Help please - frunk won't shut

Started by Stephster, August 20, 2011, 20:02

Stephster

Thanks Toplesscouple - much appreciated  s:) :) s:) . There would be cake....
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Stephster

As requested (finally) a pic - I have even joined a photo hosting site so that I could upload it !
First time I have tried adding a pic, so not sure if this will work !
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

FGrob

It didn't
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

DannyN

Quote from: "Stephster"As requested (finally) a pic - I have even joined a photo hosting site so that I could upload it !

First time I have tried adding a pic, so not sure if this will work !

Not sure what you got wrong with the picture tho
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Stephster

Think it's working now at second attempt.

Anonymous

Is that the pic or the latch?  s:) :) s:)

Stephster

If only D1ck if only......   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

I cant see anything obviously wrong with it, but D!ck does mean "thick" in German.

Stephster

This is true ! But to be honest, even with all the poking about we can't see anything obvious - so we must all be "d1ck".

Anonymous

Im still convinced its dropped. Somehow the latch accidentally gets triggered shut. Someone drops the hood but because the latch is closed, the latch pin acts like a hammer and bashes the latch out of adjustment.
The next person who pulls the lever in the glovebox opens the latch and hides the evidence, Doctor Watson.  s:) :) s:)  
The latch is now too low to catch the pin, or the pin is bent as its not designed to be a hammer.

Or Im talking horse!

Stephster

Just had a thought - should I call my breakdown service ?

FGrob

Quote from: "Stephster"Just had a thought - should I call my breakdown service ?
If you've got home start you could, or take it to Tesco and call them from there, you can get your shopping done at the same time while you wait.  s:!: :!: s:!:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Stephster

Or the gym tomorrow afternoon !

Anonymous

will check with my latch in the morning but how it looks (using my phone) that latch is in the locked shut position and would say the cable come off or broke. but the big pin bit ment to be out the way. but as said i will double check.

FGrob

Here you go, some pics of what mine looks like:

From the front

From the top

From the back.

Can you see the spring in the lower workings of the catch, also can you push the catch over by hand, the green looking part of catch that is in the last photo - it shows it better. As for my pull handle, once the bonnet has been open it returns to the full closed postion with out pushing it.

Hope this helps a little - on holiday this week so managed to have a look between jobs   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

Rob

Stephster

Many thanks Rob - if only my catch looked like yours.

I called out breakdown service in the end ( forgotten I had it until last night). He took of the plastic bit of the frunk, noting that lots of clips were missing, then loosened the bumper, and took out the whole mechanism . The whole thing is basically rusted to bits and had lots of grease/dirt in it, and the weathershield was just resting on the inner workings as they were so corroded it was no longer being held in place.  The little spring that connects the cable to the inner mechanism had sheared.

So, he fashioned a bit of the spring to connect back to the cable and then reassembled my car. It's working fine now, but he says with the state of the mechanism and the jerry fix it will happen again and has suggested replacement mechanism.

I went down to see Mr T, who quoted 39.50 & VAT for the mechanism, plus an hour labour. Fair enough I thought until he told me that would be £153 !!!!

Steve Green

I have often looked at exposed mechanisms like this and thought that the minimum lubrication was the key. A combination of road dirt weather and grease combine to make a product destined to cause failures. A quick spray of silicon grease every six months whilst operating the mechanism works wonders. A pile of grease covering problems is a waste of effort.
Pleased you are getting it sorted. Its installation is not beyond the home mechanic, give it a go, you wont brake anything. You will be so proud and will save spending hard earned cash.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

uktotty

I am sure D1Ck will have that Steph, just get a nice man to fit it in exchange for tea and a wink

Stephster

I'd throw in cake too.....

FGrob

Glad it's sorted for you, the actual part's not big money, but that fitting charge   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  It's a pity your not a little closer  I would have fitted one for you.

I just spray mine with WD40 - give is a good blasting to wash the crap out then wipe it - that's all I've done since I've had the car, I also find the bra seals the bumper to bonnet so no water / crap can get in any way.

Rob.

Anonymous

Ive got a latch here, bit oxidised, but full working order. £12.50 incl pnp und mervertsteuer! I can pop it in the post in the morning. Glad to know the mystery is solved.
Ill pop some frunk pins in the pack so you can refix yours.
Just PM if you need it.

Stephster

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions and the pics.   s:D :D s:D  

Vielen Dank to D1ckski for his generous offer - have pm'ed you.

Tags: