Good panel air filters?

Started by JoniiBoii, July 27, 2011, 16:37

JoniiBoii

Just looking on some topic searchs on here and found one discussing wether they are good or bad?

Was wondering if people could clear the air as to wether they are infact good or bad?

As i was thinking of investing in one of these if they are good?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-Air-Filte ... 2a0938dc06 m

Anyone with one please post links of the different variety's

Many thanks guy's and gals!  s:D :D s:D    s:) :) s:)

MisterK

I would guess that most members would have swopped over the standard paper filter for an uprated filter such as the K&N.  I fitted one to mine, along with a Mark111 pipe & it does make a slight noticable increase in BHP.  If you get one don't forget to clean your MAF on a regular basis as the filter is gauze with an oil film & the MAF can get contaminated with the oil.  I'd recommend the K&N but can't say for any other makes.  The price quoted seems OK, but see if you can get it with the Oil service kit included - I did.
MarkK
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Wabbitkilla

K&N's have a good reputation, the standard filter is actually surprisingly good too.
I used to have a Blitz LM filter in linky, which is a dry filter like the original and worked quite well with the Markiii pipe. Don't think that it's as bad filtering as the Blitz metal cones, it's actually a good filter.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Mike_V

Ive always used BMC panel filters and find that they are excellent, they are slightly oiled but never had any MAF issues, when Matt removed mine whilst doing my conversion he said that it's identical to the TTE filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

andywood

Didn't ChrisGB do dyno runs with stock filter, no filter and then 'performance' filter???

IIRC his result and conclusion was negligible difference and therefore you are best off just replacing the stock filter more regularly to ensure optimum/clean flow. Not sure that I would put an oil type filter in an intake system with a DENSO MAF either, but maybe that is just me being picky!

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

JoniiBoii

i dont understand ? should i just get a normal filter? STANDARD? as whats a

Markiii pipe?
MAF?

cant it be as easy as put it in a go?

Im CR*P at mechanical things guys....sorry about this please help me with this confusion?!

Anonymous

markiii pipe is a different sized pipe on the intake system to reduce a restriction

and maf is what the car uses to measure the amount of air going into the engine

JoniiBoii

so its just generally a better idea to leave it alone ?

OR change the pipe ? and make sure that the MAF , isnt incorrect therefore not givin the engine the insufficent amount of air nessasary?

FGrob

I've used the Markiii pipe and K&N for the last 5 1/2 years, cleaned the MAF about 5 times, not because of any problems just a good practice to get in too.

As for performance gains with a standard ECU, you will not see a great improvement, if any, but at least you are getting the most air you can into the engine safely - no dirt.

As for other types of intake systems, that's down to the individual taste and how much sound they want - but it all comes at a price and certainly the panel filter and Markiii pipe is the best value for money.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

nathanMR2

Quote from: "FGrob"I've used the Markiii pipe and K&N for the last 5 1/2 years, cleaned the MAF about 5 times, not because of any problems just a good practice to get in too.

Youve only cleaned your MAF five times in that long   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  oooh rob you are a dirty boy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

FGrob

Quote from: "nathanMR2"
Quote from: "FGrob"I've used the Markiii pipe and K&N for the last 5 1/2 years, cleaned the MAF about 5 times, not because of any problems just a good practice to get in too.

Youve only cleaned your MAF five times in that long   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  oooh rob you are a dirty boy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
That's just the inside   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

JoniiBoii

so where can i buy a Markiii pipe?  s:D :D s:D

FGrob

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"so where can i buy a Markiii pipe?  s:D :D s:D
Might want to start here  l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=34246&p=412525#p412525 l

JoniiBoii

just had a quick read , makes more sense to me now, still unsure what to do though? Would you guys suggest the Markiii pipe and a stock filter or K&N? or something totally different? Anything easier? as im not very good when it comes to mechanicals as you guys probably no LOL.  s;) ;) s;)

JoniiBoii

ok just been looking even more into the Markiii pipe and ive come to the conclusion id like to buy one, where can they be purchased guys n gals????

LINKS please.

Bernie

Try Private  sales doesn't say sold !

l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=34246 l
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

stargazer30

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"ok just been looking even more into the Markiii pipe and ive come to the conclusion id like to buy one, where can they be purchased guys n gals????

LINKS please.

My DIY one cost all of £8 off ebay...
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

JoniiBoii

See now i had a look after stargazer30 wacked that pic up, and it seems i already have a long black tube?! '' not in a sexual sense either before someone smart says something''  s;) ;) s;)  do they all come with one?

frogger

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"See now i had a look after stargazer30 wacked that pic up, and it seems i already have a long black tube?! ... do they all come with one?

Yes.

The standard one is shaped to create a certain profile of power delivery across the rev range.
The markiii pipe (markiii is a member on here) is not shaped so produces a different curve.
The one in stargazers is not shaped in any meaningfull way and does not have any intentional positive/negative effect on the delivery.

No alternative solution removes a 'restriction' as indicated above, because the intake design is not the limiting factor of power output on stock engines.
Each to their own. It's a bit off topic from your panel filter Q, but related nonetheless.

All 3 solutions serve the same primary purpose - to feed cold air from a different part of the bay (rather than sucking hotter air straight in 'at source').
The 3 solutions will differ slightly in terms of how they effect the power/torque curves.

JoniiBoii

Quote from: "frogger"It's a bit off topic from your panel filter Q,.

see now thats made the most sense to me if im honest LOL

Ive heard all about the oiled ones and the other types as i looked into it on here via search engine, all i really wanna no is whats a decent panel air filter, not tubes ,pipes and stuff, as why fiddle with something that in my eyes is already great? Sounds like im contradicting myself when i look back at it LOL. ?But im sure a few people will get me  s;) ;) s;)

frogger

Simple awnser is, on a stock engine, you aren't likely to gain anything whatsoever by paying more for a 'good' brand panel like K&N over a standard Toyota replacement. (No power increase, no change in sound).

There is the argument that you could save £ in the long term by going with a aftermarket brand that can be washed and reused, rather than a throwaway Mr T one, but that relies on being bothered to wash and dry a filter - something I have never personally been inclined to do lol.

Motivations for changing the filter element itself exist only when (a) you've modified the engines power output to the degree that a less retstrictive filter is necessary, or (b) you want a different sound or power/torque curve.

... and option (b) involves more than just changing the panel filter - it requires pipe changes, and/or cone filter addition, with cold air feeds etc...

... Option (b) can sound nice though, disconnect part of your existing black pipe and go for a drive - you'll see what I mean lol.

FGrob

I think the botom line is, if you are not going to up-grade any other parts of the induction system then keep with the Toyota panel filter, I removed it because I like the K & N, but then again I'm old school and have modified all of my system except the standard box, plus I do see the benefit of a more stable intake temp.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The only thing I've learned with this car is to make a difference you have to spend big, so look to other areas to getter a better perfomance benefit - bracing etc, but you are not going to get much for £35.

Rob.

JoniiBoii

total change of heart...

i have these to choose from, which would you say is the best ?

m http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.p ... +KITS&man= m

cheers guys n gals...

frogger

Whats driving the need for change? (given the zero performance increase).

Sound?

The thing to look at with each of those is where they are positioned in the bay, and where the cold air feed comes in - to make sure you don't actually reduce performace by sucking in hot air.

JoniiBoii

i think its just generally down to sound now, as trying to achieve extra horse power isnt something im very concious about (as long as it doesnt go below the factory amount stated which is around 140), as long as it doesnt mess my engine up using any of the above filters shown on the link....is there any enclosed induction kits? as surely this would decrease the amount of hot air being sucked in?

Tags: