Clutch Replacement

Started by DAZ400, April 11, 2004, 20:17

DAZ400

Anyone had a clutch replacement ?

How long does it take ?

What was the cost for fitting ?

I seem to have broken mine..........   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Tem

Well...I got the TRD clutch...but it was done while I got the new engine, so can't really answer the rest  s:? :? s:?

Btw, it would be a great time to get a lighter flywheel, while you're at it...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

Cue mph - he had the same problem shortly after going turbo (IIRC 2 days before JAE), and went the whole hog changing the flywheel and the clutch. There was a bit of a delay as he didn't get the bolts for the flywheel, and had to wait whilst the dealer ordered them.

Don't forget you have the added complication of the SMT to contend with (as did mph) - that will add at least 2 hours on to the time required.

Don't even think about re-fitting a standard clutch plate - it won't last long. TTE are suggesting the Corolla T-Sport clutch be fitted when the standard one gives up the ghost after going turbo.

DAZ400

I was thinking of the ACT clutch as Ian has one if I can get the car done before I go away.

heathstimpson

It would definately be worth taking the extra pain and adding a lighter flywheel Darren while you're at it. You soon burnt that out then eh  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mph

Hope you've got those pennies saved up   s:( :( s:(  

Fitting a new clutch means dismantelling the SMT hydraulics - which effectively means it's a dealer only job. I believe the book time is eight hours. With my intercooler assembly in the way, they had to disassemble that too. They ended up charging me for ten hours labour, while it actually took them thirteen hours to do   s:!: :!: s:!:  

Depending on how nervious you get, you either want or don't want to be around for the SMT relearn procedure... involves chocking the wheels putting it in 2nd and flooring it, hoping the chocks stop your lovely car from moving, and waiting for the SMT to decide where the clutch is.

While you've got the clutch out, it's no extra time to change the flywheel - and a lightweight flywheel is really nice! Don't forget that the flywheel bolts are not reusable, cost about £2 each and there's eight of them! To give you an idea, (on some rather inaccurate scales I might add) the stock flywheel is just over 8Kg, my lightweight one is just over 4Kg.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I got my kit from PPE Engineering, though all these uprated kits are probably all much of a muchness. Don't forget the important part is the uprated pressure plate rather than the clutch plate itself.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"Fitting a new clutch means dismantelling the SMT hydraulics - which effectively means it's a dealer only job. I believe the book time is eight hours. With my intercooler assembly in the way, they had to disassemble that too. They ended up charging me for ten hours labour, while it actually took them thirteen hours to do   s:!: :!: s:!:  

Yikes! And I thought manhandling the 'box off the 300 was hard - at least all I had to contend with was a ridiculously heavy object and a prop shaft that didn't want to budge  s:) :) s:)

Darren - just looking at the PPE site, I notice they do RPS clutches & flywheels. I put an RPS clutch set & billet alu flywheel on the 300, and I can highly recommend their kit - the billet flywheel is a work of art, almost seemed a shame to cover it up in the gearbox  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:) :) s:)

Also, FWIW as it was on a different car, I went with the RPS after a lot of research into the (mostly Japanese) clutches available, and the RPS was the only one that had no problems in use - mainly because the guy behind RPS is very interested in user feedback and constantly updating his products.

Anyway... good luck  s:) :) s:)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

DAZ400

Thanks Guys, what  is upsetting is the SMT in principle and to drive is great but the complexity, nightmare of repair and setup is not good.

I am also suspicious Perry and Ian have stock clutches and both cars are fine I wonder if really rather than replacing the clutch it neads the SMT to be re learn't.

I have seen a disabled persons auto clutch conversion for a manual and there is no where near the same amount of bits needed however you did have to press a button on the gear knob as you changed gears.

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tem

Quote from: "mph"lightweight flywheel is really nice!

What he said!  s8) 8) s8)

I didn't realize you had an SMT...that's not supposed to burn the clutch out, is it..? Just wondering, if there's something wrong with it...might be a warranty issue..?

DAZ400

Clutch still works just slips when I start boosting.

SteveJ

Quote from: "DAZ400"Clutch still works just slips when I start boosting.

That's definately a worn clutch plate - the SMT will not release the throttle until it has FULLY released the clutch. Martin had exactly the same problem and (touch wood) the heavy duty clutch has cured the problem.

Tem

Quote from: "DAZ400"Clutch still works just slips when I start boosting.

Oops...forgot you got the turbokit...I guess you can forget the idea about warranty then  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

DAZ400

Ordered my RPS clutch and Fidanza flywheel from MRW on tuesday at 4pm and it all arrived this morning at 11 am superb fast service.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: