Good panel air filters?

Started by JoniiBoii, July 27, 2011, 16:37

JoniiBoii

not heard anything back, looks like im going to have to re think it again LOL.

Apexi ? Or AEM?

Anonymous

Hi - I've spent most of my time on Spyderchat, as I live in the US, but am a Brit and like to see what people are doing with MR2s in Blighty   s:D :D s:D

The pics are not mine - they are taken from Spyderchat. I merely wanted to make a correction - that the markiii pipe is not the same as the TRD product.

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "frogger"And yet the location says Wiltshire,not the usual first post and most newbies wouldnt know what a TRD pipe is let alone how to post a pic of it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ferrino"Hi - I've spent most of my time on Spyderchat, as I live in the US, but am a Brit and like to see what people are doing with MR2s in Blighty   s:D :D s:D

The pics are not mine - they are taken from Spyderchat. I merely wanted to make a correction - that the markiii pipe is not the same as the TRD product.

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "frogger"And yet the location says Wiltshire,not the usual first post and most newbies wouldnt know what a TRD pipe is let alone how to post a pic of it.

That's why I said it was "based on" rather than "the same as" a bit like some films are based on novels.  s:D :D s:D

JoniiBoii

i have just invested in a mark iii pipe  s:) :) s:)  Took all your advice, shall post back when i have fitted it, + recieved it, But now im stumped for what panel filter i should use?

K&N?
Blitz?
And do HKS do a panel filter?
OR is stock best?

frogger

Your anwsers are already contained within this thread  s:) :) s:)
Re-read and thou shall find.

JoniiBoii

least your awake frogger, im not LOL think im going to go for the non oiled panels (or try and stay clear of them) as people have generally spoken about the MAF....needing cleaning more frequently ... perhaps the blitz or BCM ... but can anyone vouch for the green replacements?

m http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/15 ... 50279.html m

JoniiBoii

ok guys im getting the Blitz panel filter... is this the cheapest place to guy them ...

m http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/35 ... 59500.html m

As i canny find them on ebay or anything...? any help would be sweet as i want to order it today  s:D :D s:D

frogger

Why? It will make no difference. Could burn the cash or put it in a charity box instead   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:   lol

If you want a new filter for maintenance purposes, get a Toyota one.
If you want a better noise, get a cone filter / induction kit type set up.
If you want a performance upgrade, look elsewhere - you wont find it in a panel filter on your engine.

JoniiBoii

but i thought with me getting the mark iii pipe this would contribute to improving the air flow even more?

frogger

markiii pipe will change the delivery characteristic.

The pipe doesn't remove a 'restriction' as stated in a post in this thread, but the change in profile will modify power delivery characteristics.

Imagine a dyno plot of torque / power across the rev range - the markiii pipe will change these curves so that they are different in their shape, peak at different point, etc... (but not higher peak values).

The stock pipe does not restrict power. The stock filter does not restrict power.

JoniiBoii

ahhhh ... makes more sense to me now, so changing the filter to a different kind i.e. blitz or K&N will have no difference in performance , just simply the novilty of saying you have so and so?

CORRECT?

Cos this month im a tight budget so im greatful for the heads up if this is correct  s:) :) s:)

FGrob

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"ahhhh ... makes more sense to me now, so changing the filter to a different kind i.e. blitz or K&N will have no difference in performance , just simply the novilty of saying you have so and so?

CORRECT?

Cos this month I'm a tight budget so I'm greatful for the heads up if this is correct  s:) :) s:)
Good god man, just make your mind up will you, I've had a K&N for 5 years now, the same filter, I just clean it and that's it, I don't have to replace it like a standard one and I'm pushing out 170 BHP which just goes to show you don't need to pay out £200 + for some fancy airfilter that just makes a noise.

As for the Markiii pipe not making any difference - bullshit, you have a necking down in the stanadard pipe which restricts flow which affects performance, why do you think TRD did the mod in the first place, plus it was fitted on the VM180.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

frogger

Quote from: "FGrob"As for the Markiii pipe not making any difference - bullshit, you have a necking down in the stanadard pipe which restricts flow which affects performance, why do you think TRD did the mod in the first place, plus it was fitted on the VM180.

Whoa there - you're the one spouting BS with that post.

Where did I say it makes no difference?? At least read my post properly if you're going to respond with words that should be picked up by the swear filter   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I said the necking does not restrict peak power, I concur it could be seen to be restricting 'performance'.
The removal of the necking down modifies the power / torque curves away from fuel economy and towards performance.

My point being - johnboi, that you have already modified the air intake as much as you are going to achieve with the markiii pipe- and changing the panel filter will not gain you peak power OR change the delivery characteristics, so my recommendation is a stock filter.

We are going in circles with this thread - so to repeat myself - go for the aftermarket reusables for the reusable properties if you wish, personally I've never been arsed to wash and dry a filter, but thats just me. Read this thread if you need more info:  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34420 l    s:D :D s:D

FGrob

You see, there you go, did i direct my comment at you - no, but I will respond, all you have done is confused an already confused situation, the Markiii pipe has been around for some time and works very well, as for the panel filter that's your own choice, I've had enough experience with this car to understand what does and does not work, I'm not sure what modifications you have done to your car, maybe you can explain how you have come to your conclusion.

As for the swear filter who gives a flying  sfuck fuck sfuck .
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

Can someone please point me to the dyno plots for stock piping vs. markii pipe? Thanks.

FGrob

Quote from: "Ferrino"Can someone please point me to the dyno plots for stock piping vs. markii pipe? Thanks.
Not really, a lot of the dyno's on here are basd on several mods which are used in combination to achieve a better figure, all you need to do is look at a standard pipe and you soon realise what the restriction is. If you search around I'm sure there is a photo on here of a standard pipe.

JoniiBoii

opp's sorry to have caused a dispute, i shall just get a standard one and save the pennies for else where , where improvements shall be notice-able...

cheers for ALL your help guys !!  s:) :) s:)

nathanMR2

There have been back to back tests which have been carried out with different panel filters in the 2 and there was said to be no difference.

This said toyotas own turbo (TTE turbo) which runs with the stock box recommends a TTE pannel filter (the same as a BMC panel filter) which coming from TTE i feels adds weight to the agruement.

I think its personal preference to be honest. Either way I don't think your going to find a massive difference and I believe a lot will depend on the conditions the car is running in.

I really rated the PPE cold air intake I had which had an Apexi filter in it over the Markiii pipe and uprated panel filter but your talkin about spending far more money than buying a uprated panel filter alone.

I run a BMC panel filter as recommended by toyota with my setup and have found it fine. Personally I would rather have something which might be making a bit of a difference than nothing at all but that's probably mostly psychological
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JoniiBoii

There we go guys, just a nice fresh panel filter! Will consider an aftermarket one when ive had the time to install the mark iii pipe.....

trickyD

Quote from: "frogger"Imagine a dyno plot of torque / power across the rev range - the markiii pipe will change these curves so that they are different in their shape, peak at different point, etc... (but not higher peak values).

The stock pipe does not restrict power. The stock filter does not restrict power.

What about restricting airflow?
Just because the stock filter is used on the 190bhp variant, it doesn't mean you won't get a tiny Hp increase from a free flow air filter. It may also improve throttle response and sound, both of which might be desirable to the OP.

There is also talk of panel filter dyno plots which only show "negligible" increases, but no actual figures. I think we all realise a panel filter is only going to give 2-5Hp at best. But 2Hp is not the same as zero!
I guess I just don't see how a whole section of the modification industry can be wiped away as "a waste of money" without anything more than opinion....

Just my 2p.

Show me the dyno and I'll concede
 s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: