentioned will probably get you the greatest gain.
The best driver in town with the slowest car will always do better than the slowest driver with the fastest car. I learned loads from the very brief encounters I had on track and wish I'd done more.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

thats my plan.....i want my car to be my track car to learn how to go fast But i want something worthy  s:) :) s:)

thx for that..i appreciate it  s:) :) s:)

VVT-i

My spoiler?  if so it's known as the Banana and it's by TTE, some come up on Ebay for around £100.. I think it's the Toyota rear sports spoiler, I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

If you have the links for the panel filter and a MKiii inlet pipe ill order now  s:) :) s:)  i have found bmc...pipercross and k&n which is best ?http://www.aktivperformanceparts.co.uk/p0/mr2-mk3-roadster/383798.htm
If you know of a good garage near Coventry (west midlands ) Ill call them monday  s:) :) s:)
If you know a good wheel?tyres place ill call monday  s:) :) s:)
lowered springs ??? i guess thats a garage job that could be done with the wheels/tyres....
should get about 160bhp...sweeter handling and better looks....ill get what im after so Happy days  s:) :) s:)
plz support my enthusiasm...so i dont bottle it

thx Haxor

spoiler...exhaust...turbo are next stage....

ps i need the grills for my rear if anyone has them  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "haxor"If you have the links for the panel filter and a MKiii inlet pipe ill order now  s:) :) s:)  i have found bmc...pipercross and k&n which is best ?http://www.aktivperformanceparts.co.uk/p0/mr2-mk3-roadster/383798.htm
If you know of a good garage near Coventry (west midlands ) Ill call them monday  s:) :) s:)
If you know a good wheel?tyres place ill call monday  s:) :) s:)
lowered springs ??? i guess thats a garage job that could be done with the wheels/tyres....
should get about 160bhp...sweeter handling and better looks....ill get what I'm after so Happy days  s:) :) s:)
plz support my enthusiasm...so i dont bottle it

thx Haxor

spoiler...exhaust...turbo are next stage....

ps i need the grills for my rear if anyone has them  s:) :) s:)

sorry to burst your bubble but with an air filter and ecu and the fact its lost some bhp over the years as all cars do but i wouldnt be expecting any over 135 bhp not 160 bhp. that sort of power from an na can be reached but your talking major engine work.

VVT-i

Found an old post of mine on another forum...

QuoteGot the car Dyno'd yesterday.. here are my results...

Standard (new and just out of the box) = 141bhp - 117.3ft.lb @ 4500rpm

With the Magnex Exhaust (looks sweet btw) = 145.7bhp - 123.5ft.lb @ 4500rpm

With UniChip and Magnex = 150.9bhp - 128.1ft.lb @ 4500rpm

Also a whole lot smoother through the gears, a quicker throttle responce.. the car just feels and drives a whole lot better.. money well spent imho.

The car was about a year old at the time and had only done about 3000 miles, so virtually brand new, so 141bhp from a brand new engine. Then the garage fitted the exhaust and dyno'd it again, just under 5bhp gain. Then they added the Unichip and I got another 5 bhp.

Just to be clear, the garage that done the job was Dastek in Dalgety Bay in Fife.. so they should know what to do with a Dastek Unichip.

I was informed before getting it that BHP gains weren't guaranteed as it depended on how good a job the standard ECU was doing, engines are all slightly different whereas ECU's are all programmed in the same way, it may just happen that the standard ECU will be getting the most from the engine already, the only gaurantee they would give me is that fitting the Unichip will give me the best my engine would deliver.

I would think long and hard before spendiong £500 quid for what might turn out to be 5BHP (or next to nothing) If I was you I would go for the MKiii pipe ( l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28403 l ) with a K&N filter anf get a descent exhaust system fitted, see how it feels with that, what you should find is a nice sound and better throttle response, this alone could make the car feel as though it has an extra 20 BHP and you maybe happy enough at that, saving you £500 quid to spend on other mods.

I would then continue with the handling mods... suspension and bracing. As far as wheels go, the best set up is 15" front and 16" rear (keeping the tyre sizes staggered) if you want bigger wheels then I wouldn't go bigger that 17" and only then if you lower the car by at least 30mm.... just try and buy staggered wheels if you can, research research research I'm afraid.

Do your research properly (yes.. I know it's a lot of reading and searching) buy the right products and you will have a well sorted n/a MR2 which looks and sounds sweet, more power should you still want it can come later, but at least the rest of the car will be ready for it  s;) ;) s;)

nathanMR2

I know people slag off induction kits but with the right one in the right place you get results. I had a markiii pipe and a k&n pannel filter and changed to a PPE with apexi filter and i noticed a difference as soon as i replaced it. That was even before the remap and ive achieved decent results
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

I am working my way through each responce. Great posts thanks...im locating dealers....i have a staggered wheel set up ..nice crisp handling..wants to spin when pressed , i guess thats due to low front end weight.

options i will do is the... filter. k&n looks good but ill check the apexi
looking at repairing my wheels and buying top rubber.
a new pipe and unichip...trying to locate prices,model,fitter for the chip(including set up )

All in all its looking very promising .....

dcod

Black MR2 ... new wheels ... there's only one option in my mind ... black wheels with polished rim.

That's I'm planning to do   s:) :) s:)   (when I have spare money   s:( :( s:(  )
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Wabbitkilla

£2000 may sound a lot to spend on your car, but if you're relying on garages doing the work you will find it's eaten into very quickly.
Best bet is to do your research and diy ... I'm sure other members will be willing to help.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vinp182

I've gone for matt black wheels on my black 2   s:D :D s:D  

If you want a close reliable garage to do you're work then mrtwos aint that far from you.. Nathan there is a top bloke and very reasonable with his pricing
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

nathanMR2

+ 1 for MrTwos. He's a top bloke and you'll find his prices very hard to beat!
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dj2k21

Don't want to sound too buyist with being a turbo owner but I personally think that you should forget what would essentially be a waste of money on getting around 10bhp (you can make the car feel quicker by having quarter of a tank instead of a full tank and having a massive wee and poo before driving it to save weight lol) I would certainly be removing excess weight from the car and upgrading handling and braking firstly, no use adding extra power without doing handling mods first. A decent set of coil overs will make much more of an impact on you than a air filter and a back box. I personally run Tein super street coil overs with EDFC too. But other owners have other makes and find them good too. Seriously mate think about hat your doing before you make a big mistake. Just my 2p worth anyways   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

Im glad i came on this forum...new ideas popping up....gotta say big thx to you all...

I think going to an event would be a good idea ..to network you guys ..

Some serious cars around.

muffdan

Personally, if it was me I'd get the following:

Che ARB's
Front Strut Brace (cusco or the like)
Full underbody brace (TTE or SP)
TTE lowering springs
Wider wheels with decent rubber (aiming for 245 on the rear, 205 on the front)

Then I'd save the rest of the money, putting it towards a turbo kit at a later date!  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

dcod

Do you have a red interior? This may look good.

Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

vinp182

Quote from: "haxor"I'm glad i came on this forum...new ideas popping up....gotta say big thx to you all...

I think going to an event would be a good idea ..to network you guys ..

Some serious cars around.

Japfest 2 at Donnington is this Sunday mate.. I should have a couple of spare stand passes for the mr2oc stand but you will have to get you're ticket on the gate i'm affraid

There will be 2 mk3 turb's and at least 1 mk3 n/a for you to have a look around   s:D :D s:D  

Other than that, the mids meet is on the 3rd wednesday of every month at the Harvester pub in Kingswinford
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Treboeth

Quote from: "dcod"Do you have a red interior? This may look good.

is that yours?

never thought black wheels looked good on aa black car but that red rim really sets them off  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

uktotty

Yeah have to agree, I love the red rims on the wheels

Tags: