Help please - frunk won't shut

Started by Stephster, August 20, 2011, 20:02

Stephster

So she is back and looking gorgeous after a 14 hours pamper session, which included a full valet, a stripd down clean, full machine polished, touch ups, diamon sealed, roof reconditioning, engine bay and frunk clean, etc. Turns out the rust on the sills was because someone in the past had jacked her up on none jacking points.

ANYWAY, the frunk will no longer shut completely. So currently it's tied down with cable ties so I could drive her home.

Advice on a fix please, I want to be able to go out and show her off !!!
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Mike_V

Obviously the frunk closed before but how was it cleaned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Stephster

This is the thing, we got to our friend's and I was showing him how various things opened on the 2, it is at this point the frunk would not shut again, before the clean. We have tried WD40 but to no avail.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

Ilogik

its really simple  s:P :P s:P  Push the lever back in, sometimes it stays stuck in open position so it wont shut. Easy  s:) :) s:)
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Treboeth

Steph

post up some pics to show why and where it wont shut, this will make it easier for someone to help/ see the problem  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

AmeR

The frunk as in bonnet or as in plastic lid?

Pics would probably help!

Mike_V

Steph. Lets start with the simple things, when you press the Bonney down does it bounce back up, if yes can you check that the catch is greased, try pulling the release handle with the bonnet up and get someone to see if there's any movement I'n the catch mechanism.

EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.

Stephster

Frunk as in bonnet. Yes, it bounces up, no movement in mechanism when release handle is pulled. Lever can be pushed back in. There is no tension on the  release handle when you pull it.When pushed down the catch goes down all the way, but just doesn't get caught by anything.

Anonymous

Sounds like the latch isnt latching. Either the return spring has broken, or the cable is sticking through friction/other fault. Also it may not be "cocked", it thinks its already closed.
1. Push the handle in the glove box in. Try closing bonnet.
2. Pull the hanble in the glove box out. Try closing bonnet.

Stephster

Thanks D1ck just tried that. I am now handing over to the man of the house to describe further :

Suggestions 1 & 2 return with no success, but a few observations:-
1.  When glove box handle is "in" the lever is still a few mm proud, holding this to full in position and repeating has same result.
2.  holding the cable at the bonnet whilst the lever is being worked reveals some movement inside, so suspicion of broken cable seems unlikely (also I would expect the problem would then be being unable to open or not to be able to move the catch fully)
3. glovebox lever seems very easy to move, cannot recall how much force was required prior
4.  I am unsure of the mechanism used to hold the latch shut but is it possible that when released there could be something preventing return or if your suspicion of the return spring is correct would this exhibit this behaviour too?

Tempted to remove the mechanism (cable still attached) just to see if anything can be seen during operation.

Back to the good lady owner

Anonymous

Have a brandy and a good nights kip. Fresh look in the a.m.

Mike_V

Maybe a stupid suggestion but is everything I'n the mechanism well greased?

Stephster

Mike - the actual latch is well greased and moves freely and fully with a screwdriver.
D1ck - I think we will do exactly that, seeing as 'im indoors looks rather daft with his headtorch on and it's been a long day. Brandy is a very good idea !

Mike_V

Agreed  :-) :-) :-)

Steve Green

Quote from: "dick2ski"Have a brandy and a good nights kip. Fresh look in the a.m.

Best suggestion I have heard all night!
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

In fresh light, the latch is fixed to the crossmember with two bolts in oval holes to allow some adjustment. If the latch has slipped down in the holes it will be too low to grab the latch pin on the bonnet.
Get hold of the latch and see if you can pull it up vertically. If yes, Hurray! Put it back to its original position (see mucky marks where it slipped from.) If no, Boo!

Stephster

Thanks, tried it, not working. Think I will need to book it in to see Mr T  s:( :( s:( .

Toplesscouple

Mr T will be expensive and they more than likely won't have much more of a clue than any other independent garage or even a bodyshop.

You could bring it down here and we could compare the two mechanisms.

Stephster

Thanks Pete/Lissa - but I am not sure whether the cable ties would hold up to the trip, and I don't want to end up wearing the bonnet.
Will get onto an independent on Monday and see what they say - you are right, Mr T will probably charge an arm and a leg. Would have loved to have shown you her in her new state though, to say she is sparkling would be understating it !

Anonymous

When you thoroughly cleaned the frunk area you never disturbed the rubber stops that limit the bonnet closing?

The rubber plug in the middle of the picture....

FGrob

Quote from: "Les"When you thoroughly cleaned the frunk area you never disturbed the rubber stops that limit the bonnet closing?

The rubber plug in the middle of the picture...
There's also the ones lower down - on the lower member, which if they have been screwed outwards will stop the bonnet from closing, here's a little pic for you:  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Excuse the bra I don't normally let people see her underneath   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Stephster

Thanks for the pics ! Checked both sets, nothing seems to be out of order.
To take my mind off the beautiful weather and not being able to take the 2 out, I have been baking instead, banana cake with chocolate frosting and plum streusel, so if anyone is in the area !
Also, after admiring his car, the neighbour's daughter's bf has offered to let me have a drive in his Honda S2000 later  s:) :) s:) .
Think I will be having to get onto a garage tomorrow to get it fixed..  s:( :( s:( .

Anonymous

Id love to know whats causing this. Please let us know.

I also love Bienenstich. A simple cake, but delicious.

Stephster

Bienenstich - yum !

When I find out what is causing it, I shall post it on this thread.

Just been for that drive in the Honda S2000 - scary. Gorgeous car, but I think the 2 is more "me".

Toplesscouple

If you have no luck this week, Steph, then we'll pop over next weekend and compare frunks   s:) :) s:)

Tags: