First Problem - Engine Warning Light

Started by skirmish, September 8, 2011, 16:26

skirmish

Well we thought everything was going fine. Until this afternoon when I noticed the Engine Warning Light was on. Everything else seems fine though and the engine feels as though everything is okay. This is the point I wonder about the wisdom of having a 10 year old toy where I suppose things like this are going to happen now and then.

So, can anyone advise what I should do and what could possibly be causing this warning light to come on?
I suspect I'll be advised to get a Fault Code Reader?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Dave
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

AmeR

Quote from: "skirmish"I suspect I'll be advised to get a Fault Code Reader?

Got it in one... Kind of! You don't need to buy one necessarily as I'm sure a local member with a reader will read it for you.

It will need reading though and, if it's still running fine, could just be the post-cat O2 sensor

Stephster

Mine came on a couple of months after first acquiring my 10 year old toy. Luckily I was on my way to a meet and Toplesscouple had a reader with them. Turned out to be the pesly 02 sensor. I subsequently bought my own reader off ebay for £20 - well worth buying, as I do believe another member recently got charged £69 by Mr T for reading the light. Have a look though there should be someone on the OBDII list near you.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

skirmish

I don't think there are any members in my area and what with the price of fuel these days it's probably just as cheap to buy one off ebay.

Where actually is the connector that I'd connect a reader to? I've looked under the engine cover and couldn't see anything obvious.
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

skirmish

Quote from: "Stephster"Mine came on a couple of months after first acquiring my 10 year old toy. Luckily I was on my way to a meet and Toplesscouple had a reader with them. Turned out to be the pesly 02 sensor. I subsequently bought my own reader off ebay for £20 - well worth buying, as I do believe another member recently got charged £69 by Mr T for reading the light. Have a look though there should be someone on the OBDII list near you.
Ah. ODBII list. Didn't know there was such a thing but I'll certainly have a look now. Thanks for that.
Dave
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Anonymous

Where exactly are you bud?

skirmish

Over in Huddersfield.

Just one thing. Is it still okay to use the car if as we suspect it's an o2 sensor.
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Stephster

Yup. I have been driving with mine on for a good few months now. I have the replacement sensor ( £65 instead of £120 through a club member ), but have just not got round to swapping it out. Hence the reader, so I can keep an eye on the EML in case something new crops up.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

skirmish

Blimey, is that how much they cost?

Where is the connection point for the reader to attach to?
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Stephster

It's sort of on the underneath of the steering column......

Here is the link for thread of members with OBD readers :  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16017 l

Oh, and someone posted this week that Mr T had charged £280 for getting the sensor changed. Seems to be a very common fault, as my car has almost 140k on the clock, and had to have the post cat O2 sensor replaced at 44k and 81k.

skirmish

Thanks for that although I'd managed to find the OBD list.

Is the sensor likely to be one of those that I can see under the engine cover, there are two pointing outwards. I wouldn't dream of going to Toyota to get that done. Presumably once the reader has found the code I'll know which on it is? I suppose if I plan to keep the car then it makes sense to have my own reader, it's not as though they're expensive and I'm sure it could be useful for other cars that I have in the future too.
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

mrzwei

OBD11 became a legal requirement on all cars (supplied to the EU at least) from 1999 or maybe 2000 or 2001 (can't remember) so your code reader will be future proof for a bit. It was resisted by the 'big boys' for obvious reasons but my reader correctly identified a faulty cam position sensor on a Z3. (The dealer said it needed special equipment   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

If you're in Huddersfield, I'm not a million miles away and I'll read your code for you.

skirmish

Quote from: "Ron jeremy"If you're in Huddersfield, I'm not a million miles away and I'll read your code for you.
That's very kind of you to offer. I am rather at the other side of Huddersfield (36 miles from you) so it would be a bit of a journey, plus the expense, probably 2 gallons of fuel. I'm probably better off buying my own reader and at least I'll then have it for future use as well.

Am I right in thinking that one of these would do the job?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-OBD2-CAN ... 027wt_1140 m
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Anonymous

That's the one I've got  s:) :) s:)

Stephster

And the one I have too, from the same seller  s:) :) s:) .

skirmish

Looks like he's going to get another order!

It's not been a good day. This and also the kitchen tap that I spent 7 hours (don't ask) replacing last week is leaking!

Are the o2 sensors common to other Toyotas or just MR2's. There seem to be a lot on ebay, are any of those suitable?
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Anonymous

Sparkplugs.co.uk

£56 ish for a genuine one. Don't buy q cheap one, they're not brilliant.

skirmish

That's not too bad a price. I'll get a reader bought and see what it shows up.
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Anonymous

Ive got some O2 sensors, £25 each incl pnp, any good?

skirmish

Well at this stage I'm still not sure about the problem. Hopefully the code reader will shine some light on it. I like the price though so will definitely bear the offer in mind.
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

Steve Green

I would snatch D!cks hand off at that price. Even if you dont need them, someone will be out to save a buck and you could sell them on.

I come from a breed that says 'get a problem sorted'. You might know what the problem is, but once the light is on, it masks any other faults that may be of greater importance.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

skirmish

My U48 Reader arrived this morning and I've just now had chance to put it through it's paces.

The code it produced was P0125 and that seems to suggest - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for closed Loop Fuel Control

Now I've just checked through another thread and in that it suggested checking a fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay. I did that and it seemed to be okay.
I then noticed that the Coolant Level seemed rather on the high side. Indeed it was as I've removed just under half a pint of nice red coolant using a decent size syringe and a few sucking actions!

I haven't had the car long and this coolant level must have been like this for a while.

So, do you think this has anything to do with this particular problem and do you think I may have cured it? Obviously I'll only know for sure by doing a reset and seeing if it comes back on again.

I'd appreciate your thoughts though.
Dave
The sun is out
The sky is blue
It\'s time to drive
The MR2

dcod

My coolant level is way above max. No problems.

Remember, if the engine is hot, the coolant will have expanded and be above max anyway.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Oh, I found this written in a Lexus forum:

"You do NOT have a coolant problem. The po125 is a original obd2 code and is very misleading but was never change. The code should read <PO125 Insufficient Temperature For Closed Loop Operation. Your problem is going to be in you O2 heaters (frt bank)."

and this

You need someone who knows to confirm this info though.

Good luck.
  s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Tags: