Help an amateur... please?!

Started by Anonymous, April 14, 2004, 09:03

Anonymous

Hello everyone. Can anybody give some technical advice to an amateur?

My missus has been complaining that the '2 feels like it's labouring a bit over the last few weeks. It's booked in for a service which I reckon will help and last night I cleaned the MAF sensor as per thread posted somewhere 'round here! Fairly easy task, not sure how effective yet.

Went to Halfords   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   and got a can of 10k-boost to blast through her, not as easy as I'd hoped. I can't get the pipe off that leads into the throttle body from the air filter, it will not budge no matter how hard I pull at it.

So I took off a small U-shaped pipe   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:   from the side of the main pipe hoping to spray in from there. The pipe is a sealed unit so I guess just acts as a plug in the main pipe. When I did this, we couldn't get her to tick over without keeping revs on and then it was getting very smelly out the back end so I assumed this is a bad thing and put it all back together.

Advice please anybody? How can I spray this 10k-boost directly into the throttle body? Simple instructions please! I'm rubbish at this kind of thing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

You need to spray the 10k boost in front of the MAF or the engine will just stall. It needs to detect that its being passed into the engine. Its also very tricky to use as you need to keep it at around 3000rmp iirc and as soon as you start to spray this in it drops the revs so the person in the passenger seat needs to keep adjusting the throttle to compensate.

Your best bet if you want to use this would be to open the air filter housing, remove the filter and spray in from there (saves you taking the pipe from the airbox off). You will see more crap coming out of the exhaust but thats what this stuff is supposed to be doing.

As for the funny smells youve made, i have no idea - maybe take it to MR T and get them to check your pre-cats maybe? Hows your oil level?

HTH

Anonymous

Oil level fine, but does need changing. I'm sure the smell is nothing to panic about... when i'd put it all back together it was fine again! Trial and error, always fun.

Don't know what pre-cats are so I won't even go there. But I will take out the TRD panel filter and spray the boost through from there. Should be fun... will have to stand clear of the exhaust though unless I want to end up looking like a chimney sweep! Many thanks!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Posts about what pre-cats are and why you should be keeping an eye on them are all over the forum (there is 1 a few posts below this one).

Anonymous

Oh good. Ours has done just over 30k and so would probably benefit from this... only problem is I'm not skilled enough to take all that stuff apart without making some kind of huge cock up. Stupid design really?

Anyway, thanks again for the tip on the 10k boost. Jono.

Tags: