1 gearbox dead and maybe another just eaten?

Started by spleenboy, July 8, 2011, 19:28

spleenboy

I have not checked it yet as it is locked in the garage - am going to print this all off and show it to the mechanic.

Question - as I said the gear lever went loose again after I was pushed a couple of feet and then reverse worrked fine. If I can get all the other gears (which I did not try at the time as I was just happy to be able to get it back to the garage) surely the gearbox would be o.k and the selector mechanism is at fault because gearboxes dont go from broken to well again. is that correct?

mrzwei

Life of Bryans test should isolate the problem.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

spleenboy

just to draw a line under this - It was a faulty gearbox I had bought. I replaced it with a recon box and now it works fine. I gave the mechanic a print out of your thoughts and it did help.

Thank you all very much

spleenboy

try not to laugh but I might have yet another problem.

I took it out on its first motorway run and it seemed rather revvy.
60mph - just over 3000rpm
70mph just over 3500 prm
80mph just over 4000 rpm
90mph just over 4500 rpm

I took it up top just over 100 mph and it seemed to be screaming it nuts off.

The 2nd gearbox I bought had to have something taken off the 1st gear box I bought - maybe the selector? Could it be they have supplied me a 6 speed box? That is why 5th is revving so high.

2 Questions -
1. am I imagining this and it was always perticularly revvy or not.
2. if not what do I have to do to convert the 6 speed box to my car? I think the selector was on the wrong side which is why we used the selector from the first box.

Cheers

Matt

SteveJ

Sounds more like you have a j-spec gearbox. Definately not a 6 speed - 6th is an extra gear 'on top' - the rest of the ratios remain the same.

Anonymous

Anonymous

rpm seem right to speed going on my 5 speed also note this is a public forum you dont really want to mention certain speeds  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "rbuckingham"also note this is a public forum you dont really want to mention certain speeds  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Doesnt really matter as cant be proven and he could have jacked up rear wheels off ground to test this and achieve speedo reading.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"also note this is a public forum you dont really want to mention certain speeds  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Doesnt really matter as cant be proven and he could have jacked up rear wheels off ground to test this and achieve speedo reading.  s:D :D s:D

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but i think you would need to spin all 4 wheels as the roadster works out the speed by reading the rotation speed on all 4 wheels

Tags: