Heat wrap (Manifold/Exhaust) - opinions??

Started by andywood, August 19, 2011, 00:09

andywood

I saw Jasons manifold and CAT all nicely wrapped at the weekend and it reminded me that I had been toying with that idea for a while.
Seems to be many conflicting arguments from the joys of lower engine bay temps (on the positive side) to the risk of cracking manifolds or creating super-heat spots on areas that may be slightly exposed. My original consideration of doing it was to purely keep down engine bay temps after the addition of the turbo, never considered it a 'need' item with my set-up, so maybe there is more to risk by doing it than not.........

What is the experience on here (positive or negative) of heat-wrapping???

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Steve Green

On loads of different cars, I have only ended up with exhaust wrapping where there was a local heat issue. I did wrap a couple of manifolds only for them to crack.
With the compact setup on an MR2 with the complete exhaust system close to the engine, surely you would only move the heat from the manifold to the cat and on to the exhaust.

I can see what you are thinking, getting the coldest air you can into the tubby but finding some way of ducting outside air in, has got to be better than from the engine compartment, has got to be the best idea,
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: