Wheel spinning

Started by Anonymous, April 8, 2004, 23:20

Tem

Hmmmm...it needs the weight only for calculating hp.

Think about it...it knows the time internally and it knows the acceleration all the time. That's all you need to calculate speed and distance  s;) ;) s;)

I'm not sure about the Competition model, but the basic model doesn't even ask the weight, unless you're doing hp run...

And 6.2 is easy to believe. Those of you who don't believe it, get a GTech or similar to yourself and notice how your time improves by second with a lil training  s8) 8) s8)  I was able to get 6.48 with a worn clutch myself...but it you miss the launch, it's easily near 8s...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tem

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"I am clueless with the gtech, never seen or used one, my question is how does it know when you reach 60mph?

It's basic physics...

v=at (speed=acceleration*time)

Of course the acceleration changes all the time, but you get the idea...

Also s=0.5at^2 (distance=0.5*acceleration*time^2) and that's how you can do 1/4mile runs...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Hmmmm...it needs the weight only for calculating hp.

That's what I was thinking Tem, so it ain't just me then  s:) :) s:)

juansolo

I sit corrected.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

would an LSD improve your 0-60? mines a j-spec 2000 so probably doesnt have one. Maybe this is why i have trouble putting the power down?

Liz

I thought they all came with LSD  s:?: :?: s:?:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

i beleive its only UK and a few later imports came with LSD as standard. ive heard it metioned that some jap 2's dont have it

Slacey

True, lower spec Jap cars and none of the US model cars came with LSD (although the US get it on the '04 model as an option).
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

juansolo

Quote from: "Tomr2"would an LSD improve your 0-60? mines a j-spec 2000 so probably doesnt have one. Maybe this is why i have trouble putting the power down?

Not really.  Traction out of corners yes, from a standstill you really haven't the power to spin one wheel up and not the other.  Most likely it's spin both.  To be perfectly honest, the Mr2 doesn't really need an LSD.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"True, lower spec Jap cars and none of the US model cars came with LSD

According to some brochures I have, LSD was an option to all four models in Japan (for year 2000).

MRMike

Quote from: "Tomr2"0-60 in 6.2?!?! - you're avin a larf!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   and a quarter mile in 14.2 secs, nah, cant believe that.

As for my wheel spinning, think i might put some different boots on, think ive got some shitty bridgestones on at the mo   s:( :( s:(

Finally got round to uploading that 1/4 mile run..again conducted on private quarry road

m http://www.SpyderMagazine.com/files/speed.jpg m

Also a rev graph..notice how smooth it leaves the line (no flare in Rpm) even launched at 6500rpm!

m http://www.SpyderMagazine.com/files/revs1.jpg m
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "MRMike"Finally got round to uploading that 1/4 mile run..again conducted on private quarry road

m http://www.SpyderMagazine.com/files/speed.jpg m

Looks like you're already doing 5mph at 0.0s?  s:? :? s:?  

Or am I reading those wrong..?

MRMike

I can't see it Tem..the 0 line is the first line on the vertical grid.  Speed reads 0 then.  There is the 'rollout' distance (0.5 of a second) as you probably know..are you referring to that?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "MRMike"I can't see it Tem..the 0 line is the first line on the vertical grid.  Speed reads 0 then.  There is the 'rollout' distance (0.5 of a second) as you probably know..are you referring to that?

Ah, now I get it...I didn't notice the "rollout"  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

MRMike

I've done that before, on the graphs they tend to be 'bunched up'

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

bloody hell, you get 95mph out of 3rd?? i get 80-82 tops!  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"bloody hell, you get 95mph out of 3rd?? i get 80-82 tops!  s:( :( s:(

I beleive that Jspecs have lower gear ratios - hence your lower speed in 3rd.

Anonymous

mph @ 6500rpm for a pre '03 Mr2 on standard tyres
1st - 35.6 mph
2nd - 59.1 mph
3rd - 85.9 mph
4th - 116.2 mph
5th - 138.1 mph
(posted by Juan Solo on an earlier thread)

If the above are correct, then it seems to me that there is an issue with the quoted accelleration data.  The speed graph seems to show reaching 40, 66 and 95 in 1st, 2nd and third, which according to JS's numbers, is not possible.  

Have I missed something?
Andy

Tem

Quote from: "Andy S"mph @ 6500rpm for a pre '03 Mr2 on standard tyres
1st - 35.6 mph
2nd - 59.1 mph
3rd - 85.9 mph

Have I missed something?

Yeah, you missed that the values above are for 6500rpm, not for rev limit  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Andy S"mph @ 6500rpm for a pre '03 Mr2 on standard tyres
1st - 35.6 mph
2nd - 59.1 mph
3rd - 85.9 mph

Have I missed something?

Yeah, you missed that the values above are for 6500rpm, not for rev limit  s;) ;) s;)
Ah, so I had!

juansolo

Later in that same thread I posted them at 6750rpm which is the marked red line (though not where the limiter is which is around 7000rpm).

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"
Quote from: "Tomr2"would an LSD improve your 0-60? mines a j-spec 2000 so probably doesnt have one. Maybe this is why i have trouble putting the power down?

Not really.  Traction out of corners yes, from a standstill you really haven't the power to spin one wheel up and not the other.  Most likely it's spin both.  To be perfectly honest, the Mr2 doesn't really need an LSD.

it might not need an LSD if you are driving on your perfect road, around the city here i can hear and feel LSD grippin if i am turning at traffic light, and no I am not driving like an maniac, just the roads are extremly worn off and pretty slick... add a bit of water or extreme sun, stock rubber will slip easily and thank god for LSD or i would have to be feather footed...

This is what might have happened to him, on some bad roads, i can loose traction in 2nd gear (or even 3rd), with not hard push at the pedal, of course, as you wrote, LSD wont engage if I am going straight

btw - all euro spec with 6speed (03 model) came with LSD from factory...

juansolo

LSD is Torsen stylie which is geared.  It works by directing the torque to the wheel with the most grip on up to a certain ratio (usually around 5:1).  Once this ratio is exceeded the diff goes 'open'.  Therefore they don't work on snow and ice.

It's not an LSD as such, it's what is known as a torque biasing differential.  The beauty of them is that they're great for road cars as they are seemless, quiet/silent and require no more maintenence than a standard open differential.

Essentially it means that putting on a lot of lock and dropping the clutch doesn't spin up your inside wheel, it spins both.  But do that violently enough with a non-LSD car and the results are the same.

Same goes for getting off the line.  The stock Mr2 simply doesn't have the power to give you any issues.  Don't get me wrong, it helps in certain circumstances, powering out of exceptionally tight corners for example.  But it's nothing a bit of throttle control couldn't compensate for.  Great and probably getting to the point of being essential for the turbo boys though.

This is the same reason that the Lotus Elise has never had an LSD, as it simply doesn't need it.

Anonymous

as i said, it works fine in extreme worn off streets here (turning from traffic light), but you are absolutly correct about straight line, i never notice it - so clear it up for technologically impaired, will our stock LSD help putting down power on straight whith turbo'd car? i eventually do plan getting an TTE turbo (if ever released),...

juansolo

It will be more useful on a turbo'd car yes.  Won't make much, if any difference in getting off the line though.  Unless one of your wheels is on a patch of oil and the other isn't that is.

Tags: