Yet another knocking noise.(Sorted)

Started by Mike_V, August 10, 2011, 13:00

Mike_V

I've recently developed a knocking noise which happens when going over uneven ground, it appears to be coming from forward of the windscreen and to the offside as if it's coming from the shock absorber. I've had it jacked up and all appears to be ok visually with no oil leaks from the strut, I've also recently changed the front ARB droplinks, any ideas?
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

dcod

Don't know much about this but some questions are needed.

1) Happening since you changed the ARB droplinks?
2) How many miles and has any of the suspension been changed?
3) At what speed does the noise happen?

I have the odd clunk noise when going slow over potholes. I havn't found what it is yet. I have had the suspension checked but noone has found any problems. Currently I am 70% certain that it's worn topmount(s).

Hope you get it sorted.

Dave
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Oh, or they may be just dry topmounts. They need to be packed with grease.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Steve Green

When a car is jacked and the wheels are hanging, the loading on all the suspension parts is reversed so you may not be able to replicate a noise.

+1 from previous answers
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Mike_V

Thanks guys  :-) :-) :-)  When the weather gets better i'll strip everything down and have a look.

1) Before fitting the droplinks I was unsure where the noise was coming from so they must have been worn also but now it's clear where the noise is coming from.
2) 70000 mls and new lowering springs were fitted a few months ago so I assume that has contributed.
3) It seems to happen at slow speeds, particularly when leaving my house where you have to take it slowly.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.

FGrob

Quote from: "Mike_V"2) 70000 mls and new lowering springs were fitted a few months ago so I assume that has contributed.
Did you replace the top nut when you did this, if not there's a good chance it's come loose.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

dcod

Same miles (ish) as mine, sounds similar problem. As I said, topmounts are at the top of my list for cause ... at the moment.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to check them apart from removing the shock and topmount from the car. Checking that they are greased up is pretty easy though.

Mike_V

Quote from: "dcod"Checking that they are greased up is pretty easy though.

Can you advise on this as it may save me a lot of time? Never had issues with suspension before so this is new to me.

Mike

dcod

Quote from: "Mike_V"Can you advise on this as it may save me a lot of time? Never had issues with suspension before so this is new to me.

I'm no expert and don't know what grease to use. Do a search through the forum.

To get at them, open the bonnet, press all the buttons on the poppers and remove the plastic cover that fills the front. You should be able to see the top of the topmounts and this area should be packed with grease. When replacing the poppers, don't forget to put them back to their original unpopped state before replacing the cover (they break quite easily).

If I have this wrong, please speak up anyone. I've only ever looked at them once.

Dave

Steve Green

Mr T says MP grease, Multi Purpose.

Pretty much any Lithium grease will be fine.

If you have a fault, it ought to get repaired. Simply packing it out with grease might quieten it down, but its still there.

There should be a plastic cap above the centre of the bearing. Its under the cap that the grease goes.
2003 Facelift SMT

Mike_V

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated and at least I now have a starting point (that is when I can get near my car for the weather).

Rob. I didn't fit the springs myself but it'll be my first check.

Steve. If there's something that needs repairing then it's a given that it will be done, I don't like problems on my cars.

Mike_V

Found out it was a combination of both of the above, the top nut was loose and there was no grease on it at all, nut tightened and packed with a lithium based multi purpose grease (both sides), just been out for a drive and all noises have now gone. I think it would be worthwhile for people to check these if they have springs fitted etc by others.
Thanks guys   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Steve Green

If there is one reason for trying to do jobs yourself it will save paying someone else to do the job and then paying them to put right what they didnt do right in the first place.
I staggers me that some mechanics come up with outlandish excuses. far better to admit and resolve the issue FOC. We would be more inclined to return.

Congrats on sorting the issue.
2003 Facelift SMT

Tags: