Re: The correct wire to Cut for the Aerial Mod is:

Started by MisterK, August 7, 2011, 18:10

MisterK

Brilliant.  I've been waiting for someone to be brave enough to do this on a facelift, so thanks for posting the info.  s:D :D s:D  
I'll have to see if I'm supple enough to get myself behind the unit to see the wires in situ - not getting any younger you know!  Good idea to get a second switch, though if I can't get one I'll use the window disable one as other have.
MarkK
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

MisterK

Had a great guy over today to do some wiring work on my motorcaravan, so I asked him if he could sort out my aerial for me now that I know the correct wire to cut!  He tested the black wire & proved it was the correct one.  Then cut it and fitted a rocker switch for me so I didn't have to worry about molesting the window disable switch.  I must admit I'm very pleased with the result which I think fits in very well with the factory switches.  s:D :D s:D  
I can now blast along with the roof down listening to CD's without the wind whistling through the aerial.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

MisterK

uktotty

Here you go!

MisterK

Thanks Russ - don't know what happened there!
MarkK

bigwillcv36

Quote from: "MisterK"Had a great guy over today to do some wiring work on my motorcaravan, so I asked him if he could sort out my aerial for me now that I know the correct wire to cut!  He tested the black wire & proved it was the correct one.  Then cut it and fitted a rocker switch for me so I didn't have to worry about molesting the window disable switch.  I must admit I'm very pleased with the result which I think fits in very well with the factory switches.  s:D :D s:D  
I can now blast along with the roof down listening to CD's without the wind whistling through the aerial.

Wow... That looks fantastic! I want one of those. Knowing nothing of wiring etc, how would you wire that up? Any pointers?
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

luke.27

Braver than me James!

Any chance you could take a pic of the wires behind the dash indicating which one?
Hope you and Paul are well  s:) :) s:)
2003 Black MR2 1.8 VVTi
Quad Cobra Exhaust. TTE Springs. Markiii Pipe. Alpine Double Din Stereo. J-Spec Nose Badge. Laser cut MR2 Roof Release Catch. Billet Alloy HVAC knobs. Relocated Alarm. Small Mongos. Dev\'s Keyhole Covers. MR2ROC Sunvisor plugs.

lemans

Just got my window disable switch (without the backing plate) Hoping to get this job done at the weekend.  s:D :D s:D
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

lemans

Quote from: "lemans"Just got my window disable switch (without the backing plate) Hoping to get this job done at the weekend.  s:D :D s:D

Well I would if I could find some 5amp cable....now where did I put it?
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

lemans

All done

I have now lost my coin holder  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

But I can now keep my aerial down.   s:D :D s:D  

BTW my facelift 56 plate was a blue wire not black. So it looks like it can be either colour  post facelift.

Well pleased.  Been meaning to do this little mod for ages. I wish I had done it before going to Italy when I nearly lost the aerial getting out of a very tight garage space.
Daryl

Anonymous

Installed a rocker switch with LED today like in the pic for my aerial, hardest part was getting myself in the drivers side footwell to get to the radio cables but got there in the end then out for a spin round the lakes in the lovely sunshine and aerial tucked away.

Mark.

Anonymous

Yeah black wire on the plug nearest the drivers side, it's a bit fiddly but can be done without taking the radio out

Nevadasan

Could I check that the black wire was on the connector closest to the drivers legs and was on the 3rd pin from the right on the bottom row of this connector looking at it from behind the strereo?

It was a thick black wire, similar to the main red feed wires in the same connector?

The other options are thinner blue & white wires

Thanks for the help

scottish_turbo

Yeah that is right as per the diagram in my post below

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34988

It might be handy if this was put in the reference section for future use.

Nevadasan

Just been looking at your diagram  actually! Thought it was connector C that was closest to the drivers leg? Or Have I just misunderstood

scottish_turbo

The diagram is looking at the back of the stereo so connector c will be next to the drivers leg

dtp

Just so I understand this please confirm that it's the black wire attached to pin 8 on connector C that needs to be cut??
plan to do the wiring for the mod tomorrow, have already fitted the switch (exactly as photo above) complete with wiring, which just needs connecting at the radio end now!

scottish_turbo

No it is the black wire on connector B.

scottish_turbo

Just to clarify. The stereo you have fitted to your car may only have connector A and B hence why it is the closest connector to the drivers leg.

dtp

Many thanks - can confirm that I have a 2004 Facelift with Mr T standard stereo head and 6 CD multichanger - and will definitely go for the black wire in the connector closest to the divers leg - at least that is the most accessible one!!!

Cheers. will report post "operation" and try and get some pics - although space is tight, my camera might just be good enough!

dtp

Job done!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
In between the showers I managed to connect the wiring to my switch for the aerial control mod. Not too difficult at all really - even had room to make crimp connections on both wires, was going to try soldering but didn't fancy burning myself (or any plastics) in the restricted space!
It was just as described - the black wire in the biggest connector, the one nearest the divers leg (that's on my 2004 Facelift standard Mr T stereo complete with remote 6 CD autochanger).

Many thanks for the advice and support.

Have taken a few of photos....
This is the connector

Connector out and black wire cut

Switch wires connected

All back in place and wires concealed

Dashboard view

dtp

.....and, during a drive to prove I could run round listening to CDs without the aerial mast extended, I discovered that the radio works absolutely fine with the aerial retracted, at least in reasonable signal areas, so that's a bonus!...... CD and radio with out the mast extended!:D

Steve Green

Quote from: "dtp".....and, during a drive to prove I could run round listening to CDs without the aerial mast extended, I discovered that the radio works absolutely fine with the aerial retracted, at least in reasonable signal areas, so that's a bonus!...... CD and radio with out the mast extended!:D

You could be one of the lucky ones and be in almost line of sight or a major transmitter. Like Rowridge on the IOW, it's 400 foot high and built on a 500 foot hill. (approx)
Where I live, I am between transmitters and even with a decent antenna on my car, the average radio broadcast drops out occasionally.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

dcw14mr2

So..... tomorrows job will be doing this much needed Mod!   Just hoping they used the black cable in mine   s:? :? s:?    So all i need is a rocker switch from halfrauds- which only has 2 wires and some connectors which i have in the garage.  and cut connect and mount the switch.  I hope its this easy  :-) :-) :-)     I like the idea of using the coin holder space but haven't inspected yet, Will i need a blank to drill or will a different type rocker fit straight in?
\":-(\"EX OWNER of Mr2 Roadster - 2006 - Sable - Silver Hard Top(off) - TRD Spoiler - TTE Bar - TTE Exhaust - Chrome Fuel Flap Surround - Heated Seats - Small Mongo\'s - Devs Caps - Chrome Dial Rings - Lockwood Sills -  Moved Alarm/Spare W Turned -  Switched Aerial -

Anonymous

Ive got all the switches. £15 incl pnp each. Just adapt. Perfect fit.  s:) :) s:)

Tags: