Whistling sound when i drive over 60mph with roof down,

Started by nevaeh, July 29, 2011, 11:34

nevaeh

Hi
Does anyone know what this could be?  It's a little whistling sound when i have the roof down and drive over 60mph.  Can anybody tell me what this is or how to make it stop?
Thanks

JudoKilli

I have what I think is the same. It's not loud enough to annoy or distract me, and might be much quieter than what your experiencing, but I've just put it down to normal wind noise.

nevaeh

Yeah it doesn't take away the enjoyment of driving my car but if i could make it stop then I would, Currently i find turning up the music helps  :-) :-) :-)

stargazer30

I find my sturdy JBL amp + component speakers solves all wind noise, rattles, sqeeks and T**Ts in corsas with drain pipe exhausts when driving with the roof down.  Never noticed any whistling though?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Anonymous

Stop pursing your lips and blowing air!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

nevaeh

Thanks Stargazer, that certainly made me smile, iI may have to invest in some of that!  Oh and life of brian thank you, maybe the noise happens when i put my lipstick on  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Have you got the soft top down properly with no "ears"?

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30164&hilit=ears l

Anonymous

ears and lipstick i can picture it now  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "rbuckingham"ears and lipstick i can picture it now  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

AC

Radio on or off (in other words aerial up or down)?

I fitted a cut out switch to control the aerial independent of the HU as the whistling noise was just too annoying with the roof down.

Nowadays I have a whistling noise of different variety which is worth switching the radio off for   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

Stephster

Don't think it's the ears - I have ears, but no whistling !
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

nevaeh

Ears!!!!!!
What ears?  I may be having a girlie moment so I do apologise but WHAT ears?  :-) :-) :-)

nathanMR2

If he didnt have ears how would he hear the whistling!?!?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

nathanMR2

Ok ok fun over  s:) :) s:)

When you fold the roof down the hood should tuck in nice a neat. Some (most) of our cars dont do this and it leaves 2 corners that stick up on the edge closest the engine. When putting the roof down you can manually fold these in which makes the whole think look better and puts the edges where they should be. When they stick up/out they are referred to as ears.

I would try and find a picture on here but i cant get any pictures up whilst at work. Dam you IT people!

Anonymous

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Ok ok fun over  s:) :) s:)

When you fold the roof down the hood should tuck in nice a neat. Some (most) of our cars dont do this and it leaves 2 corners that stick up on the edge closest the engine. When putting the roof down you can manually fold these in which makes the whole think look better and puts the edges where they should be. When they stick up/out they are referred to as ears.

I would try and find a picture on here but i cant get any pictures up whilst at work. Dam you IT people!

All in the link I posted 7 posts from the top.

nevaeh

Thanks Nathan, I'll try that tucking the ears in when I next get the hood down, when it stops raining in august...aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!  Thanks life of brian, looked at your link and saved info.  
I also just want to say I love it on here, everyone seems so friendly and helpful, so thank you all.

Very happy new MR2 owner   s:D :D s:D

nevaeh

It was the EARS!!! lol thanks all

E

That must be a form of tinnitus.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
glad you got it sorted.

nathanMR2

s:D :D s:D  nice easy fix that makes the car look better too  s:D :D s:D

roger

I noticed that when I changed from the thick OEM fixed aerial to a black wippy one, the noise reduced. Basically i'm sure anything caught in the wind flow will produce noise unless it has a very slippery surface.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: