What could cause fast idle?

Started by Anonymous, July 30, 2011, 09:09

Anonymous

No that's the thing, if I unplug the coils one at a time it dies on each one.

Anonymous

The fast idle is caused by the throttle cable being adjusted to make it idle fast. If there's slack the car cuts out. If I out my foot under the accelerator pedal and lift, the car cuts out. It won't idle because the throttle position sensor is faulty. That's the only code I have so replacing it should fix the idle. As for the misfire, I'm hoping it'll fox that too. I'll fit the tps then try a different maf and coils.

muffdan

Throttle position sensor doesn't do as much as you think. It's more a hint to the ECU that you're trying to accelerate or decelerate. The MAF and O2 sensors perform the bulk of the fuelling calculations. However, if the sensor is reading wide open throttle at idle, that may cause it to run rich but wouldn't explain a miss fire or the stalling when lifting the pedal. Perhaps you have a faulty idle control valve or a problem with the throttle body but again neither explains a miss fire.

What you could really do with doing is getting around to a friendly local member and spending some time swapping parts over to isolate the problem(s). I'm not near to you but I'm prepared to do it if you're down Oxford way any time soon.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Cap

If you have an TPS that you Expect is Faulty..  Pull the Wires to it..  

Run it without it..  If the ECU is getting a Steady but Wrong Sig, then it will Ignore the TPS..  By pulling the TPS, the ONLY thing that will happen, is the Car will be a 'Little Thin' on Acceleration..  The ONLY way the TPS can cause a Missfire.. is if the Sig From it is 'Irritatic' and the ECU thinks you are Tapping on the Accelerator..  then it will keep tossing fuel at it.. thinking you are quickly reving the Engine..  

I've Pulled the TPS on my USDM Spyder, and have done some Logging to prove what it does..  

Without being able to look at the Fuel trims..  I'm Thinking the Removal and Cleaning and Re-assembly.. of the Injectors is the Next Step..  

Cap

Anonymous

No the next step is an honest eBay ad and the purchase of a uk model and a diagnostic tool.

Anonymous

whats your misfire code?

Anonymous

There isn't one. Just the throttle position sensor. I've reset the ecu and driven from Scarborough to Manchester and still only one code. It was misfiring and showing no codes til we fiddled with the tps and all of a sudden the light came on with code 41 iirc.

Anonymous

not sure if it is right due to your an import but code 41 looks like it is linked to the o2 sensors connected round the wrong way. maybe that means sensor 1 to plug 2. the other thing is has someone played with the o2 wires and got the leads round the wrong way.

Anonymous

Problem solved. I've just, unexpectedly, received a cheque for £3k. I'll put this on eBay, and buy one with no faults  s:) :) s:)

Tags: