Good panel air filters?

Started by JoniiBoii, July 27, 2011, 16:37

frogger

Essentially an enclosed induction kit is, er, an air box with a panel filter  s:) :) s:)  lol... and the sound wouldn't be anything like a cone filter kit.

So, if your after a good sound then any of those in your link will suffice.
I don't have the knowledge of exactly how each of those kits sit in the bay, so can't really comment on which will keep a cool air feed, and maintain stock power.

However - I do recall seeing pretty much all of them about this forum in the past, with peoples personal reviews - including some with intake temp recordings (FGRob maybe?), so I'm sure the info you're after is about. Generally, if it sits nicely tucked away with a good feed of external air, then all is likely to be good.

Anonymous

the hks is good looks the part too as it is huge. lol also never had intake probs with it. if you speak to uktotty he can tell you what he thinks of the aem

Anonymous

Quote from: "frogger"The standard one is shaped to create a certain profile of power delivery across the rev range.
The markiii pipe (markiii is a member on here) is not shaped so produces a different curve.
The one in stargazers is not shaped in any meaningfull way and does not have any intentional positive/negative effect on the delivery.

No alternative solution removes a 'restriction' as indicated above, because the intake design is not the limiting factor of power output on stock engines.
Each to their own. It's a bit off topic from your panel filter Q, but related nonetheless.

Not quite true,the Markiii pipe is based on this TRD one but they are super expensive and rare.

JoniiBoii

I think i just generally want something that looks the part? A bit of bling i guess? LOL im loving the apexi one, but i think its only the cone? am i correct? P.s. ive also heard good reviews about this one too , am i correct?

m http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.p ... oduct=3371 m

FGrob

How much bling would you like, I think I have a little, but still retain the standard air box.  s:D :D s:D    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

AmeR

Quote from: "FGrob"...a little...

Yeah right!? Show cars blush when your 2 occasionally leaves the garage!!

Which reminds me... What was that polish you use? I need to do some serious research and get some proper cleaning stuff for my car!!

FGrob

Quote from: "AmeR"
Quote from: "FGrob"...a little...

Yeah right!? Show cars blush when your 2 occasionally leaves the garage!!

Which reminds me... What was that polish you use? I need to do some serious research and get some proper cleaning stuff for my car!!
It only shines a bit.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If you remember I use Meguiars Ultimate Polish (with the G220 - yellow pad), then DoDo Juice Purple Haze. If I'm detailing at a show, then I use Meguiars Ultimate Detailer to finish off. That's all I use on the body work.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

AmeR

Cheers for that, knew it was Meguiars, but couldn't remember quite which... Now back to the regularly scheduled programme!!

JoniiBoii

i didnt no if ''bling'' was the right word LOL! just dont want mine to become a halfords special is all, so choice is out of ,

1/ Apexi
2/HKS
3/AEM

suggestions...........

Anonymous

all good makes i would say HKS but then thats because of what i got but AEM is the only one that takes air from as far as poss away from the engine. but with the others you see a huge fiter when you open up the engine bay. In all cases there all going to really give the same performance non of which will be that noticeable. however sounds and looks apart from price is how i would decide.

JoniiBoii

aslong as i dont lose performance im happy which i wont do will i ? and where is the best place to buy, is funky power the cheapest ? as im on a budget?  s:) :) s:)

mattbrown82

Some good reviews of the PPE induction kit, so you might want to look into that one as well:

m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1336 m
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

JoniiBoii

awesome cheers for the link, by chance do you have one fitted ? if so how hard was it to fit? as what was said in the link sounds complicated?

''Places filter behind the battery next in front of the driver side air duct and pulls in cold air.''

Anonymous

sits behind the batt on passenger side it written for the us. not ment to be that hard to fit but can rattle from what ive read

mattbrown82

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"awesome cheers for the link, by chance do you have one fitted ? if so how hard was it to fit? as what was said in the link sounds complicated?

''Places filter behind the battery next in front of the driver side air duct and pulls in cold air.''

I've not got one fitted mate, so can't comment. It's the one I'd go for though.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Two's Company

I have had a TRD panel filter and a K&N panel filter. I noticed a difference when I replaced the TRD for the standard one but felt the K&N was worse than the dirty TRD it replaced.

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"Not quite true,the Markiii pipe is based on this TRD one but they are super expensive and rare.
The markiii pipe is not equivalent to the TRD pipe. The TRD pipe has a bellmouth and is not designed to connect to the pipe above the wheel well. This is the TRD pipe (TRD suggest you actually remove the piping above the wheel well):

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ferrino"
Quote from: "life of bryan"Not quite true,the Markiii pipe is based on this TRD one but they are super expensive and rare.
The markiii pipe is not equivalent to the TRD pipe. The TRD pipe has a bellmouth and is not designed to connect to the pipe above the wheel well. This is the TRD pipe (TRD suggest you actually remove the piping above the wheel well):

A lot of new old users popping up lately,so who did you use to be? DanM maybe?

frogger

The photobucket account used to host the above image,  m http://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/far371/ m  , is not a UK member.
And the image used does not appear in any google image search results for TRD inlets, so unlikely to have been found thru searches either.

Out of interest, why the suspicions? Because of a silver car + a TRD inlet pipe?

Anonymous

Quote from: "frogger"The photobucket account used to host the above image,  m http://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/far371/ m  , is not a UK member.
And the image used does not appear in any google image search results for TRD inlets, so unlikely to have been found through searches either.

Out of interest, why the suspicions? Because of a silver car + a TRD inlet pipe?

And yet the location says Wiltshire,not the usual first post and most newbies wouldnt know what a TRD pipe is let alone how to post a pic of it.

Anonymous

not dan m he got zero interest in the forum anymore

JoniiBoii

i do think the markiii pipe is a decent bit of kit (as you guys seem pretty pleased by it) BUT i just cant justify paying 65 squid for a piece of plastic, id rather pay double and have something which can atleast show its presence even if it is vocally and not performance wise oh and give the engine bay that little bit more glamour (if thats the right wording), AM i crazy???????????

PaullyP2010

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"i do think the markiii pipe is a decent bit of kit (as you guys seem pretty pleased by it) BUT i just cant justify paying 65 squid for a piece of plastic, id rather pay double and have something which can atleast show its presence even if it is vocally and not performance wise oh and give the engine bay that little bit more glamour (if thats the right wording), AM i crazy???????????

It's not plastic!

Lots of people on here have had good results with the Markii pipe, the clues are there  s:D :D s:D  

Cheers,,
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

Anonymous

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"i do think the markiii pipe is a decent bit of kit (as you guys seem pretty pleased by it) BUT i just cant justify paying 65 squid for a piece of plastic, id rather pay double and have something which can atleast show its presence even if it is vocally and not performance wise oh and give the engine bay that little bit more glamour (if thats the right wording), AM i crazy???????????

It's a quality bit of kit made of stainless steel and there are polished versions out there,I can vouch that this gives a great throaty growl to the engine and if you add an after market exhaust the sound is awesome.

l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28403 l

£55 one here,£45 if picked up:   l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=34501 l

JoniiBoii

ive given him a MESSAGE  but im sure its gone already, cheers for the link BTW.

Would it be a good idea to change the panel filter to something a little more upmarket then?

Tags: