tricking my O2 Sensor

Started by Anonymous, August 9, 2011, 15:51

Anonymous

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to trick my O2 sensor. My 1ZZ has got 2 Lamda sensor. Is it possible to re-wire the ECU in such a way that the ECU is receiving inputs from 1 sensor only, this is to allow me to install a wide band sensor using 1 of the O2 sensor slots.

uktotty

pretty standard procedure as far as I know.

SteveJ

You can't just use one hole for the wideband - you will end up with the engine running one half rich and one half lean. The wideband MUST go after the collector below the pre cat chambers (and the pre cats have to be removed or a che style header fitted but again you can't use the standard O2 holes)

spit

With a wideband kit such as the Innovate, what you could do is emulate the O2 sensor you're replacing with an analogue feed from the Innovate LC1 unit to the ECU. So the ECU is still receiving two separate bank feeds.

This'll get a WB gauge up and running but it'll only be reading one of the two banks. And although your ECU will be happily thinking that it is still getting feedback from both banks, there is a possibility that the WB voltage feedback will be mismatched to the output 'curve' of the untouched NB sensor.

Pricey, but you could always fit two wideband sensors with analogue feeds and have a gauge for each bank   s:D :D s:D  

Having said all of this, the whole venture is low on benefit as there's not a lot you can gain from having a WB output to look at on a purely stock-ECU'd car. If you're just doing this for a visual output, why not go for a pair of cheap NB gauges tapped into the blue & white wires on each stock sensor. They'll essentially give you a graphic of rich/stoich/lean rather than the full WB experience.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thank you very much for the info. I was doing this as i wanted to wire a wideband sensor to eManage ultimate. BTW does anyone know the O2 sensor wire location on the ECU connector ?

spit

Ah, now then, with the addition of the EM-U you have more of a reason to do this   s:D :D s:D   Best to get the WB sensor downstream of the individual banks to get a 4-pot combined reading though. I guess you're going to put a WB analogue feed into the EM-U and make some small self-mapping adjustments? Good luck and go careful!

In relation to your question......... sorry, its easier with a picture but I've only got words   s:D :D s:D   ........

Bank 1 Sensor 1 feed to the ECU is pin 12 (middle row of plug "E4" - thats the connector immediately next to the largest of the 4).
Bank 2 Sensor 1 feed to the ECU is pin 21 of the same connector (3rd row).

The two wires sit one above the other on 2nd and 3rd rows of the connector and are black in colour. Pin 21 is the last in a group of 5 before a gap on the third row.

Both share their ground at pin 17 of the same plug - that's the pin at the corner end of the group of 5 on the 3rd row and its brown in colour. Quite a big wire as it serves as a ground for pretty much all of the '2s sensors. So, out of the three you're looking for, this is the easiest one to identify.

A good check to make sure these instructions are half decent would be to locate the brown ground and count forward and backward to identify the two feeds.

Anonymous

Thank you very much again for the info. I am looking for the ECU connector description ie what pin is for what. A diagram would be the best. So far i only manage to find some info from eManage installation manual but there are still a lot of wire that was not describe in the manual. Wonder where i can find that ?

spit

For turbo installs since the very first Hass kit, I think most of us have used a very poor quality scanned document with some scribbles on it! It originated on Spyderchat. As it doesn't appear to be protected by copyright I'll see if we can get it uploaded to the ROC Reference library.

Ste

Wabbitkilla

In the meantime;
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Thank you.

steve-m-uk

Just the info i was after also,ta muchly   s8) 8) s8)
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Tags: