2zz Compression Test Results

Started by dcod, September 11, 2011, 12:25

dcod

Hi,

I've had an engine compression test done of my car and pretty pleased with the results. However, I would like to know possible reasons for a mismatch between the cylinders (in fact, close to the limit).

Results:
Cyclinder 1 - 201 psi
Cyclinder 2 - 202 psi
Cyclinder 3 - 215 psi
Cyclinder 4 - 215 psi

Toyota figures:
Compression pressure:
1ZZ-FE 1,500 kPa (15.3 kgf/cm2, 218 psi)
2ZZ-GE 1,400 kPa (14.3 kgf/cm2, 203 psi) or more
Minimum pressure:
1ZZ-FE 1,000 kPa (10.2 kgf/cm2, 145 psi)
2ZZ-GE 1,000 kPa (10.2 kgf/cm2, 145 psi)
Difference between each cylinder:
1ZZ-FE 100 kPa (1.0 kgf/cm2, 15 psi) or less
2ZZ-GE 110 kPa (1.1 kgf/cm2, 16 psi) or less

Anyone got ideas? Is it something to worry about?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

FYI: If anyone wants to know how to do their own compression test, here's a good link:
 m http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227280 m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

muffdan

I wouldn't be worrying with those figures. Too many possible reasons for the difference between cylinders to be speculating. Take piece of mind that its within spec and enjoy the car!  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

It started cooling down?  Results look good, not much variation between each cylinder. When I first had the engine fitted I had a compression test done to check it out, results were 200, 205, 205,210

When the thermostat broke, it was then tested once again and i think results came back at 210 all round, can't find the paper work for that, somewhre in the huge stack of tree's i have for the car.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

dcod

Quote from: "muffdan"I wouldn't be worrying with those figures. Too many possible reasons for the difference between cylinders to be speculating. Take piece of mind that its within spec and enjoy the car!  s:) :) s:)

Just what I wanted to hear. I've searched the interweb and come across so many conflicting views. I've seen people saying many different things are 'on their way out' and I've seen values ranging from 180 to 240. I think many of these readings have been done by the owners and I wouldn't trust the results. I had mine done by a gararge that I rate very highly.

Thanks for the reply.   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Quote from: "Ilogik"It started cooling down?  Results look good, not much variation between each cylinder. When I first had the engine fitted I had a compression test done to check it out, results were 200, 205, 205,210

When the thermostat broke, it was then tested once again and i think results came back at 210 all round, can't find the paper work for that, somewhre in the huge stack of tree's i have for the car.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Strange that mine has just been fitted (6 months ago) aswell. I feel my car runs hot though (not by temperature guage but by thinking that I can fry eggs on the boot!). Could it be caused by an air lock in the coolant channels? Was your system was drained and refilled when replacing the thermostat?

dcod

Quote from: "Ilogik"somewhre in the huge stack of tree's i have for the car.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I've got a small rainforest sized box of paperwork   s:D :D s:D

normanh

Figures look pretty good and all with a 10% band which is the rule of thumb guide.

norman

dcod

Quote from: "normanh"Figures look pretty good and all with a 10% band which is the rule of thumb guide.

Yeah, I've heard about the 10% guide. That would allow a difference of at least 20psi. On that, they look pretty decent figures.  s:) :) s:)

Ilogik

When I had the thermostat done I had all the coolant replaced a the system Bled.

As for getting hot glad I am not the only one who thinks it get super hot under the boot lid. Looking at the celica;s and corolla,s they all have vented hoods/scoops possibly for this exact reason. The mr2 slots arent very good, especially with the rain tray in place, i had considered fitting some engine bay fans and getting the manifold thermo wrapped, but reading up on having manifold wrapped seemed like it could cause other issues like trapping water and heat.

What intake are you using? and what size intake tube?

dcod

I'd have to look at my paperwork to see the details (came as part of the Rogue conversion) but this is what it looks like :

Ilogik

Is that a little rocket manifold? mines quite different.

dcod

I will have to findout the make.

I see you have the 2zz out of a Lotus! Did it cost a bit? Where is your rev limiter, 8500? Mine is 8200 (Celica GTS).

Ilogik

Its from a corolla, but I think my ecu is either from a celica or a corolla, i lost track as we swapped them around a few times. You can pick up the cover from lotus for about £16, good for keeping your spark plugs dry.

dcod

I may get one. Definitely makes the engine look neater.

This is what my engine sounds like. Seems like quite a few people think there's something wrong judging by the YouTube clips I've seen.

m http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h47 ... EO0002.mp4 m

Ilogik

Sounds the same, this is an old video, since this was done I have had the chain bearing changed. Or it was the aircon belt, one or th eother can't remember which.

m http://youtu.be/aSXOoOhp_Ng m

Ilogik

Here is one i did today, sounds much cleaner since the bearing was replaced.

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zvcy00EiY m

dcod

The first sounds exactly like mine ... a bag of spanners.

Can't hear your engine in the second ... someone's doing some major hoovering with a dual cyclone industrial vac!   s:D :D s:D

Tags: