decat pipes and insurance

Started by Anonymous, April 8, 2004, 15:59

Anonymous

Now I understand that decat pipes are illegal if the car is of the age that a cat is required for your age and model.

So.... in principle you cant really tell your insurer about a decat pipe as it make the car unroadworthy according to law and therefore they shouldnt insure it unless its for track use right?

So if you had a major crunch on your modded mota and the insurance assesor does his normal checks and says " hey theres no cat on this car, its illegal, were not paying out!"

worrying ???

Anonymous

Not that I'm advocating it, but would you get away with a standard pipe that has lost the cat? It could have crumbled and broke up and fell out in pieces whilst you were driving and you hadn't noticed.....honest  s;) ;) s;)

Other than that, I think you are right that you are probably stuffed. It's a risk a lot of people take that the car won't be inspected as they won't have an accident, but if you happen to have one, it suddenly becomes a big risk  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

I know when I spun my old mk2 MR2 the insurance assesor looked at everything on the off chance of a 'get out'.  he checked the pedals, gear knob etc to see if they were standard   s:? :? s:?

DAZ400

Perry if you get a cat from breakers and decat it rather than have a replacement pipe fitted then no one would know as it looks standard.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

I know matey, thats one option, but waiting on a potential seller coming back to me on that.  Another option is to go all new exhaust and sell the magnex as its only 3 months old, but then if cats are required by law I would be screwed come an accident.

DAZ400

How many breakers have you tried ?

Did you try Hills they had 3 MR2's  ?

You could of had mine if you weren't beaton to the finish by Ian.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"You could of had mine if you weren't beaton to the finish by Ian.

DAMN that Ian, he's like a vulture   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

tell me about it!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

to be precise Perry, the cats aren't a legal requirement. They are just needed to get the vehicle through an MOT.

taking aside the issue of emmisions and looking simply whether the cat si there or not.an MOT is only valid for the time it takes to right the certificate. It's a spot check, theres no gurantee that teh car is roadworthy for teh next 12 months.

now you have a legal responsibility to ensure that teh cars is safe and roadworthy.  and wether teh cats could be classed as this is anyones guess.

personally I just told the insurance company, their only interest is financial tehy don't really care about teh legalities.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

[admin: thread split; also see:  m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3533 m  regarding boost creep]
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: