Improve Handling/Stiffen The Ride

Started by Anonymous, April 13, 2004, 13:54

Anonymous

<admin> split from buying/selling post </admin>

I want to stiffen up the ride on the car and improve general handling and cornering.  I was interested in the anti-flex plate or front member brace, both of which sound very effective.  How do the lowering springs compare to these mods?  Or is it mostly aesthetics?

Cheers

Mike.

Anonymous

I'm speculating a little here, but I'd guess lowering springs have two effects:

1) Lower the centre of gravity
2) Reducing roll, and so makeing turn in more direct/quick.

Both are beneficial, both with improve the handling, an anti-flex plate and extra bracing will have different positive effects, which are beneficial also.

Anonymous

Ive just had the antiflex plate fitted to mine and it stiffens up the car in fast corners nicely. the car just feels more grippy and solid. well worth the money.

Anonymous

Go for the antiflex to start. It is going to be my next "mod" (I don't like using that word when it comes to my car!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ). ANY reduction of flex in the body (and the 2 has more than people would like to admit) is going to improve handling cos the wheel control by the suspension is always going to be that little bit better.
The lowering springs should have an effect, but I think the felx plate will show more imporvement first out..........

You could always get the member braces too..............unless you already have post '03........

Slacey

I fitted the springs after the Antiflex plate, so the benefits will be slightly different if you don't have one, but as Phil said, now the centre of gravity is lower and the stiffer springs cancel a fair bit of roll, cornering ability has increased somewhat - it's very confidence inspiring, and I'm taking corners at 5-10mph more now than before and the car feels rock-solid.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

As a rule of thumb, chassis and suspension designers will always strive to get the chassis as stiff as possible before they finalise any suspension settings. This is simply because a suspension system works an awful lot better if it has control of all the movement and the chassis its bolted to isnt flexing as well. By reducing chassis flex, you are giving the suspension units a more stable platform to work with. The Member Braces are very good for this, so good in fact that they added them (albeit in a slightly cheaper guise than the TRD units) to the 2003 cars as standard. A front strut top bar is also good, as it complements the one you already have on the rear of the car, and adding an antiflex brace works wonders.

Once these are in place, you can rest assured that you will be getting the most from any upgrades you make to the suspension itself.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

mph

An anti-flex plate is the cheapest and easiest option to take. That's not to say to say it's not as beneficial as the others, thereby making it the most cost effective of the bunch.

If you have any concerns over warranty, next up would be a front strut bar - note this is different from front bracing. Fitting one of these does require cutting the front cover plastic under the bonnet. You also have to loose the front bin lid, but IMO that's absolutely no lose whatsoever.

Springs also have their cosmetic enhancement as an added bonus to consider as part of their value-for-money equation.

As Grant points out, for pure performance choices, best to correct deficiencies in the chassis before tackling the suspension.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

i can recomend the front strut brace, it changes the handling like you wouldn't believe.
dont know about the chassis plate as i am waiting for mine to be delivered
and the springs are on my to do list but gotta makes sure the 17" dont rub first.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "mph"An anti-flex plate is the cheapest and easiest option to take. That's not to say to say it's not as beneficial as the others, thereby making it the most cost effective of the bunch.

You'd be surprised!

The Cusco Front member brace is as little as £60 from some places (+P&P of course)

Tags: